S3 Graphics ha annunciato ufficialmente Chrome 400, la sua prima gamma di gpu pienamente compliant con le librerie grafiche DirectX 10.1. In accordo al comunicato stampa del produttore, che riportiamo di seguito nella lingua originale, si tratta di chip realizzati con un processo tecnologico a 65nm e capaci di offrire un ottimo rapporto tra il livello prestazionale garantito all'utilizzatore e la potenza elettrica dissipata, sia nelle varianti per i sistemi desktop che in quelle per i notebook.
Forti del supporto per la connettività PCI Express 2.0, i nuovi processori grafici Chrome 400 promettono, da un lato, una buona resa nel 3D Gaming, sia con i titoli attuali che con i prossimi basati sulle DirectX 10.1, e, dall'altro, una altrettanto valida capacità di riproduzione in High Definition dei contenuti dei dischi Blu-ray e HD-DVD conformi agli standard H.264, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, VC-1, WMV-HD e AVS. A tal proposito segnaliamo la dotazione della tecnologia proprietaria ChromotionHD 2.0 mediante la quale S3 consegue la riproduzione in Full HD (1080p).
Fremont, California, 15 February 2008 - S3 Graphics today announced the S3 Graphics Chrome 400 Series discrete graphics processors, designed to provide the latest gaming experience for energy-efficient desktop systems and portable notebook PCs coupled with outstanding HD content playback at the highest performance-per-watt ratio ever.
Using proven low power 65nm process technology, S3 Graphics Chrome 400 Series processors will support the latest Microsoft DirectX10.1 game engine and the PCI Express 2.0 bus technology, bringing superb performance and improved 3D gaming image and texture rendering in a remarkably power-efficient, low heat package.
Ultra thin and light notebooks and small form factor desktop PCs will now be able to take full advantage of the latest graphics with a discrete DirectX 10.1 capable graphics solution. These products, requiring extreme power-efficiency and rigidly low thermal specifications, will now be able to boast full HD video support and the latest in display connectivity.
Using the breakthrough ChromotionHD 2.0 fully programmable video architecture for true HD quality 1080p playback for Blu-ray and HD-DVD content, the Chrome 400 Series graphics processor will offer a state-of-the-art cinematic experience while remaining cool under the hood. The ChromotionHD engine will support the latest HD standards including H.264, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, VC-1, WMV-HD, and AVS.
"S3 Graphics has developed a product that will deliver incredible, high quality 1080p HD playback for Home Media Centers, Desktop PCs and Ultra Thin and Light Notebook PCs without creating the unwanted noise and heat often associated with high performance components," said Dr. Ken Weng, GM of S3 Graphics. “The feature-rich capabilities in the Chrome 400 Series will provide the end-user with a broad spectrum of new visual capabilities in a leading performance-per-watt product.”
The first GPUs of the S3 Graphics Chrome 400 Series will be available in late February 2008.
About the S3 Graphics Chrome 400 Series Graphics Processors
The 64-bit S3 Graphics Chrome 400 Series GPUs are based on cutting edge Fujitsu 65nm process technology incorporating the following key features:
- DirectX 10.1 Support: An S3 proprietary unified shader architecture supports the latest additions to DirectX 10.1 allowing realistic 3D rendering and increased visual acuity through improved Anti-aliasing (AA), Image/Texture improvements, higher precision formats, and programmable lighting effects. These improvements will allow users to experience life-like rendering and image quality in supported DirectX 10.1 applications.
- ChromotionHD Video Technology: Featuring a fully programmable video architecture with true HD quality 1080p playback for Blu-ray and HD-DVD content, the ChromotionHD engine supports the latest HD standards including H.264, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, VC-1, WMV-HD, and AVS, for a stunning movie experience. The video engine is also highly optimized with the decoding and post processing display pipeline that allows simultaneous acceleration of single and multiple video streams in HD format with vibrant colors and picture clarity.
- S3 Graphics PowerWise Technology: Sophisticated algorithms and power control mechanisms will allow Chrome 400 Series GPUs to deliver the optimal balance between performance and power on-the-fly, to meet performance and application requirements for power efficient graphics computing on thin and light notebook PCs and small form factor (SFF) PCs. Additional benefits allow users to increase time-between-charges by extending battery life and superior performance-per-watt operation, giving users a true mobile graphics platform for the latest 3D and HD video technologies. Enabling PowerWise on consumer desktops will provide an ideal platform for silent, fanless solutions in HD multimedia home systems. In the corporate market, PowerWise will reduce the total cost of ownership (TCO), minimizing electricity usage and cooling costs.
- PCI Express 2.0: Chrome 400 Series GPUs support the latest advances to the PC component interconnect by offering users the ability to boost the graphics performance of their current systems with the high throughput PCI Express 2.0 bus technology. The faster connection speed also allows users to take advantage of additional S3 Graphics technologies such as AcceleRAM which leverages system memory for image data storage, and MultiChrome Multi-GPU technology to unleash higher 3D rendering performance.
- Advanced Display Connectivity: Integrated digital display support with HDCP content protection will allow users to connect to a multitude of monitors, displays, and consumer electronic (CE) devices for HD content viewing across a secure display path. Built-in HDMI transmitters with HD Audio controllers allow seamless HDMI connectivity, without requiring external cable connectors for audio inputs into the GPU. Display interfaces include HDMI, dual-link DVI, DisplayPort, HDTV, and VGA. Supporting the latest display technologies ensures S3 Graphics can deliver an optimal viewing experience to the user for 3D and HD video.
More information on the S3 Graphics Chrome 400 Series may be found on the S3 Graphics website at: http://www.s3graphics.com/en/products/chrome_400/
Source: S3 Graphics Press Release
Tags: chrome | directx | gpu | grafica | s3