SFFT alpha drivers - V3/4/5 - Join to Testing

Started by Glide, 22 May 2004, 17:02:06

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperFurryFurryThing

You could try changing the enable tripple buffer setting, and also the DDI version number to a lower one than 9, via sffttools, at least they should increase your 3dmark 2001 score. they may affect game compatability particularly disabling the tripple buffer as it make more memeory available for textures, so long as the application does nopt need tripple buffering.

Sfft

m14radu

Here are the results:

DDI set to 7, and Tripple Buffer enabled, Fastest mode

DDI set to 7, and Tripple Buffer disabled, Fastest mode

Follow your dreams !

m14radu

Alien versus Predator 2

4xAA

No AA

FAKK 4xAA

Painkliller is not working :(

Follow your dreams !

SuperFurryFurryThing

That is odd, I would have expected Triple buffer disabled and DDI < 9 to have given a higher 3dmark score, how does DDI=9 and triple buffer disabled compare. When DDI = 9, Direct3d lets the driver manage creation of textures in the managed heap rather than doing it itself, at least on OS's later than Win2k so far as I can tell. It tends to mean that surface creation fails somewhat less, that failure in High res road test (the second test) at the first bend on 3dmark2001 dissapears on my test setup.

SFFT

m14radu

I did the comparasion, and here are the result on my platform.
Look at the results on Test 1 and 2, Car chase Low and High Detail !

DDI=9 and triple buffer enable
Game 1 - Car Chase - Low Detail: 38.8 fps
Game 1 - Car Chase - High Detail: 14.8 fps

DDI=9 and triple buffer disabled
Game 1 - Car Chase - Low Detail: 42.1 fps
Game 1 - Car Chase - High Detail: 18.2 fps

DDI=7 and triple buffer disabled
Game 1 - Car Chase - Low Detail: 39.8 fps
Game 1 - Car Chase - High Detail: 17.2 fps

And here a shoot from Portal2, as you see the mouse cursor is not allways visible ( it's appear sometimes as a black square, look on the sentence"New Game" - the mouse cover partialy the letter "G" ), when the mouse is moving lines appear ( see the diagonal one on the right in picture ).
When the game must be started, the application crush.

Follow your dreams !

m14radu

when i exit the game RUNE, the exit procedure take too much time, and it return to the windows interface but.....the resolution is 640x480x16 colours.
something is not working here....if i try after this exit to start another glide game or application...it crush.

But the game RUNE is playble, no problems at all...only at exist this error occurs.

I also installed Flashpoint Operation, a native Glide game.
This game crush from the begining....i fixed the resolution to 1280x1024x16 on Glide.
Even at the game begining, the 3dfx splash screen is with orizontal lines, and then the entire dispaly become unreadable..only a reboot help.

I try to start this game several times, and the error is the same....
I upload a small video with this error:
Here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7EAYvoonVI

It reminds me from this Problem:
Here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyu7KLdwrPE

( More details here: http://www.voodoo3dfx.com/Foro_V6k/viewtopic.php?t=348 )
Follow your dreams !

jix-reggio

I just got the time for a quicktest of the sfft 1.7 drivers on my V5500 PLX (pex8112)
Pci-express @120 mhz and FX53 @2700 mhz
Tested on Win7 32 bits.
Seems to be a great release !  3D looks sharper
Framerate is really higher than sfft 1.6 on 3dm2001se and I score 5% more points.
Unreal tournament runs very fast on glide.

Edit :
Sffttools installs and runs now ok on win7 32 bits on my machine.

I tested Fsaa 2* and 4* on 3dm2001, it is ok.
I tested Fsaa 2* on unreal tournament D3D 32 bits rendering looks great but framerate is low (around 15)

To help your discussion, I tested 3DM2001 standard options (32bits 1024*768 double buffer Zbuf=24) with these sfftools settings :
DDI=9 Triple buffer enabled = env 2850 points
DDI=7 Triple buffer disabled = env 3000 points

I would test also :
DDI=9 Triple Buff disabled and
DDI=7 triple buff enabled
to be exaustive.

SuperFurryFurryThing

Operation Flashpoint works ok in 1280 x 1024 on my system. I would suggest clearing out the glide registry settings and re-installing.

Sfft

m14radu

What application you sugesst for the glide registry cleaning ?
Follow your dreams !

SuperFurryFurryThing

voodoo5k6

Sfft 1.7 Drivers work with change-agp2pci adaptor.

m14radu

I notice some hangs during movies player ( avi files...)
Follow your dreams !

SuperFurryFurryThing

You need to change the DDI version number to 8 not 7 to see a difference DDI = 9 and DDI = 7 give the same result DDI = 8 gives a different result.

Sfft

jix-reggio

OK, I tried DDI=8 and it had artefacts on 'car chase high' 32 bits test, same sort of artefacts than the amigamerlin 3.1 R11 in textures (sky and flashing light weapon of the bot...), but was less visible than in amiga.

You had done a good job on DDI=9 or DDI=7 because the rendering is very good in 'car chase high' in 32 bits.

SuperFurryFurryThing

But did it change the score. The idea is that you have a choice.

Sfft