Which is the best mobo for a Voodoo5 5500 AGP?

Started by joidrovo, 10 August 2004, 03:21:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Onkel Adrian

Hi

I'm using the Voodoo5 5500 on the Albatron KX400+ PRO. No problems yet. You can also use any other KT333-Mainboard.

Best regards,
Adrian

darkfalz

Most FSB533 boards should be compatible with 3.3v AGP, I'd say that and a 2 GHz or so CPU would be an optimal match for the Voodoo 5 (ie. beyond that, EVERYTHING should be fill rate limited).
OS Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2 CPU Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHz with HT (Northwood)
Motherboard ASUS P4P800 Deluxe RAM 1 GB Kingston DDR400 3-3-3-8 Dual Channel
Video NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT AGP 256 MB Audio SoundMAX Digital Audio

OS Microsoft Windows ME CPU Intel Pentium III 1.0 GHz (Coppermine)
Motherboard ASUS P3V4X RAM 256 MB Kingston PC133 2-2-2-6
Video 3dfx Voodoo5 5500 AGP 64 MB Audio Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Obi-Wan Kenobi

The best mainboard for a Voodoo5 5500 AGP would be an ASUS A7V333-R Rev.1.04 that's the most stable I've had and still have. If You flash it with Bios 1017 you can use a max CPU rating of 3000+ Barton.

For Voodoo4&5 PCI users the MSI K8N Neo Platinum is a very stable and rock solid mobo. My Voodoo5 5500 PCI just found it's new home here for a while. It's a nForce3 250Gb mainboard for the ones that want to know that.
Powered By The Force, x-3dfx & The Jedi Academy

TM30

i've got an Epox 8K5A2 with KT333 Chipset, the last Chipset for AMD Athlon XP Processors with AGP 3.3v support...

i run a Athlon XP @2437Mhz... and 512MB RAM

runs all great

ArchAngelCD

Don't buy an Epox board, they are unreliable.
Buy an Asus or Abit board.
Go to thier sites and look for a board that will support AGP 2X

Asus http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/mbindex.htm

Abit http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/

It wiil be hard to find a motherboard that will support AGP 2X now because they are no longer needed, especially Intel chipset boards. You might find a good board on Ebay.

The Soyo board you listed above will support your Voodoo5 AGP.

Asus P4P800 i865PE | Intel 3.2 GHz P4C | 2048 Mb Kingston PC3200 Dual Channel DDR SRAM | 160 Gb Western Digital SATA HD | NEC ND-3520 16X DVD-RW | WinXP Pro SP2 | ATI Radeon X850 Pro | 6-channel AD1985 audio CODEC | 3Com 3C940 Gigabit LAN | Diamond Monster 3D II 24Mb SLI

Obi-Wan Kenobi

QuoteOriginally posted by Flash

The best mobo for Voodoo5 5500-6000 is MSI K8T Master2
How about Dual Opteron system ? :D

Well that's not gonna work dude, because that mobo has an AGP x8 Pro slot which is 1.5Volt. AGP x8 isn't compatible with AGP x2 3dfx cards, so you can forget by trying to put a Voodoo5 5500/6000 AGP in it.

A Voodoo5 5000 wil work because it has an AGP x4 conector like the Voodoo4 4500 has.

Flash

QuoteOriginally posted by Obi-Wan Kenobi

The best mobo for Voodoo5 5500-6000 is MSI K8T Master2
How about Dual Opteron system ? :D

Well that's not gonna work dude, because that mobo has an AGP x8 Pro slot which is 1.5Volt. AGP x8 isn't compatible with AGP x2 3dfx cards, so you can forget by trying to put a Voodoo5 5500/6000 AGP in it.

A Voodoo5 5000 wil work because it has an AGP x4 conector like the Voodoo4 4500 has.
AFAIK chipset supports 3.3v and it's possible to modify slot and use 2x cards.

V5 5000. Eh... it's waaay harder to find than V5 6K and it's not much faster than 4500.

BTW I have now Chaintech 7VJL (KT333) mobo - works fine w/ 5K5/6K
Can you stop the hurricane ?

Obi-Wan Kenobi

AFAIK chipset supports 3.3v and it's possible to modify slot and use 2x cards.

Well That isn't possible, because an AGP x8 slot is a reversed AGP x2 slot ;)

here a nice Diagram:

if you look at Fig. A and C. a AGP x2 card fit's without a problem

Fig.A is AGP x2 and Fig.C is AGP x2/x4 Universal.

