Sugestions for VooDoo based projects

Started by hanksemenec, 16 August 2003, 04:41:19

Previous topic - Next topic

BFG3dfx

i hear your very busy hank so im sorry to bother you so much, a company offered to sell me 80 pieces of -5 ram for around 9 bucks a ram and he said it was so cheap because it was refurb, does that sound like an ok price and do you think -5 well matter if it didnt make much difference with 5.4, BFG
you live on your knees im gonna die on my feet.

caifornia native

BFG3dfx

And my last question for anyone who can tell me on this one, ive heard of a v5 volt mod, has anyone at this board try it and if so did it help in overclocking? ty, BFG

caifornia native

hanksemenec

Hi BFG,

Can you get the exact Part number of the RAM? -5 are 200MHz RAMs. I would be interested too, but 9$ a piece is expensive. I will try to get some -5 or -45, I have a little tinkerring in mind for my 6k.

The -54 replacement on my 6k board was not worth it, they would come up to 190s MHz range, just like the -6.

Hank

Nightbird

Hi Hank,
Can the brand name to be important ?

In-ter-ac-tive :
The way video games were always meant to be played

Welcome to 3dfxzone.it Community

BFG3dfx

np Hank, ill look it up again, the part # was same except for the -5 at the end, the company that could get them was about 1 hour from where i live but i felt i was being screewed on the deal, he said new one's were 27.99 a ram and refurb 9.00 a ram, ill go look it up again, BFG

caifornia native

BFG3dfx

http://www.allicmall.com/order.jsp?no=22585101

Ok here it is Hank, some place have it as -5 and others as -50, same thing thou right?

caifornia native

bloodworm

BFG3dfx and hank,
I have been hankering to do a ram SIZE upgrade (as well as speed) for a V5 or a V4.  I would be willing to buy some rams from you if you needed to buy a crapload to get them at a good price.  hopefully that will help in your quest as well.  Hank, did you ever finalize the ram upgrade instructions for the few resistors and jumpers needed on the V5's?  I have some pics of your mods on my hard drive, but I never did get the last little bit of info to do the mods.  do either of you know if the larger ram chips are even available to us?  this has been a couple of years ago now that I had started doing the footwork on this myself.
Bloody Mess

BFG3dfx

Yes the chips are out there by the thousands, easy enough to find but what is hard is to find someone to sell to a single person, i had to lie and say i was doing a school project just to get a guy to agree to sell to me but then he changed his price on me so i declined. if we had an inroads from a busness we could get an ok deal, i emailed 4 places and all responded so its possible, more ppl we have that want to chip in (for real) the easier it will be, most place have a minimum 300.00 order, some are higher. BFG

caifornia native

hanksemenec

The right price for the DRAM would be more like $2.50 a piece in small quantity like 100, good luck for them selling the DRAM to someone.

Hank

BFG3dfx

Yes, well thats the problem i had Hank, at first it was 80 refurb pieces for 300.00, that was on friday, i told him id get back to him but he left early so i contacted him on monday and they were all of a sudden 9.00 a chip then, alittle price jump for what reason i dont know, so i declined cause i felt he was ripping me off. I think it was because he new he had me, if your not from a company or school they wont sell to you.

DRAM would be more like $2.50 a piece
is that for new or refurb Hank?

caifornia native

bloodworm

bfg3dfx,
email me the full part number and the phone numbers of the companies that have them in stock, I still work for a big company that buys alot of chips of all types, and I can have my purchasing person check into it.  I may be able to get some sample quantities if the chip is still being manufactured (unlikely since this is old tech now).
Bloody Mess

BFG3dfx

what email, lol, i dont see one:)

caifornia native

Nightbird

Quotewhat email, lol, i dont see one
here, you don't see the email adress
Click on "email poster", write your text and send it.

In-ter-ac-tive :
The way video games were always meant to be played

Welcome to 3dfxzone.it Community

bloodworm

sorry, my email addy was hidden before, do over!!! [8D]
Bloody Mess

bloodworm

Hank,
I still have the JPG you posted LONG ago with the blue wire mods for the mem size upgrade to the V5's, but I never did get the resistor mods needed.......  I remember seeing them once, but that link has been lost to the anals of time......
Bloody Mess