Con il comunicato stampa di seguito allegato VIA ha lanciato ufficialmente i nuovi processori della famiglia Nano, i primi chip del produttore taiwanense concepiti in accordo alla architettura nota con il nome in codice di Isaiah. I nuovi Nano sono utilizzabili nei PC di fascia mainstream e nelle device mobile, come i notebook, dove è richiesta una naturale ottimizzazione per il consumo di potenza.
La linea di processori Nano, che è pin-compatible con la precedente generazione C7, è prodotta da Fujitsu in tecnologia a 65nm mediante l'adozione di un package nanoBGA2 avente le dimensioni di 21mm x 21mm ed assicura una dissipazione di potenza eccezionalmente bassa, essendo pari a 100mW (0.1W) in condizioni di IDLE.
I nuovi chip arriveranno sul mercato nel terzo trimestre dell'anno corrente. Seguono i modelli che per primi saranno disponibili in commercio, elencati per sigla e con il dettaglio, tra parentesi, sulla frequenza di clock del core, sulla frequenza del VIA V4 Bus e sul TDP: Nano L2100 (1.8GHz, 800MHz, 25W), Nano L2200 (1.6GHz, 800MHz, 17W), Nano U2400 (1.3+GHz, 800MHz, 8W), Nano U2500 (1.2GHz, 800MHz, 6.8W) e Nano U2300 (1.0GHz, 800MHz, 5W).
[Immagine ad alta risoluzione]
Beijing, China, 29th May 2008 - VIA Technologies, Inc, a leading innovator of power efficient x86 processor platforms, today announced the new VIA Nano processor family based on the VIA Isaiah Architecture.
Building on the market-leading energy efficiency of the VIA C7 processor family, the VIA Nano processor family offers as much as four times the performance within the same power range to extend VIA's performance per watt leadership, while pin compatibility with VIA C7 processors will ensure a smooth transition for OEMs and motherboard vendors, and provides them with an easy upgrade path for current system or board designs.
The first 64-bit, superscalar, speculative out-of-order processors in VIA's x86 platform portfolio, VIA Nano processors have been specifically designed to revitalize traditional desktop and notebook PC markets, delivering truly optimized performance for the most demanding computing, entertainment and connectivity applications, including Blu-ray Disc HD video playback and the latest PC games, such as Crysis.
The VIA Nano processor family leverages Fujitsu's advanced 65 nanometer process technology for enhanced power efficiency, and augments that with aggressive power and thermal management features within the compact 21mm x 21mm nanoBGA2 package for an idle power as low as 100mW (0.1W), extending the reach of power efficient green and silent PCs, thin and light notebooks and mini-notes around the world.
"VIA Nano processors represent the next generation of x86 technology, providing the fundamental building blocks for a new genre of optimized computing solutions," said Wenchi Chen, President and CEO, VIA Technologies, Inc. "'Small is Beautiful' is more than a design strategy; it's our vision of where the PC market is heading and our new processors will help the market realize that dream."
VIA's 'nano' association also extends to VIA's signature silicon and platform design characteristics of power efficiency and form factor size reduction, as demonstrated by VIA's ultra compact Nano-ITX boards and the nanoBGA2 processor packaging used for the current VIA C7 processor family and the first generation of VIA Nano processors.
About the VIA Nano Processor Family
Initially to be launched in two skus, the VIA Nano L-series processors for mainstream desktop and mobile PC systems and the ultra low voltage U-series for small form factor desktop and ultra mobile devices such as mini-notes:
|Product & Model Name||Clock Speed||VIA V4 Bus||Maximum Power|
|VIA Nano L2100 processor||1.8GHz||800MHz ||25W|
|VIA Nano L2200 processor||1.6GHz||800MHz ||17W|
|VIA Nano U2400 processor||1.3+GHz||800MHz ||8W|
|VIA Nano U2500 processor||1.2GHz||800MHz ||6.8W|
|VIA Nano U2300 processor||1.0GHz||800MHz ||5W|
The VIA Nano processor family boasts the highly efficient VIA V4 bus interface and brings a host of technology firsts to VIA's processor platform line-up, including:
- 64-bit Superscalar Speculative Out-Of-Order MicroArchitecture: Supports a full 64-bit instruction set and provides for macro-fusion and micro-fusion functionality, and sophisticated branch prediction for greater processor efficiency and performance.
- High-Performance Computation and Media Processing: The high-speed, low power VIA V4 Front Side Bus starting at 800MHz, plus a high floating point unit, support for new SSE instructions, and two 64KB L1 caches and 1MB exclusive L2 cache with 16-way associativity gives a big boost to multimedia performance.
- Advanced Power and Thermal Management: Aggressive management of active power includes support for the new "C6" power state, Adaptive PowerSaver Technology, new circuit techniques and mechanisms for managing the die temperature, reducing power draw and improving thermal management.
- Scalable Upgrade to VIA C7 Processor: Pin-to-pin compatibility with current VIA C7 processors enables a smooth transition for OEMs and mainboard vendors, enabling them to offer a wider range of products for different markets with a single board or system design.
- Greener Technology: In addition to full compliance with RoHS and WEEE regulations, product manufacturing will be halogen-free and lead-free at launch, helping to promote a cleaner environment and more sustainable computing.
- Enhanced VIA PadLock Security Engine: Industry-leading on-die hardware cryptographic acceleration and security features, including dual quantum random number generators, an AES Encryption Engine, NX-bit, and SHA-1 and SHA-256 hashing.
For more detailed information about the VIA Nano processor family, please read the introductory white paper here: WP080529VIA_Nano.pdf
VIA Nano Processor Availability
VIA Nano processors are available now for OEMs and motherboard vendors, while systems featuring VIA Nano processors are expected to market in Q3 2008.
For further information on the VIA Nano processor family, please visit the VIA website at:
Source: VIA Technologies Press Release