PIII & V6k

Started by osckhar, 29 December 2004, 15:27:13

Previous topic - Next topic

osckhar

Hola Roland, :)

Quotewhich BIOS did you use on the P3B-F ?
It has 1.03

QuoteI recommend you look for Bios 1.06, this one enables the high multi that is needed for the Tualatin-Celerons, and works flawless with the 6k.
At the moment I am utilizing a PIII 450MHz. I will try the BIOS 1.06.

Gracias,
Oscar

osckhar

Well, :D

QDI ADVANCE 10B
ChipSet VIA VT82C694X Apollo PRO133A
AGP: 1x, 2x y 4x
PIII 1GHz
v6k

The system boots well, but the PC has LOCK UP. I have tried the Latest Final Version 1.04.00. 3DMark lock to the 20 sec.[V]

ps. What is the driver more stable for the v6k & Win98SE?

Regards,
Oscar

SuperFurryFurryThing

I have a V5/6000 running in a MSI KT3 ULTRA Mobo. (Thanks Hank, Amigermerlin gave me a duff email address, so I couldn't email you). It is extremely stable, with a very powerfull PSU Antec 550W. 3dMark 2001 runs every time, and all of the games that work on a V5 work fine under Win2k. You need a driver that is stable on W2K/XP and supports the V5/6K properly. I would suggest that you try the SFFT Alpha 22, you might need to add a PnP ID for the V5/6K to the inf file, but it supports the V5/6K properly.

SFFT

osckhar

Hi SFFT,   :)
I also have MSI KT3 ULTRA REV.2 with a BARTON 3000+ and the v6k runs flawless, without problems, the PSU is a LEVICOM 400W. For try v6k stability I prefer to utilize the latest driver from 3Dfx, vers. 01.04.00 under Win98SE.  
Perhaps I am not right,  but I think that the v6k rev2 is  much more compatible than  v6k rev3700A1. Rolo01 has the rev.2 fixed by V_Man and he has not problem with boards like SA7 or Asus P3BF.  As says Hank perhaps the problem is in the  CHIP HINT REV utilized.  
I will go trying with different boards and I will see the compatibility between the v6k revA1 and boards.  
About SFFT alpha 22, I am utilizing it with the v6k and not BLUE SCREEN or REBOOTS. Excellent WORK!!! [8D]

QuoteThanks Hank, Amigermerlin gave me a duff email address, so I couldn't email you).
No problem.

Regards,
Oscar

koolsmoky

Hi guys,

Could someone with the problematic mobo+V56K try unchecking the write combining option in the Display Properties dialog -> Settings tab -> Advanced button -> Troubleshoot tab and see if it changes anything? This only applies for win2k or xp.

It would also be wise to eliminate the possibility of bad coding in the SSE optimized rendering path of the Glide3 driver. Use the stable Glide3 driver at http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=369&package_id=404&release_id=181712 and set FX_GLIDE_NO_CPU_EXTENSIONS=1.

Hank, does the rev.B Hint chip support delayed transaction FIFO? The rev.CC product brief says it has none.

edit: Checked with PLX and the Hint chip does have 4 dword delayed transaction FIFO. Wonder if the registers are set identical between win9x and win2k/xp.

-KoolSmoky

osckhar

@KoolSmoky,

QuoteCould someone with the problematic mobo+V56K try unchecking the write combining option in the Display Properties dialog -> Settings tab -> Advanced button -> Troubleshoot tab and see if it changes anything? This only applies for win2k or xp.
BAD NEWS... I have tried the v6k and QDI ADVANCE 10B combining the two options (enable and disable), but I get LOCK UP too!!! [xx(]

Regards,
Oscar

Hiero

Why do you want to run a 6k with via chipset ? I had several of those via boards (even VP6)and all were much slower than older Intel 440BX boards like P2B-F. about two years ago a friend of mine changed from via to bx which resulted in almost 1000 3D-Mark2000 points more than he had before (Voodoo5 5500).
I also recommend the Intel 840i Chipset when you want to use PIII. The Intel OR840 is the fastest PIII platform and it perfectly accepts the Voodoo5 6000. (haven't tested other 840 boards yet)
< We`ll change the face of 3D graphics... again > 3dfx

osckhar

More test:

EPOX EP-8K5A2+ Raidcontroller IDE, based in the CHIPTSET KT333.
(Windows XP + SFFT Alpha 28)
It works perfectly with the v6k and It has supports to BARTON 3000+ 333FSB  and XP mobile. 100% Recomendable!

Regards,
Oscar