Voodoo 4 4500 agp

Started by Daemonicus, 22 November 2014, 15:52:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Daemonicus

Hi all, first post here.
    I am trying to get the above mentioned card working on a windows 98 computer at the moment.  I loaded win 98 installed the card and drivers, rebooted to finalize the driver installation and everything was fine.  I shut the computer down and restarted the computer only to find win 98 telling me the drivers for the card were not installed correctly.  If I run the hardware install program and EVEN browse to the location where the drivers are located on the factory disc, win 98 will install its own drivers resulting in the card coming up as a PCI (when its an AGP CARD) VGA graphics adapter in the hardware profile.  I tried reinstalling and uninstalling the drivers and 3dfx tools and come up with the bad result every time.  Would someone please give me a hand with this .....it's killing me.[xx(]

Daemonicus

....update
 After some troubleshooting I've finally got the drivers to stick after a reboot and a cold boot.  The problem seemed to be how much ram I had installed.  Originally I had (and the computer would register it) 1.5 gigs of DDR 333 installed.  After I dropped it down to 512 Megs the drivers and everything else installed correctly and stayed.  Anyone have an idea as to why that happens?  If I install more ram after everything is ok the machine reverts back to the original problem.  
 Also now that I have everything running fine (with 512 Megs of ram [V] ). I can't rn my favorite glide compatible game (quake 2:D) in a resolution higher than 800x600 full screen either in or out of 3dfxgl mode.  If it matters any ( and I'm not sure if it does) I'm running the video to a 32 inch led monitor.  

ggab

but, why not win xp? in minumum services started it load about 100mb of ram.
i recommmed you try that OS. a version like a unattended edition, or gamer edition.

bye ! [:p]

Daemonicus

Would you mind posting a link to an xp based driver for my card?  I've had bad luck before (even looking for the drivers for xp).....also...what's unattended or gamer edition of xp?    
Thanks!

Glide

Hi Daemonicus, you're welcome.

The Windows XP drivers for your card are here: https://www.3dfxzone.it/dir/3dfx/voodoo5/drivers/voodoo45/windowsxp/

Bye bye