y bother?

Started by poooooo, 03 May 2005, 00:35:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Caravel

Well I'm not sure mr 'pooo' really insulted any of you, though you have responded by insulting him. Of course, registering in order to post a collection of negative comments on the subject matter of the forum itself, seems to be rather a wasted registration, but he wasn't exactly trolling your board IMHO.  The first response to his post was an insult to him in fact, after which, the rest of you seeing this as a licence, followed suit.  A board should have solid rules not a biased 'free for all' whenever someone posts something that the majority don't agree with.

Indeed the cards are old, and indeed an individual would most likely be better off with a Geforce4 than a Voodoo5 6000 if playing newer games without any kind of fuss on the agenda, but for the most part these old cards are pretty ok, and supported well in Linux wheras ATi are not supported very well at all.  Nvidia seem to have forgotten about backwards compaitibilty and older games running under XP with their newer line of cards are getting troublesome to say the least, so another reason to hang onto a Voodoo or two.

gdonovan

QuoteOriginally posted by Caravel

Well I'm not sure mr 'pooo' really insulted any of you, though you have responded by insulting him.

If you review my post, I answered the question with no insults.

Indeed the cards are old, and indeed an individual would most likely be better off with a Geforce4 than a Voodoo5 6000 if playing newer games without any kind of fuss on the agenda.

Heh, it's nothing to do with playing newer games.

As they say, you would had to have been there to understand where one comes from.

Voodoo5

@Caravel,

Sorry, but IMO he was being very rude and disrespectful to all board members and has brought all this on himself by the nature of his topic.

How can you defend his last sentence and think everyone else started the rudeness ;)

Nightbird

@ Caravel
QuoteA board should have solid rules not a biased 'free for all' whenever someone posts something that the majority don't agree with.
And this is because of these "solid and not biased rules" that you can write freely.

In-ter-ac-tive :
The way video games were always meant to be played

Welcome to 3dfxzone.it Community

Caravel

QuoteOriginally posted by gdonovan

Indeed the cards are old, and indeed an individual would most likely be better off with a Geforce4 than a Voodoo5 6000 if playing newer games without any kind of fuss on the agenda.

Heh, it's nothing to do with playing newer games.

As they say, you would had to have been there to understand where one comes from.

If you're going to quote me then try to quote my entire paragrapgh as that is only partial and thus quite misleading...

And I think you'll find I was 'there'... ;)

gdonovan

If you're going to quote me then try to quote my entire paragrapgh as that is only partial and thus quite misleading...

I wasn't talking about you.

Caravel

QuoteOriginally posted by gdonovan

I wasn't talking about you.

You quoted me twice, then followed up with two paragraphs referring to no one in particular, so you'll forgive the presumption on my part.

poooooo

QuoteOriginally posted by Jules

Maybe he doesn't know that if there was no 3dfx there would never been a GF4 [:p] ( probably )

ur wrong actually. i have previously owned a voodoo graphics, voodoo 2 and voodoo5 5500 pci.

i used to be part of a forum long ago that supported 3dfx. my interest ended in 3dfx when the countless complaints came flowing in that no games would work or programs wouldnt function in windows due to display problems. indeed no one has produced a "new" fully working driver that isnt based on old drivers that corrects this. if they had i prolly wouldnt be here now.

suppose the point am tryin to get accross is y bother with hardware thats slowly rotting away. i 4t people would embrace the idea of new technology. you just seem 2 brand people "nvidiots" or "trolls" for people that have decided to move on. its a horrible way for 3dfx to die. it has lost its dignity by people flooding their old drivers with new, so called "enhanced" features and realeasing them as their own. fine it was great for quake 3 etc. hell they were great days.

theres no point banning me beacsue i wont be back. i am just enjoying my right to freedom of speech.

cya.

r21vo

one just doesn't understand that 3dfx cards now has a different meaning to their owners, noone is saying they are top performance cards nowdays, even some cheap low-end card is more powerful than these old voodoos, but one thing is clear - 3dfx revolutionized world of realtime 3d graphics. It's like first kiss - those who have felt it never forget, those who don't - doesn't understand, and probably won't.

3dfx tricks, tests and wallpapers

3dfx.rule.lv

Voodoo5

@r21vo,

Quotebut one thing is clear - 3dfx revolutionized world of realtime 3d graphics. It's like first kiss - those who have felt it never forget, those who don't - doesn't understand, and probably won't.

Exactly, well said ;)

gdonovan

suppose the point am tryin to get accross is y bother with hardware thats slowly rotting away.

It has little to do with keeping the hardware working with new games, more with keeping the spirit of 3dfx alive.

That is what you are missing.

i 4t people would embrace the idea of new technology.

You assume much- I have a P4 in the corner with a wicked overclocked 9800Pro. I play 90's vintage games on my V5-6000 or Mercury system though ;-)

For some people it's a challange, personally if someone wants to get Doom3 running on a Voodoo II more power to them.

its a horrible way for 3dfx to die. it has lost its dignity by people flooding their old drivers with new, so called "enhanced" features and realeasing them as their own.

