MesaFX

Started by PanoramixDruida, 07 October 2003, 14:09:05

Previous topic - Next topic

koolsmoky

QuoteYou guys are actually lucky that you get this type of feedback, seeing that Kool hardly ever posts.
You now know one of the reasons.

QuoteDoes the 5000 have multiple TMU's? like the 5500?
AFAIK, the V5 5000 has two TMU's per VSA chip.

KoolSmoky

Bluin

Off Topic:

'If people are shooting at you, you must be doing something right'

This quote currently applies directly to all sections of the open source communities on the web.

--------------------------------------------------------------

On Topic:
@Bloodworm

I started playing with the NWN Voodoo setup yesterday.

I have a Voodoo 3 3500 AGP (AMD 500MHZ cpu, (I'm poor and stubborn)) and AmigaMerlin drivers downloaded from this site.

I get the white screens with the current Mesa opengl.dll.

I know what the screens should be as I have used GLDirect's OpenGL-to-DirectX wrapper to run NWN in the past. If you guess your way through the screens using the software mouse (or swap in GLDirect opengl32.dll) you can set up a game. Using Mesa you can then run this game. The software mouse works properly and smoothly. The game runs at about 3fps+. Out-of-game option screens are white.

Something is stopping Mesa rendering the option screens (irrespective of the use of AmigaMerlin etc. drivers used. There are reports of this problem on the web dating back to last August.

Can the problem be identified?
Can the option screeen rendering requirements be identified?
Can the option screen textures be simplified or removed?

I have tried the 3DAnalyze program to see if it could run NWN, but it always crashes.

On the whole concept of the Mesa developement;

As far as I know, 3DFX's act of providing the open source community with the 3DFX video driver source was a unique act that showed this company's commitment to its customers. Those who now invest their time and effort in making sure that this oppurtunity is not squandered, and who stay true to the original intent of 3DFX's gift are worthy of respect.

The motives of people who spam is this thread are very suspect. (Is that you again Mr. Gates?)

lecram25

QuoteAs far as I know, 3DFX's act of providing the open source community with the 3DFX video driver source was a unique act that showed this company's commitment to its customers. Those who now invest their time and effort in making sure that this oppurtunity is not squandered, and who stay true to the original intent of 3DFX's gift are worthy of respect.

ummmm, if I were you, I'd rethink what I just typed...alot of people would be very angry with you for saying that...3dfx did not open-source their video driver...this was leaked by NuAngel, but a bunch of people got a hold of it long before Nu leaked it...is the video driver source code open source? NO. Is it out there to be downloaded and used? YES.
Remember, it was up to 3dfx to provide support, but they didn't and some like to think it was up to nVidia, yet the contract clearly states that 3dfx would keep support. 3dfx did not have enough capital to provide support, that's where x3dfx came in, then 3dhq, and the rest is as follows...

EDIT: someone please correct me if I'm wrong...
| AMD Athlon XP (Barton) 2800+ @ 3200+ (11x200) | Cooler Master Jet 7 | ABIT NF7-S Rev 2.0 (nForce 2) | Corsair TWINX1024-3200C2 | Sapphire ATi Radeon 9500np>9700np | Sound Blaster Live! X-Gamer 5.1 | 3dfx VoodooTV 200 PCI | Western Digital 40GB & 120GB HDD | Pioneer 106s DVD | LG 52x24x52 CDRW | Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Theater 5.1 DTT3500 Digital Speakers |

bloodworm

My out of game option screens run just fine.  it is the IN game "inventory" overlay screens and such that get the white out treatment.  the little test overlay on the bottom of the screen has it too.  the backrounds for these overlays are supposed to be transparent.  I have seen them transparent when I was running the openGL32.dll from microsoft.  I have also seen then white running OLDER versions of openGL32.dll.  also the screen when you pick your premade character, the backrounds are white as well.  In fact when you do finally pick a character, almost the whole screen goes white behind the portrait.
Bloody Mess

Rolo01

@ Bloodworm
The V5-5000 is in almost every way identical to the V5-5500, except the amount of ram.
Bios is 1.15, Desktop resolution was set to 640x480, Monitor frequency was 85 Hz.
Can you see the intro movies ?

