SFFT alpha drivers - V3/4/5 - Join to Testing

Started by Glide, 22 May 2004, 17:02:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Glide

Hi osckhar,

does this issue with gp2pci and C2D processors occurs with both Windows XP and Windows Vista/7 OSes?

And also, when you use socket 1155 or 1366 based systems, are you sure the Voodoo5 6000 is working with correct input power from the PSU?

About the request of a new OC tool, this question is for SFFT (and also I don't like overclock the 3dfx hardware :)).

Bye bye

osckhar

Hi Glide,

Quotedoes this issue with gp2pci and C2D processors occurs with both Windows XP and Windows Vista/7 OSes?
I dont know because I never installed those OSes. Anyway, I could check it though but I dont think the problems comes from there.

QuoteAnd also, when you use socket 1155 or 1366 based systems, are you sure the Voodoo5 6000 is working with correct input power from the PSU?
The 6k works stable without troubles. I dont use Hook up for powering up the 6k. I always use voodoo volts.

QuoteAbout the request of a new OC tool, this question is for SFFT (and also I don't like overclock the 3dfx hardware :)).
Yupe, I understand but with new systems V_Control or O/C tools does not work.

Regards,
Oscar.

m14radu

yes, an overclocking tool for the new OS is needed !

SFFT- HELP ! :)
Follow your dreams !

Glide

QuoteOriginally posted by osckhar

I dont know because I never installed those OSes. Anyway, I could check it though but I dont think the problems comes from there.

So which os are you running? Windows 98SE? This thread is on SFFT drivers...I'm confused :).

QuoteOriginally posted by osckhar

The 6k works stable without troubles. I dont use Hook up for powering up the 6k. I always use voodoo volts.

The point is that I'm not sure a PCI-E slot of a 1155 or 1366 mobo at hardware level manages the adapter just like a previous platform. So the crashes could be caused by a power issue.

Bye bye

osckhar

Hi Glide,

All the test are done using WinXP with latest SFFT driver. I mean I never tried SFFT driver under Win 7 or Vista.

The point is that I'm not sure a PCI-E slot of a 1155 or 1366 mobo at hardware level manages the adapter just like a previous platform. So the crashes could be caused by a power issue.
Sorry I did unterstand you in the previous post.

Not sure if problems comes power issue. I would tell the problem comes in a bug inside SFFT core driver. Since that using same platform with Beta Kool driver all works ok.

Mobo 775 - WinXP - I only have been to able to handle correctly my 6k using SFFT drivers when I use a single PIV. In same system if I plug  a C2D then 6k lock up. I have tested different C2D , e4300, Q6600 or E8400 or other is impossible to get the system runing ok. Anyway, using Beta Kool driver the 6k is ok with C2D systems.

Mobo 1366 or 1155 - WinXP - 6k works perfect using SFFT drivers.

In all the platforms I use: 6k + agp2pci + supermicro pcix2pcie.

Regards,
Oscar.

Glide

Hi osckhar,

first of all many thanks for your detailed description.

The main focus could be to understand if the issue with the LGA-775 based mobo can be solved by a driver settings customization (via the SFFT Voodoo Tools), or if it is related to one or more core files.

Then, an other question: do you find the crashes also with the previous SFFT driver releases? I assume you're using the latest release.

Bye bye

sockbot

I am having trouble installing the 1.9 driver (or any version) on my Windows 7/32bit system running a Voodoo 3 2000 as a secondary card. When I run the setup file, I get an installation success message, but the driver is still the Generic VGA driver when I check. I have also tried to manually  update the driver using the Windows 7 wizard, but I get the message that  the current driver (Generic VGA) is the most updated driver for my system.

I haven't been able to find any resources to help install the driver on Windows 7. Can someone help point me in the right direction?

Edit: I managed to install the drivers, I just had to choose manual selection to override the auto selection. Performance is as expected, but I am missing textures in Quake 1 on certain models. Is this a known issue?

Glide

Hi sockbot, you're welcome.

About this
QuoteEdit: I managed to install the drivers, I just had to choose manual selection to override the auto selection. Performance is as expected, but I am missing textures in Quake 1 on certain models. Is this a known issue?
could you post a screenshot? :)

Thanks.

Bye bye

serraavatar

Hi there, just wondering if anyone got the Voodoo card working in Win 7 64 bit? I installed SFFT 1.9 and had to use the digital signature overrider to bypass the signature check. But for the life of me I could never get it to work. I only have 16bit 800 x 600 resolution.

By the way, the card in question is a Voodoo 5500.

osckhar

Hello 3Dfx family,

I have a question- is not possible to install SFFT Tools under Windows 2k? I cant, once installed SFFT Tools the icon will not appear as I should appear using WinXP.

Thanks,
Oscar.

m14radu

never tried Oskhar. just XP, 98, win7 64 bit.
on win10 is not working, i tried differnt setups.
is curios why on win7 x64 is working, but on win10 x64 no.

did you try too on win10 ?
Follow your dreams !

Glide

Hi all, dear friends and traveling mates. I'm very happy and proud to read you.

@m14radu

Quotenever tried Oskhar. just XP, 98, win7 64 bit.
on win10 is not working, i tried differnt setups.
is curios why on win7 x64 is working, but on win10 x64 no

My is surely an obviousness, but reason seems clear: Windows 10 is not Windows 7, and its back-compatibility is limited - as usual in presence of an OS generational leap - for both device drivers and apps.

@osckhar

QuoteI have a question- is not possible to install SFFT Tools under Windows 2k? I cant, once installed SFFT Tools the icon will not appear as I should appear using WinXP.

I think you've really reason. Windows 2000 is a great OS for the 3dfx hardware but it was out of scope for SFFT Tools development. So you should see toward the 3dfx Tools or manual registry editings to fully manage graphics driver's settings.

Bye bye

m14radu

thanks Glide :)

i was surprised to see that the generic driver from Win10 x64 is working so well with the voodoo5.
Maybe SFFT will rise again and update the drivers for the new OS, as we need the 3dfx support.

3dfx must go on :)
Follow your dreams !

SuperFurryFurryThing

Driver development ended as Microsoft changed the display driver architecture with windows Vista to a new architecture that is based around cards that use DMA, as I understand it. Also after Windows XP 64 bit, 64 bit drivers require signing to load, and this effectively killed of 3rd party driver development. Microsoft supported the old display driver model in Vista and Win7 alongside the new display driver model, but seem to have killed it off in windows 10. I suspect that the tools should work in W2K. I seem to vaguely recall getting the driver running in Win7 64 bit with driver signing disabled but I am not sure.

SFFT