Question for you- If Nvidia bit the dust tomorrow do you think there would be websites keeping Nvidia products alive 5 years from now?

No, there would not because Nvidia did not do what 3dfx did which was revolutionize the PC market.

i am just enjoying my right to freedom of speech.

On a private owned board that "freedom" is a privilage granted by the owner and admins and can be revoked at will for violating the board rules or even at the board owners whim.

What you going to do, call Jesse Jackson if your not allowed to post?

BFG3dfx

Ah, this is so funny, its like hes upset about his rotten life and is gonna share it with us and the fact he picked the 3dfx part of this board proves it, why come and tell ppl that are enjoying themselfs to stop it, very sad little fellow, dont anyone be mad at him hes not very happy or wouldnt have ever come here, he would have gone to a nvidia board and talked with his fellow nvidia friends, poor fellow
you live on your knees im gonna die on my feet.

caifornia native

Amigamerlin

i used to be part of a forum long ago that supported 3dfx. my interest ended in 3dfx when the countless complaints came flowing in that no games would work or programs wouldnt function in windows due to display problems.

Ok, but this was the past !! now is completely different !!

indeed no one has produced a "new" fully working driver that isnt based on old drivers that corrects this. if they had i prolly wouldnt be here now.

Again, this was the PAST. Actually driver are completely NEW driver, with all the section re-writed (glide3x, opengl, D3D rewritten). Sure they are not perfect but we are doing a lot of step in the right direction.

it has lost its dignity by people flooding their old drivers with new, so called "enhanced" features and realeasing them as their own. fine it was great for quake 3 etc. hell they were great days.

I'm lost. Who loose their dignity? We at 3dfxzone surely not !! I'm wrong? If you think different about, you have to motivate what do you write and you can't come here and writing what you wrote !!

Fact is fact and are different. We at 3dfxzone, starting from a point, have released only NEW set of driver and personally I've released a complete NEW SET with Amigamerlin 3.1-R6. For New set I intend not older 3dfx files related!! In fact NEW OPENGL (from mesa.. thanks Daniel) NEW D3D CORE  (from SFFT) new Glide3x (from sourceforge), old /new (new becase not from 3dfx) Glide2x wrapper from Colourless.

A driver Born from community and interely not 3dfx releated !! Skilled Guys have lost a lot time coding this set and if you are trying to write that are FAKE, I can become really really mad.

I think you loose the point and wrinting what you wrote without reflect you INSULTING US, what we have do in the past and what we are doing right now. I think you should try NEW DRIVER before talk about it [}:)] and talking without the knowledge .

I rememeber you again that this place is where is now the soul and the spirit of 3dfx and this place have a STRONG COMMUNITY. Obviously if you came here "trolling" no one can say you "welcome".  

theres no point banning me beacsue i wont be back. i am just enjoying my right to freedom of speech.
cya.

Maybe you are right, we have no point for banning you but if you come here for begin a flame or for ranting us "ditch your voodoo cards" you are not in the right place, and falming is against the forum's rules.
Amigamerlin
3DFXZONE MODERATOR
Powerd By Voodoo5 6000

Nightbird

Quotei used to be part of a forum long ago that supported 3dfx. my interest ended in 3dfx when the countless complaints came flowing in that no games would work or programs wouldnt function in windows due to display problems. indeed no one has produced a "new" fully working driver that isnt based on old drivers that corrects this. if they had i prolly wouldnt be here now.
So it sounds that you were on this other forum a very long time ago...
No one has produced a "new" driver ? sorry but you're in late. Never heard spoken of MesaFx or SFFT or Glide at SourceForge? A new OpenGl Icd has been written also.
But The difference with the programers that you find with Ati, Nvidia, S3, XGI... is easy to understand : noone here is a professional programer (except D.Borca) and noone is paid for their job ; all is free and taken on their free time.
So feel free to contribute before critizing...without knowing...

Quoteits a horrible way for 3dfx to die. it has lost its dignity by people flooding their old drivers with new, so called "enhanced" features and realeasing them as their own
What's horrible way to die ? Sorry but you're wrong ; it keeps its dignity because some people improved "old" cores or released "new" cores, because some boards exist always giving the support without needing to flame the old hardware...

Read again this topic that you opened. 4 years after their death, 3dfx can always cause some "passion".
I don't think that we will see the same if Ati or NVidia dead one day.

You've decided to move on ? you're free, no ? like many people here owning "in the corner" a machine with the last new gfx card... So what's the problem for you ?

Quotesooner you realise that ur the laughing stock of the gfx card comminity the better.
Frankly no problem for me and if you have still a doubt, "your" "gfx card community" would not exist without 3dfx.

In-ter-ac-tive :
The way video games were always meant to be played

Welcome to 3dfxzone.it Community

hanksemenec

We still love to tinker with VooDoo!
Why?
Because we can :D

Depending on your skill level, you can learn a lot about 3D implementation. Sure you can read books etc., but you can not replace hands on experience and experimentation. Try that with some one elses hardware and software.

For those about to VooDoo, I salute you!

Hank