RAM transplant for v5 5500

Started by Uros, 02 January 2005, 08:06:29

Previous topic - Next topic

gdonovan

QuoteOriginally posted by secretfj

seems Nv's AA ability is far behind Voodoo in terms of speed..
just read a review about a GeForce 2 MX and V4 4500...

I did a page of benchmarks just a few months ago- at 1024 x 768 with 2 x AA in Quake3 the 4500 takes a 11 fps loss to a GF2 MX.

secretfj

I haven't got a V4500 yet (one is on its way from the US to Hong Kong here)
at the meantime the benchmark done by others..
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/v44500/page10.asp
No way a 3DFX collector...just a 3DFX die Hard Player~~

let the VooDoo Roars!!

P4 Extreme Edition 3.4GHz
Asus P5AD2 Deluxe i925x
2GB DDR2 667 DDRRAM
Voodoo 5 5500PCI

agrelaphon

Gary, I think GF2 did FSAA in software, so it can't be fast.
secretfj's link shows Gf2 wasn't weak with a PII processor, as were the voodoos. With what did you do your tests?
Anyway this is becoming of-topic[:o)]...

r21vo

QuoteOriginally posted by secretfj

as i can remember, there is option for GeForce 2 MX to enable FSAA....but i haven't tried it..you know, actually the cards at that time is never powerful enough to do FSAA...
the chance of V4 4500 i think is that i supports AGP 4X so new CPUs like P4 with over 3G and Athlon 64/FX can use it...and to explore its possibilities..
also giving more/faster memory to V4 4500 is the only project for VSA-100 proven working so far

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/v44500/default.asp
AGP4x does nothing for voodoos since they doesn't use agp texturing.

checked gf2mx spec, my bad - gf2mx supports fsaa.

about maxing out voodoos.. the best shot i guess would be replacing voodoo5 6000 rams, vmodding it, putting a superb cooling, and overclocking it to hell (first you have to figure how to do oc, because afaik all current tools can't oc all gpus and oc'ing only one doesn't give any performance boost ).
Other crazy idea would be giving quantum3d aalchemy 8164 (8 x vsa100) a shot ;)

3dfx tricks, tests and wallpapers

3dfx.rule.lv

Voodoo5

@r21vo,

Quote(first you have to figure how to do oc, because afaik all current tools can't oc all gpus and oc'ing only one doesn't give any performance boost ).

You certainly can overclock all gpu's on a voodoo 5500, just use the following utility (VSA100 Overclocker v.1.00) made by Koolsmokey ;)

https://www.3dfxzone.it/dir/3dfx/voodoo5/tweak.htm

Going from the stock 166 mhz to my current 191 mhz gives me a huge 10-15 fps extra in games and benchmarks. I am very lucky in that I have an exceptionally great overclocking card (Hyundai ram), my other two 5500's will only safely (no visual artifacts) go to 185 mhz (another agp model with Hyundai ram)and 180 mhz (pci with Toshiba ram).

I personally think that although geforce 2 cards are somewhat similar in performance, I prefer the VSA 100's visual output (colour's are more vibrant & FSAA is far superior) over any geforce 2 I have seen or used.

r21vo

o, Koolsmokey has already found a way :)
"supports Voodoo4 4500, Voodoo5 5500 and Voodoo5 6000" - this is eyecandy :)

Voodoos have superb 2d quality (recently felt that when compared image quality to s3 unichrome), and old gfs are useless when it comes to FSAA ;)

3dfx tricks, tests and wallpapers

3dfx.rule.lv

secretfj

QuoteOriginally posted by r21vo

o, Koolsmokey has already found a way :)
"supports Voodoo4 4500, Voodoo5 5500 and Voodoo5 6000" - this is eyecandy :)

Voodoos have superb 2d quality (recently felt that when compared image quality to s3 unichrome), and old gfs are useless when it comes to FSAA ;)

so i am very satisfied with my V3 3000...clear and sharp output on my 15" LCD
even better that my sister's Radeon 9100VE (maybe due to the manufacturer's quality..i bought it in about $45USD a few years ago)
oh..it too off-topic..
No way a 3DFX collector...just a 3DFX die Hard Player~~

let the VooDoo Roars!!

P4 Extreme Edition 3.4GHz
Asus P5AD2 Deluxe i925x
2GB DDR2 667 DDRRAM
Voodoo 5 5500PCI

gdonovan

QuoteOriginally posted by agrelaphon

Gary, I think GF2 did FSAA in software, so it can't be fast.

Fast enough to beat a V6000 in some benchmarks, who cares how it's done?

The page in on my website under "benchmarks"