3dfxzone.it ~ SFFT Drivers ~ MesaFX ~ 3D-Analyze ~ 3dfx Headlines ~ 3dfx Cards ~
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | Search with Google | FAQ | 3dfxzone.it
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Index
 3dfx Hardware & Software
 General Discussions
 MesaFX
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Print topic

Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

dborca
Average

Romania

425 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2004 :  09:04:33  Show Profile  Visit dborca's Homepage  Send dborca a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Okidok, I was searching an error last night and... I FOUND HER . Hehe. It's true boyz & galz, Babylon5 works now. Well, but there's more in the package...

A special Glide. Temporal AA is enabled if running on Napalm, and Glide sees the following environment variable:
set FX_GLIDE_TAA_TOGGLE_KEY=key
This also mean you can toggle TAA off and on at run-time. "Key" represents the win32 keycode (ie: 120 for F9, 123 for F12 etc.). TAA will not work on 1-chip 2xFSAA and 4-chip 8xFSAA. If you don't like TAA (or don't care) or you don't have a Napalm board, feel free to use any Glide3x that suits your needs.

The long-awaited Mesa Control Panel for Win9x/ME/2k/XP.
Win9x: you need WINSET.EXE in the path or in the same directory where CPAN resides. In order to "remember" the variables after reboot, you need to run "cpan /silent" (or otherwise register it at startup).
Win2k: you don't need WINSET.EXE and you don't need to run anything next time you reboot the machine. However, the envvar broadcasting exhibits a bit of latency, so be patient after hitting "Apply".

That is, folks, a lot of candies for today, from your favourite team: me & Kool & Amiga. Well, even if we're not your favourite, you'll gonna take it and LIKE IT.

Oh, btw, you can find the goodies at my situ. Hope I can broadcast on 3dfxzone & FalconFly before Geocities locks my account.

Regards,
Daniel Borca
Go to Top of Page

patience
Novice

10 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2004 :  21:05:15  Show Profile  Visit patience's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Hope I can broadcast on 3dfxzone & FalconFly before Geocities locks my account

The file is online.
Go to Top of Page

dborca
Average

Romania

425 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2004 :  10:50:21  Show Profile  Visit dborca's Homepage  Send dborca a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ragnarok72

but I do want to alert you to another game which MesaFX does not seem to be compatible with: HomeWorld2, an OpenGL-only game.

I finally took a look at it last night.
Pretty sh!tty, cos the texturing artifacts exhibit on a random basis. Unfortunately, the MesaSW renderer crashed, so I couldn't tell it's a core problem or a driver issue.

Regards,
Daniel Borca
Go to Top of Page

FalconFly
Novice

Germany
28 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2004 :  12:18:41  Show Profile  Visit FalconFly's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hm, Homeworld 2 is known to be quite Problematic on anything that does not have the NVidia Label on it :p

I got the Game as well, and eventually just had to give up trying it on a Radeon 9700pro (after trying several Drivers and Patches), since the sucker did always crash at one Point, no matter what

When it ran, it often exhibited either severe Performance issues, or (above mentioned) random Rendering Artifacts. Took quite a while of experimenting to get rid at least of those, since I could not reproduce them every single time.

Webmaster
http://www.falconfly.de
3dfx Archive

Edited by - FalconFly on 09/06/2004 12:20:55
Go to Top of Page

ps47
Skilled

Slovakia
1463 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2004 :  21:48:38  Show Profile  Visit ps47's Homepage  Send ps47 an AOL message  Send ps47 an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
6.1.0.6 fixes crashes with homeworld1 as well.man,youre a machine
I have tried TAA too,works fine with glquake,there is some flicker though.
control panel doesnt seem to work for me (win98se),hmm..

The 3Dfx Helppage and Game Guide / Voodoo3/4/5 enviromental variables
Go to Top of Page

bloodworm
Average

USA

278 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2004 :  22:01:47  Show Profile  Visit bloodworm's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Homeworld1 works now??? sweeeetttt. looks like this whole weekend is gonna be shot to hell with homeworld1 sweetness...... I need to check out NWN while I'm on the home PC as well. I will keep you posted.

Bloody Mess
Go to Top of Page

Ragnarok72
Novice

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2004 :  04:19:55  Show Profile  Visit Ragnarok72's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dborca
You're not pulling my leg, now are you? If you show me where I advertised 1.3 anywhere on my situ, I'll eat the geocities harddisks.

Alright, I'll admit that you may not be saying it in the situ, however, I was more refering to the fact that there are some places on 3Dfxzone.it that say it is a 1.3, and I quote :

quote:
This new graphics library is OpenGL 1.3 compliant and supports 3dfx Voodoo Banshee, Velocity 100/200, Voodoo3, Voodoo4, Voodoo5 boards. MesaFX works fine with Amigamerlin drivers series allowing a better execution of OpenGL 1.3 recent games, like Call of Duty. Besides, running older titles, like Quake 3 Arena, MOHAA, Serious Sam The Second Encounter, you can get both higher frame rates and better hardware performance with 32bit of color depth (this one by cards with VSA-100 chip-sets only).

