Which is the best mobo for a Voodoo5 5500 AGP?

Started by joidrovo, 10 August 2004, 03:21:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Jennifer168

-------------------------------------------------

Edited

SPAMMER

m14radu

I`ve tested the V5 with the Biostar Mobo, and everything was ok.
Thanks for advice Nightbird !
:)
BTW: have somebody try a V5 on a Dual Pentium2@450MHz Mobo ? I intend to get such one [:p]!

Greetings.
Radu
Follow your dreams !

secretfj

QuoteOriginally posted by m14radu

I`ve tested the V5 with the Biostar Mobo, and everything was ok.
Thanks for advice Nightbird !
:)
BTW: have somebody try a V5 on a Dual Pentium2@450MHz Mobo ? I intend to get such one [:p]!

Greetings.
Radu

I've tried V5 on a  Dual PIII machine, quite a good experience
No way a 3DFX collector...just a 3DFX die Hard Player~~

let the VooDoo Roars!!

P4 Extreme Edition 3.4GHz
Asus P5AD2 Deluxe i925x
2GB DDR2 667 DDRRAM
Voodoo 5 5500PCI

PanoramixDruida

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

QuoteHi, sorry I don't mean to Necromance old thread but I just bought an MSI MSI K7T266 Pro2-A Mobo (for my Voodoo5 5500 of course). The questions are:

- Does it support Althon XP processor higher than 2000+? How about Barton?

Take a look at:

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_cpu_support_detail.php?UID=320&kind=1

rene_mastar

*My System*
Athlon XP-M 2800+
Epox 8k5a2+ VIA-KT333
1GB Infineon RAM
Voodoo 5 5500 AGP:D
SFFT Alpa42 + 3dfx-Tools
*My System*:)

Like said some times ago in this tread:

The VIA-KT333 is the last (VIA) Chipset to support 3,3V-only AGP-Graphic-Cards (like Voodoo3 or Voodoo5).
VIA-KT400 and above supports 1,5V AGP-Cards only![:(] (AGP8x-Specification seams to be very difficult [and different])[}:)]

By 3dfx, only Voodoo4 has AGP 4x-support (because of single chip VSA100)[^], bud did it have 1,5V-AGP support?[?]

;)This seams to be 2 different things. 1,5V is the "electrical support" of the graphic-board, AGP 4x is the connection speed of the AGP-Bus to the graphic-board.;)

NVIDIA Nforce2 or above are also 1,5V-AGP only.

!!If somebody has a newer board that runs with 3,3V-AGP Card, please post here!!

princess

i saw somewhere a picture of a dual opteron board that had an agp pro slot. there were no keys that would have prohibited the physical insertion of a 3.3v agp2x device. i'm not certain if it would support the signalling or not.

rene_mastar

Can you give me a picture or a link to this board, where you have seen it?
If you remember.:)

*My System*
Athlon XP-M 2800+
Epox 8k5a2+ VIA-KT333
1GB Infineon RAM
Voodoo 5 5500 AGP
SFFT Alpa42 + 3dfx-Tools
*My System*:D

princess

crap in a hat if i can find it. i did try looking for it a while back, but with no success.

if i ever do find it again, i'll be sure to post it here. till then, the search continues, but for all i know it could've been photoshopped out.

skurczybyczek666

I'm looking for motherboard with AGP Universal and Pentium Extreme Edition support. I need it for my Voodoo 5 5500. Does exist something like that?

goriath

QuoteOriginally posted by skurczybyczek666

I'm looking for motherboard with AGP Universal and Pentium Extreme Edition support. I need it for my Voodoo 5 5500. Does exist something like that?

I am assuming that you are referring to the Pentium4 EE sock. 478, with NorthWood design and Gallatin core or the newer Prescott...otherwise the answer is NO without any doubt.

BTW, I think that is not an easy task find a motherboard with AGP universal slot and Pentium4 EE support (even if exist one), because this CPU use a quad pumped bus of 800MHz, while, to my knoledge, the last motherboards with AGP Universal slot suitable for a 3dfx card, supported CPUs (likely 478) operating at 533MHz FSB.

Note: Remember that even a motherboard has an AGP Universal Slot, it does not mean that 3dfx support is guaranteed. Such video cards are AGP 1.0 compliant (1x/2x) so you need a motherboard that can supply 3.3V from the AGP slot. I saw many motherboards with an AGP Universal slot but without any chance to deliver such voltage. It depends from the chipset and bios, so keep this in mind first to buy a motherboard for 3dfx gaming.

Risky50

Hi,
I have a question.
My Voodoo5 PCI PC, is on it's way to my doorstep.

I have a Pentium Dual Core Computer(Brand New) vacant, waiting for me to play with it.

I also have the money, to get myself an ICore7 Extreme, with Rampage II Asus motherboard. *Chuckle.... overkill*

Before I go spending that money,this is my question.

Will Voodoo5(ancient yet legend card) perform better on ICore7?

The reason why I post this question, is because:-
If you put Voodoo5 onto 486 PC, its playable & fast.
If you put Voodoo5 onto Pentium4/AMD 3.4 Ghz, is very fast or superfast..
what_if you put Voodoo5 onto today's motherboards that have evolved even superior faster than the past...

