Voodoo 5 5500 PCI problem..

Started by TBC-Or1on, 23 April 2005, 00:09:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Nightbird

QuoteMy motherboard is a ABIT SG-72 with a SiS661FX chipset
I read the manual and i see "nothing special"

Try to start with only the gfx card in the machine, no sound card, no network card...

And try again the Banshee as SFFT said.

In-ter-ac-tive :
The way video games were always meant to be played

Welcome to 3dfxzone.it Community

TBC-Or1on

QuoteOriginally posted by Nightbird

Hum, a banshee pci works but not a 5500 pci ?
What happens exactly once your system booted and you saw the "Voodoo5 5500 - Version 1.11... 65536K.

Well, nothing happens at all. It acts as if it normally would except it doesn't go any further.

TBC-Or1on

QuoteOriginally posted by SuperFurryFurryThing

I have seen a Voodoo 5500 AGP hang showing the copyright message. but it was down to me having changed the mouse and keyboard (long story invoving a KVM switch). I would check unrelated things to see everything is ok. It might be worth re-installing the banshee to make sure that the machine still boots with the banshee. If it doesn't work with the banshee back in then you have a wierd problem that is not related to the 5500. This might sound a bit strange but this approach fixed my hanging at the BIOS problem with my 5500, it proved to be unrelated to the 5500.

SFFT
This is a good idea. I will try this shortly.

TBC-Or1on

Okay now this is confusing. Out of frustration I put both cards in. With the Banshee in the Voodoo5 would not display. So, I had the monitor hooked up to the Banshee. Everything went fine until I got to the user accounts screen in Windows. The Banshee quit displaying so, I plugged the monitor into the onboard video. Here's what's in Device Manager.

TBC-Or1on

Also, the Banshee works. I tried it before what I did above.

Nightbird

Wait, i'm confused also now.
You have 3 gfx cards in your device manager ?
That would be a good thing if you remove the "banshee".

In-ter-ac-tive :
The way video games were always meant to be played

Welcome to 3dfxzone.it Community

TBC-Or1on

No, I couldn't get it to work so I put both in lol. The Banshee has been out of my system for awhile.

TBC-Or1on

Either way, when I plugged my monitor into the Voodoo5 it wouldn't work. I do not know what to do now. I'm going to check if there's a bios update for my motherboard. I put the Voodoo5 in one of my older systems and it worked. I'm trying to reject the notion that the Voodoo5 is not going to work with this motherboard.

TBC-Or1on

I have the latest BIOS release for my motherboard. I'm kind of at my wit's end here. Completely stumped.

bloodworm

classic problem.  the onboard video needs to be disabled OR you run the monitor from the onboard, get into the video setup in windows, and make the voodoo card the PRIMARY video and the onboard the SECONDARY video.  then just "turn off" the onboard video in windows.  you will need to load one of the XP capable drivers from this here site before you will be able to set your primary and secondary things properly though.......  use the onboard video to load the drivers so you can see what's going on, eventually you will get to the point that the V5 is the only one active in windows.  keep trying, it will work.
Bloody Mess

TBC-Or1on

QuoteOriginally posted by bloodworm

classic problem.  the onboard video needs to be disabled OR you run the monitor from the onboard, get into the video setup in windows, and make the voodoo card the PRIMARY video and the onboard the SECONDARY video.  then just "turn off" the onboard video in windows.  you will need to load one of the XP capable drivers from this here site before you will be able to set your primary and secondary things properly though.......  use the onboard video to load the drivers so you can see what's going on, eventually you will get to the point that the V5 is the only one active in windows.  keep trying, it will work.
Thank you for your reply. Could you elaborate more? By the way, when I have the power hooked up to the Voodoo5 it'll hang on copyright.
The only way I've been able to get into Windows with the card actually running was when the Banshee was also in. When I disable the onboard video from device manager I still can't use the card. I've been looking for how to completely disable it.

bloodworm

It's not really hanging, it's just that windows doesn't know what to do with the V5 and won't initialize it any further untill you get some drivers installed.  WinXP has NO drivers for the V5 untill you install them and hence it won't go into dual monitor mode untill you do get the drivers installed.  also, have you gone to SP2 yet?  this will help with drivers a bit.  since you have two video cards installed, WinXP is forced into dual monitor support mode.  get into winxp with the other video source (the onboard video) and install your V5 drivers (with the card physically installed of course).  reboot (this may not be needed in XP) and things should go smoothly from then on.  if you don't have sp2 installed yet, then your V5 drivers may not get installed at all since WinXP keeps "unsigned" drivers from installing without some kind of intervention.  I just changed my driver.cab file name to driver .txt and got it to install that way.
Bloody Mess

TBC-Or1on

I tried the dual display thing. As of right now the card is working. I cannot remove the Banshee. When I do remove the Banshee the computer hangs on the Voodoo5 copyright. Either way I guess I cannot complain, it's working. I have the Banshee and onboard video disabled in Device Manager. I have the latest Amigamerlin drivers installed. Thank you all for the help.

TBC-Or1on

There is something I feel I should mention though. In the Adapter tab for the Voodoo5 5500 PCI it says Bios Information: SECONDARY DEVICE -- NO ROM ALLOWED.

bloodworm

Hmmmmm. you really need to get that primary video disabled on the motherboard somehow.  what video BIOS are you running on the V5? 1.11?  I think there is a later version for the PCI?
Bloody Mess