SFFT alpha drivers - V3/4/5 - Join to Testing

Started by Glide, 22 May 2004, 17:02:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Glide

Hi SFFT,

thanks a lot for clarification. And so... just we need you are releasing digitally signed updated 3dfx drivers for Windows 10... :)

Bye bye

SuperFurryFurryThing

Driver signing is basically not available to anything other than companies, and so a non-starter, also the 3dfx cards do not meet the design requirements of the new driver architecture. I have no idea how microsoft's legacy driver works. So we are basically stuffed so far as driver development goes. It went as far as it realistically could.

Sfft

Glide

Hi SFFT, thanks so much (as usual) for your precious feedbacks and yours guide ideas. And, so, we joyfully continue to use 3dfx cards with the Microsoft Operating Systems other than Windows 10. And - in my humble opinion - then this is not a bad scenario for us and 3dfx fans in general, because the OSes like Windows 98SE, Windows XP, Windows 7 are less demanding of hardware resources (of course I'm meaning not only graphics but also CPU, memory, bus, and so on).

So, on the one hand, we can gives up - w/out much regrets - Windows 10's wonderful GUI and Cortana for our 3dfx-based systems and, on the other hand, we can enjoy performance advantages offered by the legacy OSes to run games as well as techology demos.

Finally, always in my humble opinion, every 3dfx fan, enthusiast or user with the required skills could still contribute in Community with efforts aimed to improve and/or optimize the behaviour of 3dfx hardware in these software environments rather than follow not very useful or concrete goals.

Bye bye

mikepedo

Hello SFFT,
i have just one question: is possible to develop a totally software hsr that works in the transformation phase of the triangles, so that only the visible triangles reach the graphic card? With modern CPUs a Voodoo 5 PCI would greatly benefit from older but heavy games, such as Unreal 2, Doom 3, Painkiller...

m14radu

@SFFT: i can confirm, In Win7 64 bit with driver signing disabled the SFFT drivers works on v5.
i test them myself.

would be great to continue the drivers development, 3dfx must live on !
the actual generic driver from microsoft works good on win10, i can say its impresive for beeing a generic one. And i assume it is used only one VSA and 32mb ram.
i see a big potential imprevements here !

How can we convice you to develop a new win10 driver ?
One more time :)
Follow your dreams !

Glide

For a moment I'm leaving tech questions and answers only to you all (ciao Mikepedo ;)) and going off topic a little... because I like share the following thougth... This thread - first post on May 22th 2004, and so sixteen years ago, and latest post on today - how much passion for 3dfx does bring out [:0]? Sincerely, I'm thinking "a lot, a lot, a lot" [^].

Bye bye

m14radu

sure Glide, we are all here and active :)
3dfx passion is something special [^]
Follow your dreams !

mikepedo

QuoteOriginally posted by Glide

For a moment I'm leaving tech questions and answers only to you all (ciao Mikepedo ;)) and going off topic a little... because I like share the following thougth... This thread - first post on May 22th 2004, and so sixteen years ago, and latest post on today - how much passion for 3dfx does bring out [:0]? Sincerely, I'm thinking "a lot, a lot, a lot" [^].

Bye bye

Ciao!!!! :)

Novadale

I have a voodoo 5 5500 AGP. I am trying to run this driver in Windows Xp sp3 32bit and with 1.9 it just bluescreens with 0x0...8E. I am currently using AmigaMerlin's Driver, V3.1-R11 instead.

I was able to get SFFT Alpha 47 to install but not the SFFT tools so couldnt figure out how to turn of Vsync. The tools just run at 100% CPU for me and nothing happens.

This is on a Pentium 3 1400S with 512mb sd ram (2x256mb CL2) and my Motherboard is Soltek SL-65KV2-CT so apollo pro 133a?

I do also have a mac voodoo 5 5500 PCI flashed for PC and a voodoo 3 3000. Come to think of it I wonder if my bios settings may be an issue. Anyone have any suggestions?

*edit* My card works fine in windows 98SE and with the AmigaMerlin's Driver in XP and 2000. I tried installing SFFT 1.9 drivers in Win2k. The installer states invalid win32 application but manually updating the driver to the SFFT 1.9 works to install the driver. HOWEVER after restarting the PC the computer just resets after the start up screen no BSOD like XP.

I have tried 1.6-1.8 as well all of them give the same bluescreen caused by 3dfxvsm.sys.

*another edit* I have tried the voodoo 3 3000 and the pci voodoo 5 5500. The other v5 bluescreens with sfft 1.9 but I am able to get the voodoo 3 3000 to work. So no idea what I am doing wrong.

Novadale

Okay I have tested the driver with my PCI card on a different motherboard and it works so far. I will have to test more. Its weird how it doesnt work with the one motherboard but does with the other. Both Via chipsets.

Glide

Hi Novadale,

many thanks for your feedback. Could you share some specifications of the used test systems, including the 3dfx card(s) and motherboards?

Best regards.

Bye bye

Novadale

Hello the system was listed in the previous post.

Not working...
My Voodoo 5 5500 AGP nor the Voodoo 5 5500 pci mac flashed for pc both do not work on a  Pentium 3 1400S (1.4ghz with 512kb cache) with 512mb sd ram (2x256mb CL2 133mhz) and my Motherboard is Soltek SL-65KV2-CT
Apollo Pro 133A Northbridge via VT82C694T & Southbridge Via Vt82C686b

Working...
The Voodoo 5 5500 pci worked on the Tyan S1854 Trinity 400 Motherboard with a Pentium 3 1ghz 512mb of sd ram 133mhz
Apollo Pro 133A Northbridge Via VT82C694X & Southbridge Via VT82C596B

I was able to get the 3dfx tools to run in xp. When installing it will fail to register the dlls. After a restart open a cmd window and run REGSVR32 "c:Progam Files3dfx Interactive3dfx ToolsToolsAdvTweak.dll" and do that for each dll so Color.dll, Feature.dll, LCD.dll, TVOut.dll

Image Insert:Bluescreen error

99.3 KB

Glide

Hi Novadale,

thank you for your feedback. I'm thinking that error can be related to an hardware RAM issue and/or to software configuration of motherboard chipset. So at this step I'd switch to more conservative memory settings in BIOS and to install another release of VIA driver kit (are you using a Windows built-in driver or a by VIA build?).

Let us know.

Best Regards.

Novadale

QuoteOriginally posted by Glide

So at this step I'd switch to more conservative memory settings in BIOS and to install another release of VIA driver kit (are you using a Windows built-in driver or a by VIA build?).

I had installed via_hyperion_4in1_v456v.zip and just upgraded to via_hyperionpro_v524a.zip, in the device manager the system does show the via agp driver to be from via and not microsoft. In the bios I set the ram timing to cl 3. Even tried lowering the agp aperture size from 64m to 32m. I even updated my bios to the latest because it stated that one of the updates was agp compatibility. I tried enabling agp master 1 ws write and read as well. It still bluescreens with the exact same error.

Dolenc

Hello 3dfxzone community!

If anyone could help me, or point me in the right direction.
On a voodoo 5500, I added some more 16:9 resolutions.

Direct3d games work fine, resolutions are there, they work, happy times. Glide, I had no expectations.
But OpenGl doesnt work.

New resolutions show up. But then the image is "letterboxed", or just crashes with a warning.

Example (at this point champagne bottle was being opened)

But then the letterbox...

One of the resolutins, thats a bit of an oddball, is ofc 1600x1024, thats present as is. This one also isnt 4:3, but works fine.

Anyone know whats going on and if something can be done?