AGP Adapter

Started by ciacara, 21 March 2004, 18:22:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolo01

Hi Hank,
this is really great news. So it seems we will be able to keep our Voodoos working a little longer, even in the next generation of mainboards...

cosworth6k

Great news Hank [:p]
3dfx ZoNe moderator
Powered by voodoo 6000

ciacara

QuoteOriginally posted by hanksemenec

Hi,

I have taken a look at the possibility of doing an AGP4x to AGP 1&2x addapter. The task is pretty difficult. It will be possible to make an PCI-Express addapter to AGP slot to support V5-6000 and other old 3DFX  products. The PCI-Express to PCI bridges will be available soon. Since VSA100 does only requie PCI portion of AGP bus, it is possible to develop a riser card.

Hank

Hello hanksemenec, thanks for the great news...:)...what are the difficulties with an AGP4x to AGP 1/2x adapter?[?]

I am sorry for my English ;) :D

hanksemenec

The major problem is that the AGP 4x bus is bi-directional and requires level translation. Going from 3.3V to 1.8V is not a problem, but going back to 3.3V from 1.8 is hard. 3.3V signals are required so the Hint bridge understands the voltages properly.

Hank

amp_man

1.8V? Are you referring to the "1.5" used for signaling, or is that another voltage, possibly used within the card?
When the sun goes down, the music turns up...

Windows XP Pro|Athlon XP 1800+|Voodoo 5 5500 AGP|MSI K7T266-A|768MB DDR 2700 RAM|SonicEdge 5.1 Sound Card

hanksemenec

Yes, 1.5V. Sorry about the brain fart.

Hank

Morfeus

Try to take a look here http://www.mycableshop.com/Main_Categories/Riser_Adapter_Cards.htm
Someone is able to understand if there's a agp to pci adapter?

bloodworm

Hank,
Isn't there a trace or two on the inner layers somewhere around the location of the extra slot that ciacara cut into his V5 AGP card?  I think the easier thing (for experiment) to do would be to rip the extra keying plastic out of the motherboards AGP slot?  Motherboards are cheap and replacable whereas V5's are a little more of a precious comodity (non renewable resource).

Ciacara,
there would be one more mod you would need to do to the V5 AGP board to get the motherboard to think that the card was a 1.5V card:  there is a jumper or resistor tied to pin one? i believe of the AGP card either to ground or VCC that tells the motherboatd that the card you have inserted is a 4x/1.5V card....  look for it on a V4 4500.  plain as day on one side of the board or the other.  the other problem is that the V5 gets some of it's power from a regulator on the V5 itself.....
Bloody Mess