3DFX Voodoo5 5500 works on PCI-Express !!

Started by jix-reggio, 29 January 2011, 19:29:44

Previous topic - Next topic

m14radu

Follow your dreams !

jix-reggio

As the 1014x768 score seemed weak for gaming
I ran the bench at a lower resolution : 800x600.
Looks better.
Fillrate seems to be a bottleneck, but geometry looks fine
with 8,7 M - 5,4 M polygons/second.
I quicly tested overclock of 3 parameters to increase my score.
Cpu speed, V5 i/o speed and ddr2 latency.
Higher Cpu and i/o helps, but lower ddr2 latency doesn't.

Bench 800x600 2087 points.

:)

jix-reggio

Obi-Wan Kenobi

Well to be very honest this is nothing special even  has no real point on doing either.
All because everything with the help of software emulation will get every card working with shaders, no matter if it's 3dfx based S3, ATi, NVIDIA, Trident or even SiS based, principles are the same.

Although I find these experiments useless, pointless and a pure waste of time, they have nothing really to do on what a V5 can do ina modern OS because it's all running in software mode, every VGA card can do that with the help of emulation software, software you are hiding from your inaccurate videos, rather sloppy work imo [B)]

3dfx cards are made to run games that make use of the 3dfx Glide API, most 3dfx die-hards won't really care or find it useful to use a modern new gen OS for such an old card, this isn't anything new for that part either.
My reply may be bold and careless, that is because it is well from my end, but since we have seen similar useless projects, this just feels like one of those threads all over again and it gets boring, old and dull.
It's that I am very to the point on what I find about things and I will say them as I review them, people that dislike this will have to deal with it ;)

And hey, ya can't like everything, right [:P]
Powered By The Force, x-3dfx & The Jedi Academy

jix-reggio

You know, I have shared here all the data since July with the driver model on screens, but looks like some believed it was a fake and no one even seems have tried.

I was satisfied with a good 2D experience and a V5 running and surfing with the last OS. I no longer play games and during these months I had not even taken the time to test 3D.

In December, I was surprised when Glide asked me for more information, so I tested more and I send him some data. If he wrote this news he must be sure what he says.

"Software you are hiding from your inaccurate videos". I repeat : there is no hidden software, just the generic driver.

"Well to be very honest this is nothing special even ... "
This point you're right. There's nothing special in what I did, and anyone just had to 'waste' a little time to experiment.

Is it useful ?  My purpose was just to share. 5,000 have click on the 3dm2000 video, maybe some will find it useless, some others useful.

Obi-Wan Kenobi

QuoteOriginally posted by jix-reggio

You know, I have shared here all the data since July with the driver model on screens, but looks like some believed it was a fake and no one even seems have tried.

I was satisfied with a good 2D experience and a V5 running and surfing with the last OS. I no longer play games and during these months I had not even taken the time to test 3D.

In December, I was surprised when Glide asked me for more information, so I tested more and I send him some data. If he wrote this news he must be sure what he says.

"Software you are hiding from your inaccurate videos". I repeat : there is no hidden software, just the generic driver.

"Well to be very honest this is nothing special even ... "
This point you're right. There's nothing special in what I did, and anyone just had to 'waste' a little time to experiment.

Is it useful ?  My purpose was just to share. 5,000 have click on the 3dm2000 video, maybe some will find it useless, some others useful.

And still I find this test absolutely pointless, software mode or not, anything can be emulated in software mode as said, if it were rendered with 3D acceleration then it would be something new, but as said this is nothing new under the horizon.

It's just an other pointless experiment, I am a die hard x-3dfx user & ex-collector,  most of us 3dfx people used our cards for things they were made for, what you are doing is pointless and senseless, Win10 doesn't even support 3dfx Glide API, the one thing you'd use a 3dfx card for, thus this is goalless.

Win 98SE + Un-Official SP 2.3+ & Win2k Pro + SP4 are the best Operating Systems for your 3dfx cards, WinXPPro + SP3 can seem as a useful alternative, well for some, but anything later than that isn't worth it.

What is your real gain with this anyways? Why 2D? Why not try to find out to get 3D working instead?

3dfx made 3D accelerators for 3D effects in games, for 2D we had Matrox, PowerVR, NVIDIA, S3 & ATi for that part.

My Radeons & GeForce cards can do 2D as can my Matrox Cards S3 Cards and PowerVR cards can likewise.

Also I didn't see 5000 comments, just two, could be that 4998 of those people were probably not interested or surprised and didn't bother posting, but anyways, I was hoping for new research, not some redone thing many other newbies have shown.

Also 3D Mark Doesn't even have a software mode! So to get that working, you probably of used an alternative dedicated program to make that even plausible.

Sorry man, but you would have to be a lot clearer on what you really used over just leaving somethings out and making it all look spotless.

But then again my comment is what it is, as being this is a forum negative comments can happen and this is one of them.
Powered By The Force, x-3dfx & The Jedi Academy

jix-reggio

A Negative comment but full of emotion.

Obi-Wan Kenobi

QuoteOriginally posted by jix-reggio

A Negative comment but full of emotion.

Incorrect full of question more like it, that is if you read my post fully, yet I have doubts that you even did [B)]
Your posts lack the needed info that puts them to logical sense.
Hence my replies.

So I ask for the thirst time explain how exactly you got these tests to work without the need of emulation?
There is in no way a V5 can do pixel shader & EMBM tests, so far you have not succeeded to explain how.

It's that I ask you simple questions of info that is missing from your hypothesis..
Yet all you do is you come with defensive nonsense, rather than the logics that describe your so called tests wiih the needed accuracy.