Source: http://www.3dfxzone.it/dir/3dfx/common_files/index.htm
quote:

I finally took a look at it last night.
Pretty sh!tty, cos the texturing artifacts exhibit on a random basis. Unfortunately, the MesaSW renderer crashed, so I couldn't tell it's a core problem or a driver issue.

Dborca, I suggest you have a look at the "driverConfig.lua" file in notepad. It appears to be written in if-then statements containing possible workarrounds for various drivers, mostly for problems with Radeon and Geforce cards -- However, I wouldn't be surprised if those workarounds can be adapted for use with MesaFX/Mesa in general.

Maybe its grasping at straws, but it's better than having to work on it from scratch.

I've attached it in a zip file. Remember, you can use notepad on it, you don't need any fancy-pants specialized programs to read the file, thank God.

-edit-
Doh! Uploaded the wrong version of the file. The one that got uploaded contains my (admittantly bad) attempt to get it to recognize 3Dfx cards. I stopped work on it when I found that I didn't need it to launch the game....but still, the only changes were that I added that 3Dfx entry -- everything else pertaining to Radeon/Geforce workarounds are still there.

Download Attachment: HomeWorld2--driverConfig_lua.zip
2.12KB

Edited by - Ragnarok72 on 10/06/2004 04:23:06
Go to Top of Page

dborca
Average

Romania

425 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2004 :  11:11:34  Show Profile  Visit dborca's Homepage  Send dborca a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ps47

6.1.0.6 fixes crashes with homeworld1 as well.man,youre a machine
I have tried TAA too,works fine with glquake,there is some flicker though.
I hate telling this: "I told you!"
Anyway, I might reconsider the jitter offsets, based on the user feedback. I would also like to know if you were using bare TAA or TAA over existing FSAA (in which case, Kool is the master).

quote:
control panel doesnt seem to work for me (win98se),hmm..

CPAN needs winset.exe to activate HKCU\Environment keys into actual environment. Also, there might be a delay between hitting "OK" and the actual changes taking place. Last, but not least, do not run CPAN from a filemanager, or if you do, restart the filemanager.

Regards,
Daniel Borca
Go to Top of Page

dborca
Average

Romania

425 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2004 :  11:19:07  Show Profile  Visit dborca's Homepage  Send dborca a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ragnarok72

Alright, I'll admit that you may not be saying it in the situ, however, I was more refering to the fact that there are some places on 3Dfxzone.it that say it is a 1.3, and I quote :
Do not quote anything that is not my own words. Period. FYI, many OpenGL implementations advertise a certain version, even it's not fully supported. Many, but not Mesa. However, this is not the point here, as bumping the version number won't fix the HomeWorld2 bugs.

quote:
Dborca, I suggest you have a look at the "driverConfig.lua" file in notepad. It appears to be written in if-then statements containing possible workarrounds for various drivers, mostly for problems with Radeon and Geforce cards -- However, I wouldn't be surprised if those workarounds can be adapted for use with MesaFX/Mesa in general.

Maybe its grasping at straws, but it's better than having to work on it from scratch.

I've attached it in a zip file. Remember, you can use notepad on it, you don't need any fancy-pants specialized programs to read the file, thank God.
I'm using SciTE, thanks.

Anyway, you have been uploaded a similar hack around page 11 of this thread. I was using it, but without any success.

Regards,
Daniel Borca
Go to Top of Page

zandro
Novice

Norway
7 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2004 :  12:13:10  Show Profile  Visit zandro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I`ve been looking into the TAA and TAA+FSAA
I have an ATI R9800pro and An Voodoo5500 AGP
Both supports alternating AA sample patterns
but its a big difference R350 (radeon 9800)
uses MSAA (multisampleAA) and Voodoo uses
SSAA (SupersampelAA). u alreday know this,
but v5(Napalm?) implents TAA in a SSAA
fashion, witch makes it more difficult
to make it look proppely since it is applied
to the whole scene an not just the edges..
would it not requier a mutch differen aproatch?.
or is it possible to make it look propperley
since TAA is highly FPS dependant?

NB!Im hardly thinking out loud.........

Edited by - zandro on 11/06/2004 12:07:29
Go to Top of Page

Amigamerlin
Average

Italy

163 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2004 :  13:34:25  Show Profile  Visit Amigamerlin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi guys, only a question:
anyone was able manage to run ONI With MesaFx Under WinXp?
I already Know that ONI works with MesaFX and Win2k but I was unable to run it with MesaFx under XP.