Can Voodoo5 keep up the latest motherboard/processor/memory speed? Or voodoo5 has been capped?

The reason for this question is, I do not want to spend $$ soo much of money onto getting an ICore7 for Voodoo5, if the performance is about only 1% or unnoticeably or no performance gain, when compared with a Pentium Dual Core.

Has anyone tried Voodoo5 on Quad Core or ICore7?
Does AGP Voodoo5 is better than the PCI version?

Regards,
Risky

-----3dfx Die Hard Fan-----
- Owned V1, V Banshee, V2(SLI)X2, V3 (AGP, TV & PCI), V4 PCI, Voodoo5 (AGP&PCI&PCI MAC) = 11 Cards!

1. Current Setup:-

Pentium 3 633Mhz
512RAM (SD RAM MAXXED)
Intel 810/815 Chipset
Allegro Soundcard
Voodoo4 PCI
More Info:-
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=93707&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en#9001;=en&cc=us

2. (Waiting for budget) Setting up Pentium Dual Core with Voodoo5 PCI! =)

goriath

QuoteOriginally posted by Risky50

Hi,
I have a question.
My Voodoo5 PCI PC, is on it's way to my doorstep.

I have a Pentium Dual Core Computer(Brand New) vacant, waiting for me to play with it.

I also have the money, to get myself an ICore7 Extreme, with Rampage II Asus motherboard. *Chuckle.... overkill*

Before I go spending that money,this is my question.

Will Voodoo5(ancient yet legend card) perform better on ICore7?

The reason why I post this question, is because:-
If you put Voodoo5 onto 486 PC, its playable & fast.
If you put Voodoo5 onto Pentium4/AMD 3.4 Ghz, is very fast or superfast..
what_if you put Voodoo5 onto today's motherboards that have evolved even superior faster than the past...

Can Voodoo5 keep up the latest motherboard/processor/memory speed? Or voodoo5 has been capped?

The reason for this question is, I do not want to spend $$ soo much of money onto getting an ICore7 for Voodoo5, if the performance is about only 1% or unnoticeably or no performance gain, when compared with a Pentium Dual Core.

You got the answer by yourself. In general, the faster CPU you will get, the more performance boost you will gain, of course. But over a certain threshold, the performance increase will be even lower, 'cause the video card will be the bottle-neck in the system.

QuoteHas anyone tried Voodoo5 on Quad Core or ICore7?
Does AGP Voodoo5 is better than the PCI version?

Regards,
Risky

Someone tried V5 on better system like PentiumD or Athlon64...I do not know if there have been tests on platform like Core2Duo dual/quad core ot the newer ICore7.

Essentially there are no performance differences between AGP and PCI version. You already know, the AGP 1x (1.0) bus, which works at 66MHz, is double of a standard PCI bus working at 33MHz. But both cards are based upon the same PCI66 standard. It means both can work at 66MHz, delivering a bandwidth of 266 MB/s. You can install Voodoo5 5500 PCI in any standard PCI slot (32bit x 33MHz = 133 MB/s). But in order to enjoy the full bandwidth, you must install the card in a motherboard with a PCI-X slot (32bit x 66MHz = 266 MB/s...the same as AGP).

Risky50

"Essentially there are no performance differences between AGP and PCI version. You already know, the AGP 1x (1.0) bus, which works at 66MHz, is double of a standard PCI bus working at 33MHz. But both cards are based upon the same PCI66 standard. It means both can work at 66MHz, delivering a bandwidth of 266 MB/s. You can install Voodoo5 5500 PCI in any standard PCI slot (32bit x 33MHz = 133 MB/s). But in order to enjoy the full bandwidth, you must install the card in a motherboard with a PCI-X slot (32bit x 66MHz = 266 MB/s...the same as AGP)."

Wow, Lucky you told me this IMPORTANT information! Because, I didn't know that! Well, here is the situation:-

My younger brother gave me a Core2 Duo 3Ghz!

So I have a processor now, I am looking for a mother that have PCI-X. Any Recommendation ?
- Owned V1, V Banshee, V2(SLI)X2, V3 (AGP, TV & PCI), V4 PCI, Voodoo5 (AGP&PCI&PCI MAC) = 11 Cards!

Pentium 3 633Mhz
512RAM (SD RAM MAXXED)
Intel 810/815 Chipset
Allegro Soundcard
Voodoo4 PCI
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=93707&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en#9001;=en&cc=us

Risky50

I randomly pick up this one.. http://www.xpcgear.com/dsbfdesas.html
for example only.

Its an Asus but its a server motherboard. Is this what Im looking for?

Pentium 3 633Mhz
512RAM (SD RAM MAXXED)
Intel 810/815 Chipset
Allegro Soundcard
Voodoo4 PCI

Rolo01

How about this ones :
ASUS P5WDG2 WS PROFESSIONAL
or
ASUS P5W64 WS PROFESSIONAL

http://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/f219/asus-p5w64-p5wdg2-ws-professional-intel-i975x-417403.html
Forum is in german, but the pics speak for themselves...
I own the P5WDG2 WS PRO, latest inofficial bios even supports 45nm quadcores. I am very happy with that board.
If you consider to buy one, be sure to get the PRO version, or else you loose Core2Duo support.