3dfxzone.it ~ SFFT Drivers ~ MesaFX ~ 3D-Analyze ~ 3dfx Headlines ~ 3dfx Cards ~
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | Search with Google | FAQ | 3dfxzone.it
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Index
 3dfx Hardware & Software
 General Discussions
 MesaFX
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Print topic

Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

Nightbird

1939 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2004 :  16:08:42  Show Profile  Visit Nightbird's Homepage  Send Nightbird a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
XP or Win2k

In-ter-ac-tive :
The way video games were always meant to be played

Welcome to 3dfxzone.it Community

Voodoo5
Average

Canada
157 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2004 :  21:05:14  Show Profile  Visit Voodoo5's Homepage  Reply with Quote
To clarify,

All of my above screen shots and their corresponding fps are to be considered coincidental, "I was getting while the getting was good" so to speak.

There are currently very noticeable\annoying graphical errors (not shown) for sure (textures & lighting).
examples: Sometimes while using the flashlight the light beam does not reflect/illuminate off of the expected surfaces. The Skin textures on human characters are extremely whitish. making fast left or right movements of your character will cause some viewable textures to temporarily disappear then reappear.

Maybe Daniel can clarify if any improvements can be made to correct some of the graphical errors

@sirkoz,
I was using fraps for the fps indicator and acquiring the shots, I will try to run a proper time-demo and report the results, but I would guess from my time so far in the game the average fps would be in the mid to high teens range on my system (some areas/situations were showing highs in the mid 40's while graphically intense sections of the game would drop down into high single digit to low teens range)

If you want to play Doom3 in all its graphical glory, you will need a very modern cpu/video card set-up
Go to Top of Page

dborca
Average

Romania

425 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2004 :  09:03:02  Show Profile  Visit dborca's Homepage  Send dborca a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
i've uploaded a small update for mesafx_d3 at my situ. it fixes the crash where all hell breaks loose in "Mars City Underground".

mesafx_d3 is not a suported product; therefore do not send me bug reports about it, unless it's a showstopper (crash bug). all other reports will go to /dev/null. i will try to fix inner mesa bugs by myself, but that's about it.

i myself have reached "Communications Transfer" level, so, unless i mixed up things when i rebuilt the last dll, it /should/ work.

however, i have two tips:
1) add the following line to DoomConfig.cfg
bind "~" "toggleconsole"
run d3.bat. during the game, hit "~" to lower the console and type "r_" followed by a TAB. take a moment and study the rendering options... among them, there is "r_useScissor" which you might want to set to "0"

2) the doom3 rendering pipeline is more or less known atm. although the technique needs massive fillrate, it also needs very fast TCL. as a consequence, it's pretty TCL limited on 6k (and probably 5k5). i played with 2xFSAA enabled without a significant loss in speed.

Regards,
Daniel Borca
Go to Top of Page

Amigamerlin
Average

Italy

163 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2004 :  09:59:28  Show Profile  Visit Amigamerlin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi guys,
Here some other screenshot :this time taked at 800x600x32 Bit no AA on voodoo5 5500 Med detail with shadows disabled.
In this condition the game has a good playability.

Ciao a tutti

Amigamerlin
3DFXZONE MODERATOR
Powerd By Voodoo5 6000

Edited by - Amigamerlin on 23/08/2004 10:00:02
Go to Top of Page

vykupitel
Initiate

Czech Republic

86 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2004 :  15:09:11  Show Profile  Visit vykupitel's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm curious if would be possible to remap enviromental and DOT3 bumpmaping to form of bumpmaping that Voodoo can handle?

AthlonXP 1.86GHz@2.2GHz (barton), 1024MB PC400 RAM,MSI KT6-Delta LSR,
Voodoo5 6000 rev. 3700 A1 + Voodoo4 4200 AGP(Daytona) and many more...
Go to Top of Page

mcmagostini
Initiate

Brazil

64 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2004 :  16:28:51  Show Profile  Visit mcmagostini's Homepage  Send mcmagostini an ICQ Message  Click to see mcmagostini's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Whenever i download MesaFX 6.1.9.0.zip from daniel situ it gets
corrupted when i try to open it... "unexpected end of archive"

Anyone has any clue?

Thanks
Matheus

AmigaMerlin / SFFT / MesaFX
Sempron64 3000+, 512MB DDR400 2,5-3-3-11
Voodoo5 5500 PCI (Rev 3100)
ASUS K8N4-E
Go to Top of Page

Amigamerlin
Average

Italy

163 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2004 :  17:14:16  Show Profile  Visit Amigamerlin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcmagostini

Whenever i download MesaFX 6.1.9.0.zip from daniel situ it gets
corrupted when i try to open it... "unexpected end of archive"

Anyone has any clue?

Thanks
Matheus

Download new dll from www.3dfxzone.it home page (news section).
Let me know if all went ok.

