No SLI or higher res in WinXP install

Started by LWulffe_Offshoot, 05 February 2005, 22:05:14

Previous topic - Next topic

LWulffe_Offshoot

Hi!
I am trying to setup two Diamond Monster3dII 12-Meg Voodoo2 cards on my WinXP PC, but cannot get them to run in SLI or at a resolution above 640x480.  

I downloaded the FastVoodoo2_4.0_XP_Gold_Edition and successfully installed the cards and drivers.  The cards are recognized in Device Manager with the correct drivers installed.  I copied the Voodoo2_OC folder to the Windows\System32 folder and ran the .exe successfully.

When I went to the 3dfx display settings, I could set the resolution no higher than 800x600.  However, it would not save that setting and would always go back to 640x480 when I exited the setup screen.  SLI is not detected in System Info.

I ran the registry patches for Fifa_2001 SLI and Fifa_2002 SLI with no results.  I added a SSTV2_SWAPBOARDS (value 1) string to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\3Dfx Interactive\Voodoo2\Glide registry.

I am running WinXP SP1 on a 3.2G P4, 1G RAM, 6800GT graphics card, and an Audigy 2 ZS sound card.

Any help in getting my V2's to run in SLI at 1024x768 would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

LWulffe_Offshoot

enthomologist

First, don't bother yourself with FV's control panel settings and meanings, it's nearly obsolete. Hence it doesn't show SLI as detected in XP as an example nor you can change resolution/refresh sets. Try the registry. Also, are you sure of your SLI cable/connection? Else, give a try Geri's Legendgrafix drivers, they contain the latest Koolsmoky's Glide set w/ Radeon/mismatched fix to clarify your issue:http://www.vfdownloads.info/3dfx/lgfx_voodoomage2_xp_2_0_0.rar
"The board authorized you? Hm. The board doesn't know the first thing about science. All they want is something to make them more money, a product. Don't worry...they'll get their product..." - dr Malcolm Betruger

ps47

legendgrafix doesnt work with SLI,do not install it if you want to use SLI.if you have installed fastvoodoo succesfully than SLI is probably working just fine,just try some glide games (unreal tournament,deus ex) in 1024*768 and it should work.the control panel doesnt work correctly under xp,you will need the voodoo2 tweaker if you want to modify refresh and stuff like that,I have created (more like just updated,lol) a small FAQ about v2 SLI,you will find there all the tips and links you need..here

LWulffe_Offshoot

Thanks, Enthomologist & PS47

The V2 cards work fine in SLI on my Win98 machine, so the connector cable is not an issue.  Both cards are detected & operating properly in PCI slots 4 & 5 on my XP box.  They just won't connect in SLI or support higher resolutions.

Here's a possible clue: RedBaron 3D is the only Glide game I run in XP.  When I start the game, I get an Error message: " A Glide card was detected, but it is using old drivers.  You may need newer drivers for Red Baron 3D to function properly.  (Contact your 3D card manufacturer for updated drivers)"

Is there a later Glide.dll version I should install?

Thanks for the help!

Offshoot

Nightbird

RedBaron runs in Glide2, if i remember.
Go here
https://www.3dfxzone.it/dir/3dfx/voodoo2/winxp.htm
D/l the FastVoodoo2 3.5 for XP, extract the glide2x.dll and try it (backup also the current glide2x.dll named also Glide2 to Glide3 Translator DLL (1.00.01.0106).

In-ter-ac-tive :
The way video games were always meant to be played

Welcome to 3dfxzone.it Community

ps47

no need to play around with FastVoodoo2 3.5,you can get the file here,download,extract to your system32 folder,and redbaron should run fine (even in the 1024*768 resolution)..

Nightbird

Will be perhaps "easier" to install FastVoodoo 3.5 definitively... :D

In-ter-ac-tive :

ps47

*grins*
what is the difference between Fastvoodoo2 4.0 and 3.5 btw?

LWulffe_Offshoot

Woohoo!  Thank you, Nightbird and PS47!  That did it.  :)  
My boy thanks you as well since he gets my old PC, lol!

Thanks again!

Offshoot

Nightbird

Glad to help you :D
RedBaron is a famous game, enjoy :)

In-ter-ac-tive :

ps47

..good to see its working.hey,your geforce card is agp or pci express?

Teobald

Hi dudes! I first installed a Voodoo2 12MB with fastvoodoo2 4.0 drivers and wicked3d opengl. It worked fine in cs! But now I also installed a voodoo2 8MB with the other voodoo2 board (SLI) and the graphics in cs went crazy! Lots of bugs etc... What is the problem? Can I fix this?

/Teo

ps47

click here,download,extract to your system32 folder,and see what happens..remember,you must copy the wickedgl opengl32.dll file to your system32 folder if you want to run counter-strike 1.6 correctly..

Teobald

Ok, thanx! But cs 1.6 says now that I can't use openGL. I have installed wicked3d once again after upgrading from cs 1.5 to 1.6. I replaced the opengl32.dll in the system32 folder with the wicked3d version (1.0.0.0). I installed csv16v7full.exe, maybe the wrong one? Oh, man, one problem ended up with two... :P What to do?

ps47

..make sure you disable file protection.if you have file protection turned on,the wickedgl opengl32.dll will be replaced with the default microsoft one.make sure to install fastvoodoo2 and the correct glide2x (links above)..