wickedgl doesnt work in xp..

Started by ps47, 14 November 2004, 21:30:21

Previous topic - Next topic

ps47

..gives me this message:

Image Insert:

8.75 KB

is this a known fact or am I doing something wrong..?
(athlonxp 3000,voodoo2SLI,winxp,fastvoodoo2 xp 4.0ge)

Nightbird

"known fact" or rather old "error message known"
but the problem is to know why and its exact meaning [:p]
Not sure that's a problem with WickedGl
With All the games or only with some or one game ?

In-ter-ac-tive :
The way video games were always meant to be played

Welcome to 3dfxzone.it Community

dborca

QuoteOriginally posted by Nightbird

"known fact" or rather old "error message known"
but the problem is to know why and its exact meaning [:p]
Not sure that's a problem with WickedGl
With All the games or only with some or one game ?
ehm... well, it means exactly what it says: mipmap cannot span 2 MByte boundary... go figure...

this is a limitation for v1, rush and v2. it goes back in the days of v1, when the total amount of texture memory was 2MB. the driver needs to correctly align textures in order to prevent crossing this hard-limit.

another trick is to force TM to be at max 2MB (through some envvars, ini files or registry entries). this is, of course, crappy, since even 4MB is quite less nowadays...
Regards,
Daniel Borca

ps47

hmm..seems like wickedgl+voodoo2+xp doesnt work..every game I have tried shows this error message (all quakes,half-like,mohaa)..
anyone tried this hw/sw combination? I would like to now if this is a no-go or if it is just me doing something wrong.
..tested a bit more,and icd seems to be working..but only version xx505 or older,newer ones show coruuption or simply crash.not a big deal,I was just curious (I know that wicked works fine for v3 and up under xp,seems like v2 is not the case.well,another bit of voodoo knowledge added;))

Nightbird

Quoteehm... well, it means exactly what it says: mipmap cannot span 2 MByte boundary... go figure...
I know but that doesn't explain the problem with WickedGl (under XP ?)

In-ter-ac-tive :

dborca

QuoteOriginally posted by Nightbird

Quoteehm... well, it means exactly what it says: mipmap cannot span 2 MByte boundary... go figure...
I know but that doesn't explain the problem with WickedGl (under XP ?)
really? why? because of XP?

the 3dfx drivers might employ a texture management scheme based on
certain system calls (the surface management).
Regards,
Daniel Borca

Nightbird

If you set SET SST_TMUMEM_SIZE=2, you will limit the texture memory to 2 mb even if you have more but is the error message now "generic" or limiting the texture memory can it improve the problem ? (though not perfect [:p])

In-ter-ac-tive :

dborca

trial and error is the best way to answer this.

if the error still appears,

1) the limiting does not take place (for various reasons)
2) the problem lies elsewhere and the window displays simply the wrong error message
3) the wickedgl is so dumb that it still asks the system to allocate a texture over this limit (technically, it would be like trying to ilegally cross the border of an island-republic. *grins to those people who can't use their own heads to carry the logic further*)

note that a texture can span a 2MB boundary, but a mipmap can't :D
Regards,
Daniel Borca

ps47

..ok,located the problem.under xp,wickedgl incorrectly assumes a voodoo3 is installed,and that results in that error.under 98se,it finds voodoo2 SLI without problems..

ps47

..got new info.wickedg/minigl problems are caused by some nasty bug in fastvoodoo2 4.0xp driver,fv2 3.0 works fine.so let us take a closer look at the fastvoodoo2 4.0xp driver:

-minigl doesnt work (bug)
-wickedgl doesnt work (bug)
-old glide2x games dont work (because of the glide2x to 3x wrapper)

I'm not trying to insult anyone,but isnt this kind of driver a bit..useless? [B)]

Nightbird

For a full constructive criticism, how the driver 3.5 for Win2k/XP works since it uses the same glide (2 & 3) as the 3.0 for Win2k/XP ?
On a side note, indeed i have observed that old games using glide2 have "difficulties" with the wrapper and sometimes/often, changing for a classical "glide 2" can really help.

thks

edit : what's your machine ?

In-ter-ac-tive :

ps47

ok,I have tested a bit.fastvoodoo2 3.0xp/3.5xp works fine.so I have installed fastvoodoo2 4.0xp and copied the glide2x from fv2 3.5 to my system32 folder and boom everything works.the wrapper was causing ALL the trouble..so fastvoodoo2 4.0xp works fine [8D],all you need to do is get rid of that wrapper..

gdonovan

QuoteOriginally posted by ps47

..gives me this message:

Image Insert:

8.75 KB

I run into the same error under NT- Clean install, Install Quantum3d drivers, install Wickedgl program, it installs mini drivers, start quake II/III and boom.

Roger Wilco

QuoteOriginally posted by ps47

ok,I have tested a bit.fastvoodoo2 3.0xp/3.5xp works fine.so I have installed fastvoodoo2 4.0xp and copied the glide2x from fv2 3.5 to my system32 folder and boom everything works.the wrapper was causing ALL the trouble..so fastvoodoo2 4.0xp works fine [8D],all you need to do is get rid of that wrapper..

Thanks for your post; this has fixed all the problems I was having!