Bye

Amigamerlin
3DFXZONE MODERATOR
Powerd By Voodoo5 6000
Go to Top of Page

Voodoo5
Average

Canada
157 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2004 :  18:06:13  Show Profile  Visit Voodoo5's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@Amigamerlin,

quote:
Here some other screenshot :this time taked at 800x600x32 Bit no AA on voodoo5 5500 Med detail with shadows disabled.
In this condition the game has a good playability.

1) What were the system specs. of the machine these pictures were taken on ?
2) what would you the think the average framerate was using this setup ?

Edited by - Voodoo5 on 24/08/2004 04:57:26
Go to Top of Page

mcmagostini
Initiate

Brazil

64 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2004 :  19:48:15  Show Profile  Visit mcmagostini's Homepage  Send mcmagostini an ICQ Message  Click to see mcmagostini's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
@Amigamerlin

Thanks ;)

The new dll from 3dfxzone and the D3 especific one from daniel's situ
are both ok.
But I was referring to the MesaFX package that lies on daniel's situ too.
This one won't extract correctly cause the corruption. I tend to think
the released MesaFX 6.1.0.9 and the d3 dll are different and i'd like
to have both of them since the original interests me the most cause i
dont even have d3 or plan to play it.

Thanks again,
Matheus

AmigaMerlin / SFFT / MesaFX
Sempron64 3000+, 512MB DDR400 2,5-3-3-11
Voodoo5 5500 PCI (Rev 3100)
ASUS K8N4-E
Go to Top of Page

Voodoo5
Average

Canada
157 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2004 :  04:45:31  Show Profile  Visit Voodoo5's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Things are improving

This game has now become much more playable and stable after installing the new .dll and following Daniels "tips" , and trying 800 x 600 with medium game details.

Here's some shots showing an action moment in the game:

Image Insert:

64.06 KB

Image Insert:

116.91 KB

Image Insert:

84.4 KB

Image Insert:

71.42 KB

Once again, Great job Daniel
Go to Top of Page

Maverick
Novice

USA

14 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2004 :  00:36:33  Show Profile  Visit Maverick's Homepage  Send Maverick an AOL message  Send Maverick an ICQ Message  Click to see Maverick's MSN Messenger address  Send Maverick a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
WOW thats real cool! 3dfx can still hang. I wonder if Half-Life 2 will run on a Voodoo lol.

Go to Top of Page

FalconFly
Novice

Germany
28 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2004 :  00:50:06  Show Profile  Visit FalconFly's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Indeed, that looks darn impressive.

Kudos to Daniel for making this work out, I guess noone would have expected those good old Cards run a Game, that can hog a Radeon 9800pro down on occasion (albeit on 'slighty' higher detail that is) ;)

Looks like OpenGL is becoming (already is?) the best supported API for our Voodoos by now :)

Webmaster
http://www.falconfly.de
3dfx Archive
Go to Top of Page

Voodoo5
Average

Canada
157 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2004 :  15:11:12  Show Profile  Visit Voodoo5's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@Maverick

quote:
WOW thats real cool! 3dfx can still hang. I wonder if Half-Life 2 will run on a Voodoo lol.

I've learned an important Voodoo lesson, "never say never"

@Falconfly,

quote:
Kudos to Daniel for making this work out, I guess noone would have expected those good old Cards run a Game, that can hog a Radeon 9800pro down on occasion (albeit on 'slighty' higher detail that is) ;)

I was quite skeptical initially, I have returned to my typical overclocked speed of 191 mhz (solid as a rock). I'm about 6 hrs. into the game now and having a blast (not a single crash)

Only one way to to explain what's going on here, "Gotta be Voodoo"!

Daniel, thank's alot Your great

Edited by - Voodoo5 on 26/08/2004 03:31:21
Go to Top of Page

r21vo
Average

Latvia

294 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2004 :  16:29:08  Show Profile  Visit r21vo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
imho there are many reasons why Doom3 works pretty good on Voodoo hardware:
1) as doom3 is an old game (I mean it long time ago they started devleopment) it uses many old implementations.
2) doom3 uses cube mapping very much (heard that somewhere) and putting a null rendering on cubemapping (as v5 it doesn't support) greatly increases performance.

about halflife2 - afaik it doesn't require so powerful hardware (compared to doom3).

3dfx tricks, tests and wallpapers

3dfx.rule.lv
Go to Top of Page

Kyon_CoraeL
Novice

47 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2004 :  22:53:31  Show Profile  Visit Kyon_CoraeL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maverick

It is very possible for this to happen actually.

http://firingsquad.com/hardware/half_life_2_fx/

shows hope that Half-life2 may use directX 7 to play.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Print topic
Jump To:

Forum Rules

Legal Info

Privacy

Contact Us

3dfxzone.it

HWSetup.it

ForumZone.it

All trademarks used are properties of their respective owners - Forum Graphics and Contents 2001 - 2017 3dfxzone.it - Forum Engine Snitz Forums