dborca

QuoteOriginally posted by bloodworm

Now for some feedback:
the NWN "white backgrounds" thing with my V5 5500 AGP.  Is anyone else seeing the white backrounds in the Inventory popups and such?  It looks like the V2 and Banshee do not have this problem?  the background for the popups are transparent like they should be (from the posts).  Maybe it is my main 3dfx driver (3dhq beta 10)?  anybody have an idea?
MesaFX comes with 40404 prerelease Glide (which implements some things not found in original Glides). OTOH, MesaFX can run on any Glide whatsoever. Try another Glide.
I myself tested on 6k, Raziel reports ok on Banshee, Amigamerlin reports ok on Voodoo2, too. I never seen those "white squares". Gimme a screenshot. In the meantime, try to play with Mesa envvars (well, I know I should've released the controlPanel, but I was busy, engaged in some idiotic dispute around here).
Regards,
Daniel Borca

bloodworm

dborca,
I will send a screenshot tonight when I get home from work!  I will also try the older glide file.  and I can also try to tweak the mesa settings in a batch file.....  It might definately be the glide file......
Bloody Mess

bloodworm

@Rolo01
I can only see the movies if I am running the "old" set of drivers with microsoft's openGL32.dll AND the desktop resolution is set to the same as the game resolution (BOTH 800x600).  BUT then the game goes all black.  when I try to run the game with the new MESA driver and the resolutions are set the same, then I get a strange NULL type memory error and another popup about memory location blah blah blah and the game crashes to desktop without even TRYING to start the title screens.  I think this is a BINK player thing though.  I can run the game tonight with the "skip intro movies" switch and see.  I MUST set the desktop resolution a couple of notches HIGHER than the game will be running in any case to get it to run at all.  by the way, the "test" screen in the config.exe proggy follows the behavior of the game with respect to the popups and screen resolutions.
Bloody Mess

ps47

try the glide3x.dll that is included with mesafx g2 release,the glide3x.dll from the h version is altered and made things worse-at least for me..

dborca

QuoteOriginally posted by ps47

try the glide3x.dll that is included with mesafx g2 release,the glide3x.dll from the h version is altered and made things worse-at least for me..
Yes, at some point, we tried to add windowed modes. That might be the issue...
Regards,
Daniel Borca

Raziel64

Bloodworm, you have the batch file, sin't?... well, tell me...
Are the inventory things showed like in this pic in your v5?

Image Insert:

220.91 KB

If not, try enablig NUM_TMU=1 in the batch file (like a real banshee) and try again...
Evolution Drivers Series

bloodworm

I can see the portrait and some of the grey wording, but anything that is white is "snowed out" so to speak since the transparent part within the black border is all white.  i.e the words "strenth" etc. etc. and the actual character stat #'s are all gone (melted into the white background).  I will try all sugestions in about 6 hours from now when I get home from work!  everything else seems to be working great and there is a general 20% increase in FPS as well!  (from 20 FPS using the old drivers to 25 FPS with the mesa when nothing is moving on screen)
Bloody Mess

agrelaphon

bloodworm, forgive me for not reading all the posts, but why don't you try Raziel's litle exe file to run NWN. It's worked a merakle for my V3. Only one thing though. It crashes if I don't save too often

agrelaphon

bloodworm, forgive me for not reading all the posts, but why don't you try Raziel's litle exe file to run NWN. It's worked a merakle for my V3. Only one thing though. It crashes if I don't save too often

bloodworm

@agrelaphon
  I have a formula for just playing the game flawlessly in win98se with the tdhq beta10 drivers and coulorless glideXP addon and my v5 5500 agp.  The Mesa driver is doing wonders for the FPS of this game and since it is an openGL ONLY game then it is worth bug fixing for Dborca.  So just playing the game is not enough,  but making it work with the new Mesa dll is the goal now!

By the way, NWN will crash to desktop in winXP or win2000 no matter WHAT you do as long as you are running microsoft's openGL32.dll.  There is a call that the game makes that fubars the openGL32.dll drivers in W2k/winXP big time.  I have not gone and tested the Mesa 0.51H in winXP YET, but I know exactly how to get it to crash consistently and can do the testing tonight!
Bloody Mess