Voodoo1 w. 8MB

Started by Jules, 27 April 2005, 08:47:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Jules

Ik found this one on the ebay partner site in the netherlands.
user claims this is a 8MB version [?]

http://static.marktplaats.nl/fotos/hardware/videokaarten/76722.jpg

he sells it for 10 Euro

ArchAngelCD

Unless there are matching chips on the back of the card that's a 4Mb Voodoo Graphics card. Each chip on the Voodoo1 and Voodoo2 cards were 512Kb. Most Voodoo Graphics cards were 4Mb with the exception of a few 6Mb Voodoo Rush cards. (I have a 6Mb Intense 3D Voodoo Graphics card) I have never heard of a 8Mb Voodoo1 and I don't think they were ever made.

Asus P4P800 i865PE | Intel 3.2 GHz P4C | 2048 Mb Kingston PC3200 Dual Channel DDR SRAM | 160 Gb Western Digital SATA HD | NEC ND-3520 16X DVD-RW | WinXP Pro SP2 | ATI Radeon X850 Pro | 6-channel AD1985 audio CODEC | 3Com 3C940 Gigabit LAN | Diamond Monster 3D II 24Mb SLI

enthomologist

First of all, a bit of history. They WERE actually 6MB Voodoo 1 boards (Canopus Pure3D/Miro HighScore), not talking of Quantum - Obsidian boards, and not putting Rushes into this. However, they were not of a regular design. The board on that picture looks like a pure classic one, but: i have a 12 MB Voodoo 2 with 1MB memory chips (12 total, one side only) - perhaps this board uses a "stronger" RAM, too...
"The board authorized you? Hm. The board doesn't know the first thing about science. All they want is something to make them more money, a product. Don't worry...they'll get their product..." - dr Malcolm Betruger

perer

This is a 4mb card without a doubt, the seller is just counting the chips, he thinks 1 chips=1mb. Unfortunately he is wrong, but it is stil a nice card thought (ik zou hem kopen).
Start War and peace will be appreciated

gdonovan

QuoteOriginally posted by enthomologist

First of all, a bit of history. They WERE actually 6MB Voodoo 1 boards

There were a limited number of 8MB boards made for PC use by Skywell if I remember correct that used the Voodoo Graphics original design PCB with ram on the front and back of the card.

Also VillageTronic made 8MB boards (MacMagic) for use in Mac computers.

The board pictured above is an ATC board with 4 MB.

gdonovan

QuoteOriginally posted by perer
it is stil a nice card thought.

If you are looking for one I have one (and other different boards) for sale or trade. I'm trimming down the number of items in my collection as it has gotten a bit unwieldy in size.

http://www.3dfx.ch/gallery/album41?page=2

Jules

Has this card any advantage vs. an Diamond voodoo1 ?

baskapteijn

Well that card is looking nice [8D]

gdonovan

QuoteOriginally posted by Jules

Has this card any advantage vs. an Diamond voodoo1 ?

Has heatsinks, might be able to run it at a higher clock speed.

For 10 Euro plus shipping it can be yours.

ArchAngelCD

QuoteOriginally posted by enthomologist

First of all, a bit of history. They WERE actually 6MB Voodoo 1 boards (Canopus Pure3D/Miro HighScore), not talking of Quantum - Obsidian boards, and not putting Rushes into this. However, they were not of a regular design. The board on that picture looks like a pure classic one, but: i have a 12 MB Voodoo 2 with 1MB memory chips (12 total, one side only) - perhaps this board uses a "stronger" RAM, too...
I would like to see a picture of your 12Mb Voodoo2 w/1Mb memory chips.
Who made this 1Mb memory chip Voodoo2 card?

Asus P4P800 i865PE | Intel 3.2 GHz P4C | 2048 Mb Kingston PC3200 Dual Channel DDR SRAM | 160 Gb Western Digital SATA HD | NEC ND-3520 16X DVD-RW | WinXP Pro SP2 | ATI Radeon X850 Pro | 6-channel AD1985 audio CODEC | 3Com 3C940 Gigabit LAN | Diamond Monster 3D II 24Mb SLI

gdonovan

I would like to see a picture of your 12Mb Voodoo2 w/1Mb memory chips.
Who made this 1Mb memory chip Voodoo2 card?

Powercolor, 3dfx/STB and Aisha, I have examples of these boards from all three makers. The 3dfx board has spots for ram on the back but are unpopulated and the Powercolor and Aisha boards have no ram locations at all on the back.

Download Attachment: v2_back.jpg
88.12 KB

ArchAngelCD

That can be the back of any card. I would like to see the front of the card with the memory chips clearly marked 1Mb.

gdonovan

What-ever.

Just 'cause you have not seen one isn't my problem. I named three companies that made them, I suggest looking instead of being rude.

ArchAngelCD

I'm sorry if you think I'm being rude because I'm not. I really want to see the front on the card. I don't see that as being rude at all. If you're willing to post a picture of the back, why not the front?

In another thread someone was asking about memory speed on Voodoo2 cards. I said I had 2 cards with 125MHz memory. I posted pictures to show the cards really exist. I would never consider someone as being rude for wanting to see the card.

gdonovan

QuoteIf you're willing to post a picture of the back, why not the front?

Because I have 1.3 gig of 3dfx images to search through just to find that image (which shows utterly no ram chips at all on the back of the card I.E. all the chips are on front which means at least some of the chips would have to be 1 mb at a minimum just to hit a minimum retail size of a 8MB Voodoo II board.