Q3D Obsidian2 SLI2 X-24 problem, W2K

Started by Avenger, 07 January 2004, 18:25:18

Previous topic - Next topic

koolsmoky

It looks like there's nothing wrong with the Obsidian's and Radeon's memory addresses. Could you tell me the exact error message? BTW, I see you're using the 5th PCI slot. Is it a master?

KoolSmoky

Avenger

"mapmem returned an error trying to map memory", that's all. And then the Glide app exits and my desktop is screwed up. Icons in black and general display errors. I have to reboot to fix that. How could my 2D get messed up if there is no conflict ? I don't know about the PCI slot, I'm afraid that's beyond my technical knowledge. How do I find out if it is a master ?

koolsmoky

QuoteHow could my 2D get messed up if there is no conflict ?
The memory address/space looks ok. At least Windows think so.

Perhaps the V2 or the Radeon is using unlisted resources without claiming them from the system or has failed to check if they are free to use.

BTW, has your setup worked with Windows 98?
QuoteHow do I find out if it is a master ?
Have you tried the VP6 manual? AFAIK, the V2 needs to be installed in a non-shared master slot.

Shoot me an email.

KoolSmoky

Avenger

I've never tried it on Win98. My machine has one big NTFS partition, no dual-boot.

My VP6 manual says nothing about master or not, but it does list the shares. According to that, slot 5 is shared with the HPT RAID, slot 4 is shared with the USB and slot 1 is shared with the AGP as on every board I know. Guess I'll have some card shuffling to do, though I'd rather not have the Obsidian anywhere else than in the lowest slot.

Edit: It's impossible to move the card. In PCI slots 2-4 it would collide with either the floppy or the IDE connector. Slot 5 is the only possibility. I'd really like to try and change the resources for the Obsidian into the F range, but Windows won't let me...

koolsmoky

QuoteI'd really like to try and change the resources for the Obsidian into the F range, but Windows won't let me...
You would have to remap the DEC PCI-to-PCI bridge first but if the Obsidian2 is a PnP device, Win2K has already mapped it into a valid open address space. I need your help to test a few things so drop me a line <koolsmoky at 3dfxzone dot it>.

KoolSmoky

Avenger

Glide

Avenger

No positive result yet though.

Glide

Avenger

I'll believe that :)
You guys have worked wonders already. My Voodoo 5 isn't in my main machine anymore, but it is in the secondary one. And OpenGL runs nicely with the MESAFX. In GLeXcess the V5 dropped under 1 FPS in the final zoom in of the crypt scene, on a P3 930 MHz. With MESA it does that same part at 30 FPS, on a K6-3 600 MHz.

Avenger

Hm, new Catalyst drivers are out. I'm not installing them yet, because I'm going the Omega driver route with my Radeon. Maybe the new Cats will help with the V2 issue, though I doubt it.

Edit: Right, no change. The 4.1 have made my Radeon more stable, though.

Avenger

Hm, maybe my dual CPUs are a problem ? They're probably the only thing where my system differs from other P3 machines where V2 work.

koolsmoky

To: Avenger
I've made another attempt to fix the mapmem errors. If your can spare some time to test, drop me an email.

- KoolSmoky

Avenger

Grand Admiral Thrawn

http://www.hardoverclock.com - Hard : Overclock!  Professionality   ...even overclocked!