Installing Voodoo 2 - Help

Started by raphaelmsx, 02 May 2006, 19:01:13

Previous topic - Next topic

raphaelmsx

Hi! I just bought a Voodoo 2 for my PC, it came with the FastVoodoo2 4.0 XP Gold Edition driver. I´ve installed this and the included demos worked fine, but dxdiag (running directx 9.0) reported no 3d device, half-life doesn´t work in OpenGL mode and on direct3d mode it only displays the first frame, then stop. Also tried Rainbow Six but with no luck, only worked with software display.

I know these are not native glide games, I am downloading unreal right now, but in the driver readme it´s says that works also with OpenGL and Direct3D.

What I am missing here? Please help. :)

My PC is: ASUS TUV4X, P-III 800MHz, 256MB ram and 9440 PCI video board.

Thanks!

Nightbird

Ehm, FastVoodoo2 4.0 XP Gold Edition driver will only work with OpenGl and Glide.

In-ter-ac-tive :
The way video games were always meant to be played

Welcome to 3dfxzone.it Community

raphaelmsx

Hmm, ok, but why Half Life doesn´t work on OpenGL?

Can I add other driver for directx and use in conjunction with this, or is there an
all-in-one (glide, opengl, d3d) driver?

raphaelmsx

Thanks, I´m at work now, I´ll try when I come home.

I installed Unreal Tournament and worked very fine in glide mode, all details on high and very fast fps! But for my tastes, the display is a bit soft, I think the anti-alias is very heavy. Can I tweek this (and other) settings for the voodoo 2?

Thanks again!

raphaelmsx

I´ve just installed the voodoomage2 you mentioned, but now Unreal doesn´t run in glide, it returns with this error: "_GlideInitEnvironment: glide2x.dll expected Voodoo, none detected".

Also, half-life doesn´t work on OpenGL (same error mentioned), and with D3D it runs below 1 fps and with "snow" on the screen.

Help!

Mikulaish

For opengl you need to use MesaFX or WickedGL->better for a V2 (can be found on this site). They both have an opengl32.dll that needs to be placed in the game folder. I would not recommand Voodoomage if you are not too experienced. For me Fastvoodoo 3.5 was the best solution. Do not worry about antialiasing, because there is no antialiasing with V2's.

ps47

check here for recommended drivers.once you install fastvoodoo2 correctly & patch it up with the correct glides,99% of games will run ok.

hint: dont use voodoomage unless you want to experiment (or reinstall windows).

raphaelmsx

Hi!

First, thanks for every answer, but I'm still with some problems.

I've installed WickedGL, but when I run Half-Life it displays this message:
Glide Fatal Error grTexDownloadMipMap: mipmap cannot span 2 Mbyte boundary

So, I installed the MesaFX, the game runs nice, but when I hit the ESC key, the game acts like it has been pressed the ESC key, but it freezes on the game display, so if I hit ESC again, it returns to the game action... The options menu doesn't show up, I can't quit the game, alt+enter and alt+tab does not work at all...

What's wrong and how do I fix these two things? I want to have both OpenGL drives running ok.

ps47

you are using a glide2x to glide3x wrapper.extract this package to your windows/system32 folder and use wickedgl,the game will run fine.mesafx is not very half life friendly,if memory serves..

raphaelmsx

Thanks!!! I just did what you said and half life is working fine now in minigl mode!  
I´ll try other opengl games later.
Thanks again :)