Putting fans on Voodoo3 3500

Started by CasimirRadon, 02 February 2011, 00:25:00

Previous topic - Next topic

CasimirRadon

I just put together a computer for playing my 90's games, and chose to put a Voodoo3 3500 AGP in as the graphics card. It's pretty well known that 3DFX cards tended to run pretty hot, and this one is no exception.

I did a bunch of searching around looking to see about possibly putting an active cooler on the card, but a lot of what I was able to find is ten years old or more, and contains broken links.

I'm wondering if anyone has added active coolers to one, and has pictures or anecdotes about it. I don't want to overclock it, just prolong it's life and keep it stable.

My current plan on action is to remove the aluminum heatsink that currently on it and replace with  something like  this. I know thermal adhesive used right will hold on there permanently, but I'm a little concerned about having a cooler hang upside down off the chip. Any input would be appreciated.

ms-dos

I think the push pins on the heat sink will line up with the holes on the voodoo3500
I not 100% sure
but I think it does

CasimirRadon

Thanks for the info. It came out pretty nice.

Did have to dremel a leg off to accomadate the tuner, then shaved some fins off to fit around the pci slot directly below. If I'd been thinking ahead I'd have gotten a riser or flex extender and not ****ted up the back edge of the sink but it's not like you can see it anyway and it probably saved me $40+.

ms-dos

QuoteOriginally posted by CasimirRadon

Thanks for the info. It came out pretty nice.

Did have to dremel a leg off to accomadate the tuner, then shaved some fins off to fit around the pci slot directly below. If I'd been thinking ahead I'd have gotten a riser or flex extender and not ****ted up the back edge of the sink but it's not like you can see it anyway and it probably saved me $40+.

looks good

now it's time to oc that card :)

TheJohnKerrys

All iam gonna do with my Voodoo3 3000 is tap the 2 holes not used on the heatsink and get a fan off ebay and some screws from homedepot..That way it stays original using the stock heatsink but has a fan mounted.