Sugestions for VooDoo based projects

Started by hanksemenec, 16 August 2003, 04:41:19

Previous topic - Next topic

PhoZy

So as long the ram has 45pins per side will that be workable on the voodoo 5500?I propaly will start looking for them.btw,i d/l the the 3dfx source code today and found out that the v5500 support sgram?will that give me better performance and wat if i cant find 16meg chips and only 32megs chips are avalible can i use them? And will the card recongise them and take advantages of them,and so in theory that means each vsa100 will have an wopping 128meg memory avaliable to them.

Rolo01

Be carefull, each VSA-100 can only allocate max. 64 MB

NitroX infinity

@Phozy
I don't think it matters if you put too much memory on the board.
When you put too much memory on your motherboard,
the exces memory just wont be recognized.
As to the SGRAM issue:
QuoteQ2 What's the difference between EDODRAM, SDRAM and SGRAM?
A2 Generally, SDRAM and SGRAM have more high bandwidth than
EDO because of the difference in structure and access time. And
SGRAM has some special command registers and operations to
speed up graphics data accessing, and SDRAM has not such function.
So SGRAM is used by majority 3D graphics cards.
Source: http://www.qdigrp.com/qdisite/eng/support/f_agp1.htm

-
SGRAM is a video-specific extension of SDRAM that includes graphics-specific
read/write features. SGRAM also allows data to be retrieved and
modified in blocks, instead of individually. This reduces the number of reads
and writes that memory must perform and increases the performance of
the graphics controller by making the process more efficient.

-
SGRAM: Synchronous Graphics RAM a single-ported RAM type.
It speeds performance through a dual-bank feature, in which two
memory pages can be opened simultaneously; it therefore approximates
dual-porting. SGRAM is proving to be a significant player in 3-D video
technology because of a block-write feature that speeds up screen fills
and allows fast memory clearing.
Source: http://www.epanorama.net/links/memory.html

-
Synchronous Graphics RAM (SGRAM) is clock-synchronized random access memory
that is used for video memory. It is relatively low-cost video memory. It uses masked write, which enables selected data to be modified in a single operation rather as a sequence of read, update, and write operations. It also uses block write, which allows data for background or foreground image fills to be handled more efficiently. SGRAM is single-ported. Its special features are what make it a moderately fast form of video memory.
Source: http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci214202,00.html

amp_man

aiight, if you have a company with the tools to do that kind of stuff, it wouldn't be a problem. so, would the VSA-100 be able to use RAM that wasn't identical to the original stuff?

When the sun goes down, the music turns up...

Windows XP Pro|Athlon XP 1800+|Voodoo 5 5500 AGP|MSI K7T266-A|768MB DDR 2700 RAM|SonicEdge 5.1 Sound Card

bloodworm

SGram is much too different hardware wise to even be able to slap it onto the V5 5500's in any case.  And I don't mean physically (pinout and shape), I mean electrically.  The only ram that would be even mildly compatable, Is the same type of ram, but slightly larger in capacity (Ram size) and with the same exact pinout/size.  looking over my notes from last time I looked now.......
Bloody Mess

PhoZy

So can anyone list the type of ram,brand and model number that is actually that is going to be able to be use on the v5500?

Knuckles

You can use the same as the already  V5 has , this one is the brand & number on my V5 5500 PCI:

TOSHIBA F49022 or TOSHIBA Y10433 ( there's 5 of the 1st one and 3 of the other on mine)
0021KAO
JAPAN
TC5956432CTF-60

They are 8MB each (of course)

Hiero

they should be faster and have more capacity. It's not important by what company it is made.

< We`ll change the face of 3D graphics... again > 3dfx

amp_man

isn't there some issue with pin mappings? i think someone mentioned this earlier. will ram that uses different pin mapouts still work?

When the sun goes down, the music turns up...

Windows XP Pro|Athlon XP 1800+|Voodoo 5 5500 AGP|MSI K7T266-A|768MB DDR 2700 RAM|SonicEdge 5.1 Sound Card

sloomy

there are these ram types:

Samsung (relativly often )
Hyundai ( often )
Toshiba ( rare )
MT ( very rare )

cheers

NitroX infinity

Is there any difference between them (except for the manufacturer)?

sloomy

As far as i know should Hyundai  be the best overclockable ones from all of them. I think MT ist the best, because it is very rare, and nobody could test them ;)

Hiero

As I already said it doesn't matter what manufacterer it's from, as long as the memory does have the same layout.( different design -> even can't be installed on the card ) Therefor you could take Mitsubishi or Infineon....and so on. Out of ram 3dfx used Toshiba is the best memory to overclock.
Please don't ask if you could DDR2 ram cause you can't !
The memory needs to be normal SD-Ram in the same design as the normal memory already used on the Voodoo5.

PhoZy

i went to the tosiba website to find out more abt the memeory,1 things for sure is that forget abt find 16meg version of those chips as they are no longer manufacturing them.And thats is where the problems starts,as if uread the specs of the chips it is 43by44pins layout,and how the hell are we going to find ram chips with this type of layout?[:(!]

bloodworm

HYNIX brand ram

4 banks x 1Mbit x 32bit syncronous DRAM

HY57V283220T

we want the 5ns part so we can get the max speed (5ns equates to 200Mhz  ie 1/5ns = 200Mhz)

this would get us to 64Mbytes per chip (the maximum the vsa100 will address physically).

I have a pic of one of the mods that hank posted (to add the last address line from the vsa100 to the ram), but the resistor jumper config I can not find.

Hynix has a configurator in PDF format, and it lists many of the configs that could be used (all a variation of this part).

Now we just need to find the parts for sale somewhere......

Bloody Mess
Bloody Mess