Glide

QuoteOriginally posted by Atom_Anti

I have run the UTbenchmark in Glide mod, 1024x768, and High graphics details:
2939 frames rendered in 48.67 seconds
Min: 37.69
Max: 75.24
Avg: 60.37 FPS
Are these numbers good?

Yes, this's a good result: the average value of the frame rate is equal to 60 so your system can manage all scenarios of UT with a smooth 3D rendering.

Thank you for contribution!

Bye bye

Atom_Anti

The improved cooling system is just done on my Voodoo5. Lot of work, but it cools significantly better. The overclocking ability also improved, now it is stable on 199MHz.
I have also realized the back side of the VSA100 chips heats more than the front side. I still feel them for too hot, I might have to add fans on to it before overvolting.

Here how is it look now:

goriath

Sorry for my silence...I got your mail, but was unable to reply.

QuoteOriginally posted by Atom_Anti via e-mail

Hello Goriath,

Now I have all the equipments, that is necessary to do the overvolting my Voodoo5.

I need some further guide, because I am not sure how to solder the wire into the trimmer. The trimmer has 3 pins, but probably I should use only two of them. Which is that two? See my picture, than you can understand better my question.

Regards,
Atom_Anti

Here the picture from you:

Image Insert:

64.47 KB

Yes, only two pins are needed; these are the first and the second one(or the second and the third one, is the same). In a few words, you must solder the central pin and one of two external pins.

Atom_Anti

Ok, I am successfully overvolted my second Voodoo5. The first one is dead unfortunately, because I did not have any soldering experience and I screwd it up. It is very sad, that was an very good overclockable V5.

The overvolted Voodoo5 works wonderfully, I can regulate the VSA100s voltage in any range. It can work even with as low voltage as 2,4V and I have already increased it up to 3,2V so far. Might I will increase it further on a colder day.

Here how is look an overvolted Voodoo5:
front side:

Image Insert:

277.37 KB

back side:

Image Insert:

250.36 KB

Here are the results:
3,2V-->205MHz
3,1V-->202MHz
3,0V-->200MHz
2,9V-->198MHz
2,8V-->196MHz
2,7V-->192MHz
2,6V-->189MHz
2,5V-->187MHz
2,4V-->180MHz
These are stable MHz -es, tested with 3D Marks.

Few scores with pictures:
3DMark 2000:

Image Insert:

250.7 KB

3DMark 2001SE:

Image Insert:

270.29 KB

As you can see I have also switched my Abit SA7 to Asus P4S533 motherboard. It unofficially supports DDR400 RAMs, so probably this is the fastest motherboard for 3dfx AGP systems.

Many thanks for your gide "goriath"!

m14radu

Nice work !

You should try to overclock again in a cold day.
i remember that i was able to overclock my voodoo5 @201Mhz in a cold winter, the system was put near to the open window :)

Did somenbody try to do the same voltage modification on a voodoo5 PCI ? Is the same resistor affected ?
What about the voodoo4 ?
[:p]
Follow your dreams !

mate175