What is this Voodoo5 ? Agp 4x Support ?

Started by sloomy, 15 October 2003, 00:42:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolo01

Ok, lets get this straight.
I have a V5-5000 that looks like the 5500 shown above, it has the AGP 4x notch but is missing the DVI port.
Can I really put this baby into a 1.5V only AGP slot ?
I remember some old cards ( like Riva TNT or Savage ) having that notch but they were true 3.3V cards...
The last thing I want is to blow up that V5 and/or my mainboard...

amp_man

does it have the place to install a DVI connector, i.e. the sodier points? if so, it is just like sloomy's, and if not it still should work (although you might wait for someone else to second this), in the 1.5V slot. i think the Savage and i know the TNT was an nVidia card, that should explain it...

when the sun goes down, the music turns up...

Windows XP Pro|Athlon XP 1800+|GeForce2(temporarily, for compatibility purposes)|
MSI K7T266Pro2-A|768MB DDR 2700 RAM|SonicEdge 5.1 Sound Card|Sony 500 watt 5.1 surround sound
When the sun goes down, the music turns up...

Windows XP Pro|Athlon XP 1800+|Voodoo 5 5500 AGP|MSI K7T266-A|768MB DDR 2700 RAM|SonicEdge 5.1 Sound Card

Hiero

Although many Voodoo cards (including the V4 4500) have these notches, non of them will actually run with 1,5V. They will be destroyed, so don't even try it.
Obviously many of these engeneering samples were sold; There was a Voodoo5 5500 AGP DVI on ebay and the seller simply found it in his computer. That's the same thing with the 5000. Probably many people do have such an oem card in their pc without even knowing what some people would pay for it. @ Rolo: Where did you get your 5000 from ?

< We`ll change the face of 3D graphics... again > 3dfx
< We`ll change the face of 3D graphics... again > 3dfx

bloodworm

hiero knows nothing.  the V4 IS a true 1.5V/3.3V card and will work in both types of slots with no damage.  the VSA-100 already IS a 1.5V capable part.  It is just that the MOTHERBOARDS AGP slot will not support the dual VSA-100 chips interface (without a bridge to negotiate) and so is gimped down to 1x/2x PCI66 no matter how hard you try......   BUT the V5/V4 cards with the extra slot WILL work in a 1.5V AGP board without a problem..... the older TNT type cards refered to before all had a set of physical jumpers to configure the card for 3.3V or 1.5V (but not both) and really WOULD dammage a board if not configured right.
Bloody Mess

Rolo01

I checked again, but my V5-5000 has no soldering points for a DVI output.
I bought this card from Boingball, a user at the x3dfx forum.
He got it directly from Reid as a gift...
I guess it could be an engineering sample, as there is the obvious NOT FOR RESALE sticker on the back...

amp_man

okay, a fourth opinion? it appears the second and third conflict. anyone know if this card works @1.5V? (lecram you can jump in any time now, you prolly know better than i do)

Windows XP Pro|Athlon XP 1800+|GeForce2(temporarily, for compatibility purposes)|
MSI K7T266Pro2-A|768MB DDR 2700 RAM|SonicEdge 5.1 Sound Card|Sony 500 watt 5.1 surround sound

Windows XP Pro|Athlon XP 1800+|Voodoo 5 5500 AGP|MSI K7T266-A|768MB DDR 2700 RAM|SonicEdge 5.1 Sound Card

Nightbird

@Hiero
the 3Dfx V4 4500 is a true card 1.5v/3.3v, verify in the bios of your mobo...
the problem can be the PowerColor 4500 TV : i own this card and this is a 3.3v, agp 2x

@Rolo01
i own a 5000 agp (2*16 mo sgram in sli) and this card runs like a 3.3v, agp 2x

Network powered by 3Dfx and AMD

In-ter-ac-tive :
The way video games were always meant to be played

Welcome to 3dfxzone.it Community

Knuckles

guys, I'm ready to exchange my almost new Voodoo 5 5500 PCI for a Voodoo 4 PCI with TV-out if anyone interested ;) but still, a V4 with tv-out is great!

btw, my V5 pci have the places to put the DVI on it, is there any ways to add it (by someone)?

beta

No the 1.5V key as well as the 3.3V key indicates AGP Universal 2.0.  I have never seen this problem where you plug in the Voodoo5 and your mobo goes into meltdown.  The slot will simply not allow you to istall the card.  The only exception being the AGP Pro slots hwere people have somehow manged to install none pro cards incorrectly!?  Hence the yellow warning label on Pro slots.

Anyone exchanging a Voodoo5 for a Voodoo4 is making a terrible mistake.  I have both cards and I can tell you the Voodoo4 is a complete con.  And was never worth the money.

Only the AGP Universal Voodoo4 and 5 PCB's have soldering points for DVI or S-Video.

V5 5500 & V4 4500 sys' ~ Mandrake Linux 9.1

amp_man

QuoteOriginally posted by beta

Only the AGP Universal Voodoo4 and 5 PCB's have soldering points for DVI or S-Video.

Should all the AGP universal V4/5 PCBs have DVI sodiering points? it sounds like his doesn't, but is universal

hanksemenec

Yes the notch means that 1.5V support is there. No, the card will not be destroyed when plugged into 4X only system. The IO voltage is sparated from 3.3V and takes VVDQ from the slot (3.3V or 1.5V).

Mainly, V4 does run AGP 4X protocol, that is the only one! If the card is notched with 1.5V key then it will run.

Hank

cosworth6k

QuoteOriginally posted by hanksemenec

Yes the notch means that 1.5V support is there. No, the card will not be destroyed when plugged into 4X only system. The IO voltage is sparated from 3.3V and takes VVDQ from the slot (3.3V or 1.5V).

Mainly, V4 does run AGP 4X protocol, that is the only one! If the card is notched with 1.5V key then it will run.

Hank

Thanks for reply!!

Abit nf7-s revision2 barton 3200+ 1 gb ddr 400 voodoo5 6000 agp-pci pioneer a06
3dfx ZoNe moderator