Amigamerlin 3.1 R10 coming soon

Started by Glide, 04 May 2005, 15:42:03

Previous topic - Next topic

ps47

I dont really think the driver would work for win98se.
ok,figured out that the Dxtn.dll must be placed to the system folder along with the latest mesafx,but I'm having trouble compiling it (to be precise I have NO idea how to compile it),any chance someone could just send me a correctly compiled file? (or detailed instructions how to compile.the correct file size would be useful as well..)

mcmagostini

i got the following error message after a system crash
while testing UT2003. The desktop got screwed after that.

======================================================================

UT2003 Build UT2003_Build_[2003-04-07_17.42]

CPU: AuthenticAMD PentiumPro-class processor @ 2030 MHz with 510MB RAM
Video: AMIGAMERLIN 3.1-R11 For Voodoo 5 5500 PCI (242)

CreateTexture failed(D3DERR_DRIVERINTERNALERROR).

History: FD3DTexture::Cache <- FD3DRenderInterface::CacheTexture <- FD3DRenderInterface::HandleCombinedMaterial <- FD3DRenderInterface::SetSimpleMaterial <- FD3DRenderInterface::SetMaterial <- RenderStaticMesh <- FDynamicActor::Render <- RenderLevel <- FLevelSceneNode::Render <- FPlayerSceneNode::Render <- UGameEngine::Draw <- UWindowsViewport::Repaint <- UWindowsClient::Tick <- ClientTick <- UGameEngine::Tick <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop
======================================================================

What are the ideal settings in 3dfxtools given my rig?
Any light? UT2003 ans NFSU are still having slowdowns
as i said before =[

BIG THX.

3dfxzone crew, never give up.
AmigaMerlin / SFFT / MesaFX
Sempron64 3000+, 512MB DDR400 2,5-3-3-11
Voodoo5 5500 PCI (Rev 3100)
ASUS K8N4-E

r21vo

@ps47: to compile dxtn.dll you just need to download and setup mingw (or other supported compiler) and type "make dll" to build dxtn.dll. Anyway, i can also send compiled one to anyone, just email me.

@mcmagostini: maybe try reseting to default settings and then change them step by step?

3dfx tricks, tests and wallpapers

3dfx.rule.lv

ps47

ok,so I have the latest mesafx (3dfxogl.dll) and the dxtn.dll (28kb) in my windows/system folder,enemy territory starts and it uses mesafx,but it doesnt run faster.is this because I'm running win98se,or am I doing something wrong?

r21vo

dxtn.dll is for DXTn texture compression and if game doesn't use this feature there will be no impact.

3dfx.rule.lv

ps47

enemy territory was mentioned on the main page,along with call of duty,mohaa etc,those are opengl games and they should benefit from dxtn.dll..

benna

I tried jedi knight 2 jedi outcast with and without dxtn.dll and i had lower framerate with the dll installed

800x600 all max AA2X        
without:2.7fps     with:2fps

800x600 all min NOAA
without:59fps      with:57fps

tested using timedemo
my PC:
AMD Athlon64 3200+ - ASUS K8V-Deluxe - 1GB DDR400 - 3DFX Voodoo 5 5500 PCI

3DAnalyze user guide http://www.3dfxzone.it/dir/articles/template.php?id=5

ps47

yep,something is not right.a detailed english tutorial (how to compile,what to do with the file,how to use it and how should we know its really working as it should) would be very useful ;)

r21vo

ok, as i recieved many emails from people who want this file i decided to upload it to my site so anyone can download it easy:
http://3dfx.rule.lv/downloads/drivers/dxtn.rar

How did i compile it? I used mingw with msys which i set up some time ago for mesafx compilation, there were no special things to do, just cd to source directory and type in "make dll". How did i set up mingw and msys? Well, i used pre-built installer for both of them (which i downloaded from mingw.org i guess, but i can't find the link anymore) and did everything by the manual.

As for those licencing issues, i found out that microsoft has licensed use of s3tc (including dxtn) for d3d usage. But for all other environments license i guess is still required to be 100% sure. Current owner of that technology afaik is VIA/S3 Graphics and there is no license for mesa project for s3tc usage (that is why s3tc codec isn't merged into mesa3d cvs).

3dfx.rule.lv

r21vo

Just finished writing "how to compile dxtn.dll" manual which is available now in manuals section of my 3dfx site.
I hope this will clarify how to compile this dll :)

3dfx.rule.lv

SuperFurryFurryThing

Is Call of Duty supposed to work with mesa + dxtn.dll, it just shows me a 3dfx logo and then drops out to the desktop. Has anyone managed to get it too work and if so how.

SFFT

ps47

according to this,yes.unfortunately,no one seems to really know how to use the file correctly..

r21vo

just tested Call of Duty - United Offensive Single Player Demo, everything works ok. There's no need to copy any files in game directory just launch it and it should work.

3dfx.rule.lv

ps47

well,enemy territory works as well,but there is no sign of FPS improvement when using dxtn.dll along with mesafx..

r21vo

Call of Duty is based on quake3 engine, there is the same type config file.
For Quake3 to enable S3TC you need to add to config file following lines:
Quoteseta r_ext_compress_textures "1"
seta r_ext_compressed_textures "1"
seta r_ext_texture_compression_s3tc "1"
seta r_ext_s3tc "1"
With this q3 with mesafx was running just as fast as with wickedgl (38fps -> 46fps).
I entered these lines in COD config file, but game hang up at loading screen.

3dfx.rule.lv