Voodoo2 and UT 2003

Started by Glide, 18 December 2002, 11:24:29

Previous topic - Next topic

ps47

as soon as I learn to code in opengl.shouldt take long,something like 3-5 years..

dmd-0

oh, excelent news...anyway, thx for replies :)

toony5

Hi.  Has anyone had positive results with UT 2003 or UT 2004 on a Voodoo2 card?  I gave up a few years ago because I could not find a workaround or fix for important things like the HUD.

However ... I recently tried Daniel Borca's OpenGL "replacement" (http://geocities.com/dborca/opengl/sage.html) on a Voodoo2 and had very good results with some maps.  Deck17 is very playable, for example.  The FPS is (obviously) higher with two Voodoo2 cards in SLI mode.

All I did was extract opengl32.dll and sage.ini from sage-0.9.2 into C:\UT2004\System.  Next, I deleted UT2004.ini to remove the previous settings.  After that, I started and exited UT 2004 to recreate a new UT2004.ini file.  Finally, I edited UT2004.ini as follows:

1.  [Engine.Engine] section
Comment:   RenderDevice=D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice
Uncomment: RenderDevice=OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice

2.  [WinDrv.WindowsClient] section
Set: FullscreenViewportX=640
Set: FullscreenViewportY=480
Set: TextureDetailInterface=Normal
(set other TextureDetail* settings to Low or VeryLow)

3.  [OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
Set: HighDetailActors=False
Set: SuperHighDetailActors=False
Add: Use16bitTextures=True
Add: Use16bit=True

I have adjusted other settings to see if they make a difference, but the above settings seem to be the most important.  I left the settings in sage.ini alone.

The mouse pointer usually does not appear when I run UT 2004, so I press Alt+Enter once to make it appear.  I unchecked "Detail Textures" in UT 2004's Settings | Display screen to gain a little speed.

The terrain in some maps such as Antalus looks dull, but hey ~ it's pretty "cool" to be able to play a game like UT 2004 on such an old card.  

Long live 3dfx!  :)