FastVoodoo2 and MesaFX

Started by PanoramixDruida, 17 May 2004, 19:13:58

Previous topic - Next topic

PanoramixDruida

So, there is no Mapmen returned an error when trying to map memory in Windows 98 SE. The problem is in Windows XP -I don't know Windows 2000, because I don't have installed it-. Because of this, I cannot try D3D, can I?.

After I install the FastVoodoo2 4.0 XP GE drivers, and after rebooting the PC, when I log into Windows I got the Mapmen returned an error when trying to map memory, even before running a Glide/OpenGL game. Of course, everytime I wanna run a Glide/OpenGL game I got this error, before the game starts.

Then, I copy the files in http://www.3dfxzone.it/files/download/video/3dfx/voodoo2/fastvoodoo2/2kxp/02/fv2_fix_xp.exe file -glide2x.dll and glide3x.dll- into \windows\system32 folder, and voilĂ  ... no more Mapmen returned an error when trying to map memory error.

When I wanna try MesaFX, I gotta paste the glide3x.dll file that comes with MesaFX into \windows\system32 folder, and then again I got the Mapmen returned an error when trying to map memory

PanoramixDruida

Sorry Glide, I didn't understand your asking. Well, this night I'll give it a try, first uninstalling the GeForceFX 5200 drivers. And I'll let you know what happened. ;)

dborca

QuoteOriginally posted by PanoramixDruida

When I wanna try MesaFX, I gotta paste the glide3x.dll file that comes with MesaFX into \windows\system32 folder, and then again I got the Mapmen returned an error when trying to map memory
My bad. There's nothing special about the Voodoo2 Glide3x.DLL that comes with MesaFX. Only the Napalm Glide3x.DLL is... ehm... special. Bottom line is: you can use whatever Glide works for you. The one embedded with Mesa releases is something I found that works pretty good. Apart from that, feel free to mix files.

Regards,
Daniel Borca

PanoramixDruida

Well, here's what I've done:

1.) Installed Windows XP, nForce2 drivers, Service Pack 1a, GeForceFX drivers, etc., etc., etc.
2.) Installed FastVoodoo2 4.0 FX GE drivers.
3.) Installed http://www.3dfxzone.it/enboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=644 patch.
4.) Downloaded MesaFX 6.x and copied opengl32.dll into Quake directory.

Here are the results -the same glitches that I had in Windows 98 SE-

As you can see, not all the guns are white, and not all the monsters are white! [xx(]

I'll try more games, and I'll tell you how they worked ;)

PanoramixDruida

Quake II
Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

Ok. ;)

PanoramixDruida

Well, I finally start all over again -Windows 2000-

1.) Installed Windows 2000
2.) Installed Service Pack 4
3.) Installed DirectX 9.0b
4.) Installed nForce2 drivers
5.) Installed FastVoodoo2 4.0 XP GE drivers
6.) Installed Quake and OpenGL patch
7.) Tried to play Quake. I got this error:

8.) Installed Asus V9520/TD drivers -GeForceFX 5200-
9.) Tried again to play Quake. I got this error:

Can I do anything else?

ps47

to fix the white textures in quake,enable software rescalling (any level will do).cant help you with the rest..

PanoramixDruida

Quoteto fix the white textures in quake,enable software rescalling (any level will do).

How do I do that?

dborca

MESA_FX_MAXLOD

The envvars are explained at my situ.
Regards,
Daniel Borca

PanoramixDruida

You guys are beasts!!!. It works very well. Good work!!! ;)

dborca

The difference between a winblows user and a *nix user:
the *nix user first bangs his head onto the monitor, then reads the doc, then starts to use the system; the winblows user first starts to work, then reads the doc, then bangs his head onto the monitor.
Regards,
Daniel Borca

PanoramixDruida

QuoteThe difference between a winblows user and a *nix user:
the *nix user first bangs his head onto the monitor, then reads the doc, then starts to use the system; the winblows user first starts to work, then reads the doc, then bangs his head onto the monitor.

Unfortunatelly, I'm not a guru and I don't know -you told me- where to find the HOWTOs, etc. Fortunatelly, there're people like you [8D] guys out there, telling us what to do! ;)

dborca

QuoteOriginally posted by PanoramixDruida

QuoteThe difference between a winblows user and a *nix user:

Unfortunatelly, I'm not a guru and I don't know -you told me- where to find the HOWTOs, etc. Fortunatelly, there're people like you [8D] guys out there, telling us what to do! ;)
That was a joke that I received yesterday morning, and it seemed fit ;) Don't take it too seriously.

However, mesafxev.txt is THE book when it comes to MesaFX tuning. And I just updated it.

Anyway, I do have a 3dfxTools clone for MesaFX, written from scratch. Not finished, though... I know it was long promised, I just can't find the damn time. And a lil' bit of *nix style won't hurt anyone. :D
Regards,
Daniel Borca

PanoramixDruida

QuoteThat was a joke that I received yesterday morning, and it seemed fit  Don't take it too seriously.

Of course I didn't take it personally. In fact, I'm a Solaris System Administrator since 1999, so I absolutelly agree with you. But sometimes you don't know where to start and of course, you need someone else's help.

Well, to finish this thread, problem resolved!. ;)

Anyways, are you planning a driver release that fix this problem in the glide[n]x.dll files that you distribute with the FastVoodoo2 package?

amp_man

QuoteOriginally posted by dborca

The difference between a winblows user and a *nix user:

That's a great one, it's going in my sig :D
When the sun goes down, the music turns up...

Windows XP Pro|Athlon XP 1800+|Voodoo 5 5500 AGP|MSI K7T266-A|768MB DDR 2700 RAM|SonicEdge 5.1 Sound Card