3DFX Voodoo5 5500 works on PCI-Express !!

Started by jix-reggio, 29 January 2011, 19:29:44

Previous topic - Next topic

mate175

jix-reggio

Lease open a new thread.
This is the place for Voodoo5 5500 Pci-express ...
It will break the 4000 wall soon :)

m14radu

Oho ! 4000 wall ? That's impressive !
God work !

If a v5 5500 can achieve 4700 points...then a v5 6000 should get the double of performance...so that the 10.000 wall should be possible ! :)
Follow your dreams !

Web Staff

@ mate175
Hi,
You have posted in the wrong topic.
So, i suggest that you  start your own new topic
here

Welcome to 3dfxzone.it Community

mate175

[xx(]sry, I'll do a new topic soon. thx.

jix-reggio

Voodoo5 5500 Pci bridged with Pci-to-Pci-express PEX 8112 adapter
Fast review in one minute !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy73pe8T3BU

m14radu

how did u overclock the voodoo5 under win7 ?
i tried vcontrol but it's not working...

i get 2700 point on normal PCI slot with a Phenom 9800.
Follow your dreams !

Obi-Wan Kenobi

hmm interesting however you are still limited to the 33Mhz PCI Bus, as most 5500 PCI users know these cards also support 66Mhz Bus 32Bit in any PCI-X or PCI64Bit slots :)

I wonder if there are PCI-X to PCI-E convertors, then you could even get amuch higher score, due to the faster bus which will be 66Mhz instead of 33Mhz..
Powered By The Force, x-3dfx & The Jedi Academy

jix-reggio

@mradu :  I did'nt overclock on win7, just push the Pci-E to 120 mhz. As I said Powerstrip works on Win7 and allows slight overclock, but it is shareware not freeware and  I am not sure it can overclock the 2 vsa-100 of a V5 5500.
As I am not experienced as some 3dfx power users here, I would ask the same question than you : "Did any power-user here find a way to overclock the 2 vsa-100 of a V5 5500 PCI on win7 ?"
@Obiwan : I pushed succesfully the Pci-Express frequency to 122 mhz on my mobo (both on XP and Win7), resulting in a 40 mhz V5 5500  Pci frequency, but I stopped there because I was not sure my mobo would like more than a 22% boost on Pci-express !  
I like 'living 3dfx cards', and sometimes I must admit I overclocked these oldies to a reasonable limit, but I am not the kind of guy who will destroy his mobo and his Voodoo5 to get 100 points more running a benchmark !
In addition, I read that only the V5 5500 PCI 'MAC version' would run @66mhz. So my question would be "Did any power-user here had pushed a V5 5500 PCI 'PC Version' to 66mhz ? "
I will break safely the 4000 points wall with great cache, ram and Pci-Express controllers directly included in the CPU like a Sandy bridge machine.

Edit : superbs V5 6000 pictures from Trevormacro on the hardware french topic !

Obi-Wan Kenobi

QuoteOriginally posted by jix-reggio

@mradu :  I did'nt overclock on win7, just push the Pci-E to 120 mhz. As I said Powerstrip works on Win7 and allows slight overclock, but it is shareware not freeware and  I am not sure it can overclock the 2 vsa-100 of a V5 5500.
As I am not experienced as some 3dfx power users here, I would ask the same question than you : "Did any power-user here find a way to overclock the 2 vsa-100 of a V5 5500 PCI on win7 ?"
@Obiwan : I pushed succesfully the Pci-Express frequency to 122 mhz on my mobo (both on XP and Win7), resulting in a 40 mhz V5 5500  Pci frequency, but I stopped there because I was not sure my mobo would like more than a 22% boost on Pci-express !  
I like 'living 3dfx cards', and sometimes I must admit I overclocked these oldies to a reasonable limit, but I am not the kind of guy who will destroy his mobo and his Voodoo5 to get 100 points more running a benchmark !
In addition, I read that only the V5 5500 PCI 'MAC version' would run @66mhz. So my question would be "Did any power-user here had pushed a V5 5500 PCI 'PC Version' to 66mhz ? "
I will break safely the 4000 points wall with great cache, ram and Pci-Express controllers directly included in the CPU like a Sandy bridge machine.

Edit : superbs V5 6000 pictures from Trevormacro on the hardware french topic !

Any 3dfx PCI 2.1+ card can run @ 33Mhz & 66Mhz bus ;) this includes all Voodoo3 4 and 5 PCI based cards, not sure about the older PCI cards though.