My Voodoo 5 Mod Project (warning 56k)

Started by Steph3dfx, 02 February 2006, 02:16:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Steph3dfx

I saw those adapter, but I don't want to spend much on my vintage system. I would need to use the 370 adapter to use a Tualatin processor on my Motherboard.
So I will hunt for a P III 1ghz and stick at that speed.

In the meantime I flashed my Voodoo 5  with the latest 3dfx 1.18 Bios, and got a tiny boost in performance.(+0.5% to +1% fps in Quake 3)

Voodoo5

@Steph3dfx,

A 1ghz cpu should be pretty good for most older retro games, but a 5500 scales very well with much faster processors, check out this link for some Doom3 pics I took:

http://www.3dfxzone.it/enboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1332

Also the best windows 98 driver for VSA-100 based cards (I've tried most of them) in my opinion is the amigamerlin 2.9, much better than the last official 3dfx driver ;)

Steph3dfx

@ Voodoo5

I bought a brand new PIII 1ghz CPU yesterday on Ebay. :-)
(new old stock)
If I'm lucky I should get it at the end of the week.

Even tought I know that the Voodoo 5 is scalable (a lot)
I have no intention of running actual or futur game on it, my primary PC (Athlon 64/X800XL)
is here for this. I have HL2, Quake 4, Doom3, Far Cry, UT 2004 all running at max settings and I wouldn't do otherwise.
To be able to play Doom3 on a Voodoo 5 is a tour de force on such old tech, but the result is not adequate IMO. (no offense)

Now could you explain why the amigamerlin 2.9 are much better than the last 3dfx one.
Appart from support for new game, do they give a performance boost on vintage title such as Quake3 and UT ??
(I never tried anything else than 3dfx's drivers)

Thanks,
Stephane

Steph3dfx

I got my 1ghz PIII last week.
I did some benchs and I was a bit disapointed, I was expecting a higher jump in framerate going from 800 to 1000 mhz. Anyway my last change in my vintage system will be to replace my SB 128 for a SB Live, I should get it this week.

Now Quake 3 at 1024 full visual at max 32bits : 71.3 fps
same settings at 16bits (textures and colors) : 94.1 fps

''Voodoo 5'' please can you do some Q3 benchs with one of your PC (one comparable to mine)
Maybe we should have a sticky with benchs from all members :-), because apparently Tom's Hardware do not include the Voodoo 5 anymore in his VGA's chart hehehehe.

Thanks,

Steph.

trigger

I like that idea about a sticky for benchmarks.

Maybe categorized too. eg Win9x Win2k WinXP

Cause I got some funny fill rates under 9x and wouldn't mind seeing some other benchmarks!
Voodoo5 5500 AGP
Voodoo5 5500 PCI DVI x3 (exorcised MAC cards)
Voodoo4 4500 PCI
Voodoo2 1000 PCI x4 (two boxed and factory sealed)
Voodoo1
miroHISCORE 3D
Canopus PURE3D