Bye

Amigamerlin
3DFXZONE MODERATOR
Powerd By Voodoo5 6000

Edited by - Amigamerlin on 10/06/2004 13:35:09
Go to Top of Page

lecram25
Average

USA
327 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2004 :  20:03:36  Show Profile  Visit lecram25's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No no, MSAA IS FSAA. You mean to say MSAA and SSAA (Super Sampling Anti-Aliasing).

| AMD Athlon XP (Barton) 2800+ @ 3200+ (11x200) | Cooler Master Jet 7 | ABIT NF7-S Rev 2.0 (nForce 2) | Corsair TWINX1024-3200C2 | Sapphire ATi Radeon 9500np>9700np | Sound Blaster Live! X-Gamer 5.1 | 3dfx VoodooTV 200 PCI | Western Digital 40GB & 120GB HDD | Pioneer 106s DVD | LG 52x24x52 CDRW | Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Theater 5.1 DTT3500 Digital Speakers |
Go to Top of Page

ps47
Skilled

Slovakia
1463 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2004 :  22:47:55  Show Profile  Visit ps47's Homepage  Send ps47 an AOL message  Send ps47 an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
one small question:does the control panel settings affect all mesafx games on my pc or only the game with the control panel files in its directory?
thanx

The 3Dfx Helppage and Game Guide / Voodoo3/4/5 enviromental variables
Go to Top of Page

Ragnarok72
Novice

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2004 :  23:40:11  Show Profile  Visit Ragnarok72's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Do not quote anything that is not my own words. Period.

Alright, fair enough. It was probably my mistake, but I had assumed that since you appear to be working closely with the people at 3dfxzone.it and therefore had to approve of whatever description of MesaFX that they were writing before those pages went online, so that this type of misunderstanding wouldn't show up. I suppose that whoever wrote that page I quoted wrote that on their own without checking with you first?

quote:
FYI, many OpenGL implementations advertise a certain version, even it's not fully supported. Many, but not Mesa. However, this is not the point here, as bumping the version number won't fix the HomeWorld2 bugs.

Agreed, HW2 would NOT be fixed by simply bumping the version number. However, it still counts as an error message. Then again, the fact that MesaFX will at least run everything in HW2 except the game's 3D engine, even without the 3dfx-modified driverConfig.lua file, could mean that maybe the message is really just that -- a complaint about having to run using an older OpenGL driver version that it would prefer not to run with, but still be able to if it passed everything else.

Besides, this was only supposed to be a nitpick.

quote:
I'm using SciTE, thanks.

Ok, spill the beans: What is SciTE?!

quote:
Anyway, you have been uploaded a similar hack around page 11 of this thread. I was using it, but without any success.

I know....I'm not sure if you caught the edited part of the message, but I had ment to upload the non-modified one, and somehow got the wrong one uploaded. (I should've checked the file first, LOL.)

In the end, though, I had found that my "hack" had largely done nothing. MesaFX will launch the game without the modified file.

Anyway, when I uploaded it this time, the intent was not to actually use it with the game, but to use it as a resource to check the game's workaround methods to what would be acceptible for MesaFX to do.

And speaking of workarounds -- I'd like to direct your attention to this section of the file:

(This is from the last set of if-then statements made under the "if( GL_isVendor("nvidia") == 1 )" part)

-- smooth lines and clip plane are emulated
-- disable shadows if they will be emulated because you're using a nv1x or TNT
	if( GL_isRenderer( "geforce 256" ) == 1 or GL_isRenderer( "geforce2" ) == 1 or GL_isRenderer( "geforce4 mx" )
== 1 or GL_isRenderer( "tnt" ) == 1 ) then
		GL_setEmulated( eCanLineSmooth, 1 );
		GL_setEmulated( eCanClipPlane, 1 );
		if( GL_getOpenGLVersion() > 1.3 and GL_haveExtension("GL_ARB_shadow") == 0 ) then
			GL_setCan( eCanShadowBuffer, 0 );
			GL_disabledEmulatedFeatures();

Notice that it appears they have some built-in workarounds for the RivaTNT card, which according to the system requirements on the game's box, shouldn't be able to run the game at all, because it doesn't have hardware TnL, doesn't do more than 2-Textures-per-pass, and doesn't have Pixel/Vertex shaders -- yet these are the very same things the game cites as reasons why the V5 can't run the games engine.

This is what I was trying to do with my hack. Adapt those workaround methods to apply them to the V5, as it seems it is in the same boat as the RivaTNT is.

Furthermore, notice that it seems to be looking for GL_ARB_Shadow...perhaps that extention is the key to getting the 3D engine to run? Again, I'm just grasping at straws here.....

Edited by - Ragnarok72 on 10/06/2004 23:46:07
Go to Top of Page

unknownusermx
Initiate

Mexico
67 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2004 :  02:10:49  Show Profile  Visit unknownusermx's Homepage  Click to see unknownusermx's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Daniel...

Savage (a multiplayer game) doesn't work with any of the Mesa 6 versions, only works with Mesa 5.1 5ta. Release.

With mesa 6 all start normally, but when I'll go to start the game the game freeze. With mesa 5.1 all works good.

Link for the demo:

http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_savage_downloads.html

sAlUdOs

_}{_
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

Edited by - unknownusermx on 11/06/2004 13:32:31
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Print topic
Jump To:

Forum Rules

Legal Info

Privacy

Contact Us

3dfxzone.it

HWSetup.it

ForumZone.it

All trademarks used are properties of their respective owners - Forum Graphics and Contents 2001 - 2017 3dfxzone.it - Forum Engine Snitz Forums