3dfx voodoo 5 6000

Started by omega_supreme, 21 February 2004, 19:57:40

Previous topic - Next topic

omega_supreme

Im very sure the monitor can handle it. its a state of the art 22" monitor from iiyama and in very proud of it :DI alway played my games on 2048x1536 (@ geforce 4 ti4600) if they would allow (such as q3 and ut and cs). I also know that fsaa on the v5 6000 wont go above 1024, according to amigamerling, and as far as i know they really don't. But resolutions should not be a problem i thought. Unfortuantely it seems that the v5 6000 cant have 2048. The strange thing is that 1920x1440 doesnt show any problems at all. Depending on the kind of drivers different immages are produced. My favorite (amigamerlin 3.0 + mesafx 0.51h) look like the monitor cant handle it (but it can, im really sure) and the latest official drivers on win98 produce a small piece of the real size image(emphasized). I bougt the cars indirectly from hank semenec (through amigamerlin) Do you think i should contact hank about it? Thank you very much for your help and patience with me :)

omega_supreme

OK i foud out! its just the drivers that are not far enough develloped. Resolution are only supported up to 1280x1024 according to amigamerlin. So we just have to wait a little longer to play at these resolutions ;)

dborca

@omega_spreme
If you were testing OpenGL games, using MesaFX, I'm pretty sure I have limited the max resolution at GR_RESOLUTION_1600x1200. It's not that the driver can't handle better resolutions. It's because everything beyond 1024 is futile on my 15" state-of-the-art 1984 NEC monitor. :D :D :D

MesaFX should support upto GR_RESOLUTION_2048x2048, according to Glide, although I cannot test.[:p]

PS: I'm not kidding: I love my NEC. Crystal clear image with perfect geometry!
Regards,
Daniel Borca

omega_supreme

The game i tested withmesafx was quake 3. I noticed that it only went up to 1600x1200. When i switched to 2048x1536 the screen began to show really weird things. Black an purple stripes, as if the monitor couldnt handle it. Well anyway i asked amigamerlin about it and he said it was because the drivers were still in beta stage. But now that you mentioned the limit of 1600x1200 that could explain the quake issue. But i was also testing serious sam (second encounter) and it went up to 1920x1440. But again it failed at the 2048x1526. That was without mesafx. Now i understand that above 1024 is futile with a 15" monitor (im using one right now) but isnt there a way i can disable the 1600x1200 limit? It would really make me happy if i could play at the highest resolution. Even if it was just to once reach the limit of imagequality ;) thank you.

Obi-Wan Kenobi

Aloha everyone, I came across Something, I took a peek on the back of my Voodoo3 3500, Voodoo4 4500 and Voodoo5 5500 Box and I saw a sceme saying the following:

Memory:           64MB Memory, 128Bit Interface
Fill Rate:           667 MegaPixels a second
Max 2D Resolution:   2048 x 1536 x 24bpp
Max 3D Resolution:   1600 x 1200 x 32bpp

Well 1600x1200 sems to be the maximum 3D Resolution of all Voodoo3,4 and 5 cardsm and also the V5 6K. So I guess that that sceme should give us all more answers.

P.S. here is also a Voodoo Jet Fighter!:

McDonnell Douglas CF-101B - MC Voodoo  
Canadian Air Force 57-433 s/n 101-560

Powered By The Force, x-3dfx & The Jedi Academy

omega_supreme

She's a beauty ;) and also my first modelkit lol [:p]

omega_supreme

Now it works thanks to our friend obi one ;)It had to take away the mesafx file because of the 1600x1200 limit. And the colordepth must be set on 16bbp. The result you get is awesome! Next thing is to find a glide game with such a resolution [:p]Well ill put an image here as prove but an ingame image looks bad. The cam cannot take pictures of such fast moving frames unfortunately. Maybe some time ill make a screenhot if you want. Wel im off tomplay some more games @ 2048x1536 :)....and don't forget we owe it all to OBI WAN

Image Insert:

437.48 KB

p.s.)before i forget Q3 : 2048x1536x16 = 52.8 fps

perer

Ow damn, how stupid of me.
( I am insulting myself!! )
I posted on gathering of tweakers a message asking the FPS.
You don't have to reply Omega. And I have to say that 52 fps is quite impressive.
Start War and peace will be appreciated

NitroX infinity

I believe you can use a hotkey in Quake3 to make ingame screenshots.
Don't know which one it is though.
If Q3 doesn't have such a button try print-screen and past it in an image editor (psp, ps, etc).

omega_supreme

QuoteOriginally posted by perer

Ow damn, how stupid of me.
( I am insulting myself!! )
I posted on gathering of tweakers a message asking the FPS.
You don't have to reply Omega. And I have to say that 52 fps is quite impressive.

You dont have to insult yourself, i dont mind;)
take a look at GoT and you will see the results in dutch.

Amigamerlin

Hi Omega_supreme
I'm happy that you was able to reach the resolution that you want but I need to precise some thing:

Voodoo 5 6k ( D3d Section of Amigamerlin 3.0 ) can go up to 1600x1200 or above but no one have tested it at this resolution then we can't assure that in this res the card works correctly. :D
At 1280x1204 I have tested it personally and the card works ok !!

Now , because you are able to manage this resolution with your monitor can do a lot of testing in D3D and opengl and give us a good feedback. :D

in opengl  Section (MesaFX) I think Daniel can remove the 1600x1200 limitation but we must try before release it officially.

Bye to all :)
Amigamerlin
3DFXZONE MODERATOR
Powerd By Voodoo5 6000

omega_supreme

Aaarggg just typed a whole book and something went wrong with the upload[:(!]well here i go again :

As i just typed, i would like you to know that i have only tested the extreme resolutions on Quake 3 Arene under windows Xp and amigamerlin 3.0 I also managed to play serious sam the second encounter on 1920x1440 with 32 bbp(that was really strange). However that was under win98 with the latest official 3dfx drivers (1.04 or something, not sure) I also did some testing on glide with unreal tournament. It went up to 1600x1200 with 16 bbp. Somehow glide wont recognise 32 bit (maybe it has something to do with the whole v3 thing)When i put it on D3D render (with the ini file) it looked awfull. It was tooooo bright and everything looked really blurry. I think it's the render itself but i can do some more testing if preferred. Call of Duty was also playable on 1600x1200x32 but that was because of the limit of the mesafx file. Although it couldn't go past 1600 it looked great. I had all the detail on the maximum and the card still produced a good playable 25 frames a second. Without the mesafx file the game is hopeless on a voodoo 5 6000/5500. Anyway it would be great if daniel would be able to get the limit off. And i would be honored if i could test it for you guys ;) . Well the 6k is back on the 15" monitor now, i cant wait until next time ;)

bye

Obi-Wan Kenobi

Well as you all can see 3dfx is not short lived at all, thier remaining cards still show a wollap of agressive power at the games of today, 3dfx is still a powerfull Ally, as it always will be on our perspective :)

3dfx 4-Ever everyone :)

You did some great tests Omega_Supreme!! It is nice to see that de Voodoo5 6000 is also owned by dutch bloke  LOL :D And quite amazing that it handles QuakeIIIArena at 2048x1536x16 with an astonishing 52 Frames per Sec!!! This means that Amigamerlins and his team did a fabulous job of making stable drivers for the Voodoo5 series cards! That's a compliment from me guys!. The Force Is With You, I can sense it.