SFFT alpha drivers - V3/4/5 - Join to Testing

Started by Glide, 22 May 2004, 17:02:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Voodoo5

Yeah, a newer SFFT driver for us 3dfx folk [8D]

Thanks SFFT ;) :D

interterranhp

Hey.. the new SFFT driver alpha 33 worked fine with me!
AMD ATHLON 1ghz, Voodoo4 4500 Powercolor.
I installed 3dfx tools and VControl... They yorked fine!
The driver work fine with a Voodoo5 5500 PCI too!
Greetings from BRASIL!
3dfx Voodoo5 5500 PCI
AMD AthlonXP 2600+
Asus A7V600X
512mb DDR400 Kingston
120Gb Seagate SATA
120Gb Seagate SATA

mhanor

apparently this topic's replies do not get read by SFFT driver's developers
the Electric screensaver's palette problem is still there... this is somewhat disappointing

benna

gta san andreas is no more working with alpha33: it quit to desktop before the menu
my PC:
AMD Athlon64 3200+ - ASUS K8V-Deluxe - 1GB DDR400 - 3DFX Voodoo 5 5500 PCI

3DAnalyze user guide http://www.3dfxzone.it/dir/articles/template.php?id=5

SuperFurryFurryThing

I got the impression that the screensaver problem was an opengl issue, the SFFT drivers are only a D3D update, you can use whatever glide or opengl you want with them.

SFFT

mhanor

the screensaver Electric! is a 2D-only application that has a color palette issue with SFFT32 and SFFT33
the 3D screensaver, that has a problem with the SFFT32&33 drivers, is VoodooLights
with the SFFT drivers 31 or older, these 2 screensavers run without a problem (I think that 31 was the last driver that worked ok, I don't remember exactly)
I was expecting that SFFT33 will come with this issues fixed

SFFT is a update of the main video driver (which contains the DirectDraw/Direct3D parts, and requests to the video card do not just pass the video driver, even if it concerns OpenGL or Glide. Or at least that's what I know. But, even if I'm wrong, if the OpenGL/Glide dlls in SFFT are all the same since SFFT28 (alt least - tested), then there must be something with the part that's being updated.

The 2D screensaver can't do color cycling (see the screenshot at page 54 of this topic) and the 3D screensaver has a problem with initializing OpenGL (it fails) in the screensaver's preview area in the Display Control Panel. Also, there are some issues of restoring the color palette or corruption of it (I'm not sure which case is it) after exiting full screen applications (which use OpenGL, or Glide; or even VMWare Workstation, which I'm not sure what interface is using in full screen)

SuperFurryFurryThing

Try an opengl dll from an earlier sfft that worked with the latest driver core and see if that works, I am not sure whether the opengl dll that I shipped changed sometime around then that could be the cause.

SFFT

mhanor

the files in SFFT27,28,29,31,32,33 are all identical except 3dfxvsm.sys and 3dfxvs.dll (and a html file which has different names under different versions or it's missing)
I have tested this using MS's windiff utilitary

SuperFurryFurryThing

Which was the last version it worked ok in.

SFFT

Raff3DC

SFFT, is it possible to make the driver run CoD 2, F.E.A.R. and maybe Serious Sam 2 in DX7 mode?

Greetings,
Raff
The biggest Voodoo5 6000 test ever: http://3dcenter.de/artikel/voodoo5-6000/

benna

gta:san andreas works correctly with 3dAnalyzer v234
my PC:
AMD Athlon64 3200+ - ASUS K8V-Deluxe - 1GB DDR400 - 3DFX Voodoo 5 5500 PCI

3DAnalyze user guide http://www.3dfxzone.it/dir/articles/template.php?id=5

Raff3DC

I've found a new bug in Gothic:

Some character's textures are missing and fonts are corrupted – SFFT Alpha 32 worked.

Greetings,
Raff
The biggest Voodoo5 6000 test ever: http://3dcenter.de/artikel/voodoo5-6000/

agrelaphon

By the way, everything (includind 3dmark[:p]) is now (Alpha33) faster for Voodoo3 :D

Glide

Guys, many thanks for these reports.

I want to underline two things.

The first, don't worry about how much and which files were changed from the previous releases. This topic is a collector of user reports, it is about SFFT driver testing and not about its analysis or development. However, about OpenGL and old files in the current (33) SFFT release, please don't forget MesaFX and Sage(GL) libraries and that those can work with this driver.  

The second, this topic is constantly read by SFFT and other. Please reflect over this concept: the main target of these upgrade works is to improve the 3dfx hardware performance first of all with the (newer) games. Then, there are the other applications like the (nice) VoodooLights screensaver that, on the other hand, runs without problems with Voodoo2 and old reference drivers.

Bye bye

Gorik

Hi to All!
The new 33 work fine for me, I'll continue to test, I followed this procedure:

- Uncompress alpha 33
- Copied the new 2 Files (3dfxvs.dll, 3dfxvsm.sys) in the directory   "driver2k" of AMIGA R11
- Launch the setup.exe in the main directory of Amiga R11

I had notice of improve in performance in Harry Potter and Prisoner....
I don't test other D3D games for now, sorry

I follow a same procedure for sage and dxtn.dll included and I find an Improve in dosbox application (but this is OT and I'll speak in the other thread)

Bye Bye
Emiliano
MB: Gigabyte GA-7ZXE
VIA VT8363A (KT133A)
CPU: Duron 1.3 Ghz
RAM: 256 MB PC100
H/D: 10 GB, 20GB
CD-ROM: WAITEC ALADAR1
AUDIO: CT8550
VIDEO: VOODOO 5500 AGP 64 RAM bios 1.18