SFFT alpha drivers - V3/4/5 - Join to Testing

Started by Glide, 22 May 2004, 17:02:06

Previous topic - Next topic

ps47

not all 3dfx drivers/tools have the ability to do screenshots.use hypersnap.to run NWN with mesafx just copy the opengl32.dll from the 6.2.0.2 release (ok,you did it already),plus the glide3x.dll from the latest full package (the one from the voodoo3/4/5 folder).boom mesafx is installed.run the game in a different resolution than your desktop,and thats all.that is the beauty of the mesafx driver-no installing,it wont mess your registry,you just put it in the game folder and you are ready to rock.[8D]

Voodoo5

Quotethat is the beauty of the mesafx driver-no installing,it wont mess your registry,you just put it in the game folder and you are ready to rock.

Exactly ;)

ggab

QuoteOriginally posted by ps47

not all 3dfx drivers/tools have the ability to do screenshots.use hypersnap.to run NWN with mesafx just copy the opengl32.dll from the 6.2.0.2 release (ok,you did it already),plus the glide3x.dll from the latest full package (the one from the voodoo3/4/5 folder).boom mesafx is installed.run the game in a different resolution than your desktop,and thats all.that is the beauty of the mesafx driver-no installing,it wont mess your registry,you just put it in the game folder and you are ready to rock.[8D]
well, lastest 6.3.0.1 (icd version) is a good choose too :), and *now* it is not such important the glide3x's file...
the glide3x.dll who came in Amigamerlin 3.1r1 is ok to be placed in \system32 , so mesafx loads the file from that folder (no more glide3x with opengl.dll together)

gta3 & VC has the OpenGL render since they were launched (this was found some weeks ago in a v2 subforum's topic...)
just, use in the shortcut ".....gta3.exe -opengl" (and ".....gtavc.exe -opengl") at least in a voodoo2 works ok with mesafx :)

and:
check this link (to everybody) it has a lot of info about

Windows9x/2000 Voodoo Environment Settings for Velocity 100/200, Voodoo3 2000/3000/3500, Voodoo4 4500, Voodoo5 5000/5500/6000

http://www.ntcompatible.com/printer.php?action=review&id=8&page=2

SO, the D3D screen capture option it should not work in win2k/Xp...(the same for Geometry assist and many others, that are only working for Win9x....)

bye

aperson

I tried the mesafx but it still freezes.  It even froze twice now during gameplay, which hadn't ever happened before.. once when I equipped a light robe and another when I went to attack a prisoner.

I don't think mesafx necessarily made it any worse, but it certainly hasn't done anything for me.  Other problems like the prevalence of solid black were mostly resolved before that, though I'm not sure exactly what I did to fix it.

Still, if anybody has a voodoo 5 and can give NWN a try, I would appreciate it.  I'm hoping to find out if it is the graphics card/drivers causing the freezes or not.

ps47

well,the demo works fine on my voodoo5,but I'm using wi98se..I would try a clean install of xp+SSFT+mesafx,but people usually hate reinstalling..

Nightbird

QuoteThen why does the readme for NWN say it requires DX 8.1?
Because it can run under D3D.

In-ter-ac-tive :
The way video games were always meant to be played

Welcome to 3dfxzone.it Community

Rolo01

I tried NWN 1.65 under WinXP SP1, MesaFX 6.1.0.9, Voodoo4 4500 PCI.
Cant see the movies, but the game runs fine. No crashes so far.
@ aperson
You can try to set your V5 to single chip mode, maybe that helps...

I tried C&C: Generals with SFFT Alpha 22 and got some strange results :

On my first try ( with 3D-Analyze ) I saw this :
Image Insert:

139.83 KB

Game started, but the textures were messed up.
Second try ( without 3D Analyze ) :
Image Insert:

106.73 KB

Game starts and looks good, so I loaded the training mission:
Image Insert:

86.32 KB

Game runs fine, no problems.

That was 2 day ago, since then I have not been able to start the game again. It plays the intro movie and then exits to desktop.
Anyway, its a beginning...

UPDATE:
When I am online and start C&C:Generals, the game starts fine.
When I am offline and start, the game exits to desktop after the intro.
I tried this 5 times now, and it seems to work.
I will investigate further...

Another game, brand new:
Lord of the rings: Battle for Middle Earth

The game starts, intro runs fine, menu runs fine and looks great, 3D map works ( campaign mode ) with small glitches ( see picture ), but then exits to desktop when a mission is loaded.
I didnt expect it to run that far, I guess we are on a good way here. Way to go, SFFT.
Here is the pic of the map :
Image Insert:

135.79 KB

Gorik

@Rolo01

great News :) I'm waiting for "Battle for middle earth" thanks for tried it before and posted screen, now I know what waiting from it :)

MB: Gigabyte GA-7ZXE
VIA VT8363A (KT133A)
CPU: Duron 1.3 Ghz
RAM: 256 MB PC100
H/D: 10 GB, 20GB
CD-ROM: WAITEC ALADAR1
AUDIO: CT8550
VIDEO: VOODOO 5500 AGP 64 RAM bios 1.18

osckhar

@SFFT,
I have had problems with Alpha 22 and 3DMark2000. It can not start to 32Bits, to 16Bits I get BLACK screen and I must restart the PC.