Your MSI MS-9230 K8T Master2 FAR has a slot like that if Fig.B, look at this photo carefully:

So you can tell me that a 3.3 Volt card mod could be possible, but there is now way you can fit a Voodoo5 5500 AGP x2 in your Dual Opteron Mobo.

Regards,

Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

Hi, sorry I don't mean to Necromance old thread but I just bought an MSI MSI K7T266 Pro2-A Mobo (for my Voodoo5 5500 of course). The questions are:

- Does it support Althon XP processor higher than 2000+? How about Barton?

- I'm using Windows 98, and I'm mostly playing old titles (better gameplay, you know!) like Total Air War, European Air War, Mig Alley, Crimson Skies, and Jane's USAF. The most recent FPS I would play are things like Deus EX, Arx Fatalis, and Morrowind at most. Will the Mobo sufficient for that purpose?

- I also heard that more than 2GHz is pointless because Windows 98 cannot take more clockspeed than 2GHz, and 3D performance won't increase either because above that speed the Voodoo5 fill rate will become the bottleneck. Is that true?

- How about DOS compatibility with that Mobo? (DOS sound cards etc) The reason I'm asking this is because I will be playing DOS 3dfx games like Jetfighter III or Archimedean Dynasty.

Also, any tips to max out the performance of my Voodoo5 5500 with that Mobo? (particularly to increase FSAA performance). How about overclocking the Voodoo5, the Mobo, or both. Would they be any stability issue?

Thanks.

PS: I'm a belated Voodoo5 newbie. The reason I'm back to Voodoo is because I'd prefer old games due to better gameplay (especially flight-sims). Now I'd be going medieval on myself for stop using Voodoo since Voodoo2, so I would really appreciate any tips regarding to Voodoo5; especially FSAA performance. Thanks again.

trigger

Anyone seen or used the Soyo SY-P4I 845PE ISA Motherboard

http://www.baber.com/baber/411/soyo_sy-p4i-845pe-isa.htm

Looks ideal for either AGP or PCI Voodoo5 and caters for Voodoo2SLI as well. Especially for those older titles like EF2000 or JetFigher III, which idealy want an ISA sound card.

I guess my question really comes down to the Intel i845PE chipset.
Anyone had good or bad experiences with it?
Voodoo5 5500 AGP
Voodoo5 5500 PCI DVI x3 (exorcised MAC cards)
Voodoo4 4500 PCI
Voodoo2 1000 PCI x4 (two boxed and factory sealed)
Voodoo1
miroHISCORE 3D
Canopus PURE3D

Nightbird

Didn't see a modern mobo with slots Isa since "some" time now.
(with Via, the last chipset which supports Isa is the KT133A)
Well, the problem here, is according Soyo, 3.3V AGP card (essentially this means all AGP 1X and AGP 2X cards) are not supported. Only 1.5V AGP cards essentially this means any card that supports AGP 4X or higher) can be used in this mainboard.
But sounds interesting for a V4 4500 Agp or a Voodoo card Pci..
i saw it also here, on Soyo e-store :
http://shop.soyousa.com/customer/product.php?productid=314&cat=&page=

In-ter-ac-tive :
The way video games were always meant to be played

Welcome to 3dfxzone.it Community

xap0h

I can highly recommend Epox 8k3a. This mobo :
-is kt333
-with bios update can run on 166 fsb with agp/pci on 66/33
-is stable (not like the dfi crap i've used before epox - ad75)

There are three types of
people in this world, those who can count, and those that can't!

m14radu

Im recently get an biostar mobo called M7VIG-PRO D, in order to set up my second PC ( 3dfx PC ) with an voodoo5 5500 AGP.
The problem is that im not 100% sure about the AGP port compatibility.
Will it work ?
Have somebody experience with this board ?

Thanks.

Radu
Follow your dreams !

Nightbird

This is the link to your mobo :
http://www.biostar.com.tw/products/mainboard/board.php?name=M7VIG%20Pro

In the manual (M7VIG-Pro), i see :
AGP Mode
This item allows you to select the AGP Mode.
The Choices: 4X (default), 2X, 1X.

I don't know Agp 1x at 1.5 v.

The best when you will try your mobo is to go immediately in the bios (AGP & P2P Bridge Control) and to start in Agp 1x.

In-ter-ac-tive :
The way video games were always meant to be played

Welcome to 3dfxzone.it Community

m14radu

thanks for your quick answer.
So you suggest to start the mb with an agp4x video card, change the agp to 1x in the bios, restart, and only then insert the v5 ?
I belive that the mobo will automaticaly recognize and ajust the voltage  ( 3.3V ) for the agp1x.

Radu.

Follow your dreams !