Voodoo5 FSAA in DOS games?

Started by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman, 05 December 2004, 13:05:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Flash

QuoteOriginally posted by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

Is it because FSAA, or those games simply won't work with Voodoo5? How about Voodoo5 compatibility with DOS Glide games?
It's not FSAA, i can't run those games with V5 or V4 (and Voodoo3 too)

After reading some articles on the internet, I got the impression that compatibility problem for DOS Glide games was started from Voodoo2. Thus, there are many DOS Glide games that works with Voodoo Graphics but won't work with Voodoo2. On the other hand, Glide games (be it DOS or Windows) that work with Voodoo2 should always work with Voodoo5. Am I correct about this? Please confirm.
Not exactly. Shadow Warrior works fine with Voodoo2 but shows only horizontal blue stripes with Voodoo3 or V4/5
99.9999% of Windows glide2x games will work flawless with Voodoo4-5.
It looks like glide2x.ovl for Voodoo3 and up is broken (and Extreme Assault uses some internal way to access 3Dfx hardware so there's no problems).

So if you want to play DOS glide games,best solution is another machine with Voodoo2.
For newer Windows games (GLQuake,Q2,Q3,Turok and Unreal engine games of course) Voodoo5 is much better.

The reason I'm asking such question is because I'm purchasing both 2xVoodoo2 SLI (Monster 3D) and Voodoo5. I buy Voodoo2 to maintain compatibility with DOS Glide games.

For compatibility with DOS Glide games (such as Jetfighter III, Archimedean Dynasty, etc), should I:
- keep the Voodoo2?
- sell the Voodoo2 and look for Voodoo Graphics instead?
- just play the DOS Glide games using Voodoo5, because it's compatible with all Glide titles (DOS and Windows)?

Thanks

Can you stop the hurricane ?