Regards,
Oscar

Rolo01

I can confirm that, 3DMark2000 v.1.1 doesnt even start in 32 bit.

Some news on C&C:Generals:
Some campaigns are well playable, as long as the game is set to min. details. Those are Training, China and Skirmish.
After loading GLA or USA the game exits to desktop with a serious error.
All this is in DX8 mode, in DX7 it does not even start.

Gorik

Sure I'm not an expert but it's look like the major trouble in Sid Meier's Pirates! is something about memory... (maybe textures memory) follow me:

- As default the game crash to desktop often and go with some glitches on ships, and mouse flickering

- In window mode the game exit to the desktop with an memory error  (memory must be read (help!! in italian was "La memoria doveva essere read)), without mouse flickering

- In window mode with sim. texture option the game run without glitches on ships but metal body and in tavern without textures, without flickering

- and from this address I know the under linux (wine) the game crash for some memory issue. http://www.winehq.com/?issue=258#Pirates!%20Screenshot
and he said in detail:
"The problems I've come across so far are: Memory issues: Unknown cause as yet.

When visiting the Governor only a section of the screen fades in and out, this is caused by a viewport larger than the window not being handled correctly.

Sometimes textures on models like the docks don't render properly.

Sometimes the textures are the wrong way around or wrapped incorrectly, this may be the same problem as above. "

I hope this can help someone :) (maybe help to resolve others textures troubles ) :)

thanks the team for the support to us!!

Byex
Emi
MB: Gigabyte GA-7ZXE
VIA VT8363A (KT133A)
CPU: Duron 1.3 Ghz
RAM: 256 MB PC100
H/D: 10 GB, 20GB
CD-ROM: WAITEC ALADAR1
AUDIO: CT8550
VIDEO: VOODOO 5500 AGP 64 RAM bios 1.18

SuperFurryFurryThing

re Pirates Have you tried running set3tile.exe. That should make available extra  texture memory. It could improve the situation.

SFFT

ggab

Final Fantasy VII Demo

ftp://ftp.frag.cl/pub/Games/Titles/FinalFantasy7/ff7demo.zip

when it's in D3D, it has bugs with the 2D windows and/or HUD... (i've tried it with both AM3.0 and alpha22)

Image Insert:

57.42 KB

PS: The same issue is with FF8 too...

unknownusermx

Well.. I've some problems in FIFA 2k5 using the Alpha22... some graphics and text are missing[B)]...look it:

Any comment?...

OS= WinXP
RAM= 512Mb
CPU= Athlon XP 2500+
GFX= Voodoo 5 5500 PCI

SaLuDoS :D
‡«»«»¥»»±_§€®Ç}{_±««¥«»«»‡
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

algeeba

SFFT,

I did a little more testing on Vietcong, Fist Alpha to be exact, and there is good news and bad news. I did the main testing on Win98 using Evo's latest drivers but I did verify also on SFFT alpha 22. Tried this with the graphics card both at 166MHZ and 183MHZ.  

On the first level of Fist Alpha there are a lot of flames due to a downed jet and this is one instance of where the game is freezing.

* Desktop set to 800x600x24bit, video card set to fastest, game set at 1024x768x16bit, the game froze with auto mip-map both enabled/disabled.
* Desktop set to 1024x768x24bit and game set at 1024x768x16bit the game froze.
* Desktop set to 800x600x24bit, video card set to single chip, game set at 1024x768x16bit, the game froze with auto mip-map both enabled/disabled.
* Desktop set to 800x600x24bit, video card set to single chip, game set at 800x600x16bit, the game froze with auto mip-map enabled.
***(Good news)Desktop set to 800x600x24bit, video card set to single chip, game set at 800x600x16bit, the game did not freeze with auto mip-map disabled.

(Bad news) The level after the POW level, original Vietcong, has been causing freezing as well. There are no flames in this part but it did freeze with single chip and auto mip-map disabled. I don't know if it's the textures slowing down the card or what but it is getting frustrating.

In conclusion, single chip seems to help with the freezing and if it does freeze it takes longer. I also noticed that overclocking the card helped. Hope this helps.

P.S. If I remember correctly, on the Vietcong demo there is a downed helicopter and a lot of flames. Maybe this will produce the same effect as the level in Fist Alpha.

------------------------------------------
Athlon XP-M 2500+ @ 2.3 GHZ
ABIT NF7-S Rev 2.0
512 MB Crucial memory
Win98 SE w/W2K dual boot
Directx 9.0b
Aureal Vortex 2 PCI sound card
Voodoo5 5500 PCI-5.5ns