sweet new bios i found

Started by nSomniac, 15 July 2004, 03:49:24

Previous topic - Next topic

nSomniac

this bios file that i found was modded by rainbow in mid 2k4
and it works better... the bios file is 1.18b03 and it has a few built in things like a 3dfx logo at startup and a setup util built into the bios... if u dont belive me check it urself... i have been usin for a month or so now.. works better than the others... and its diff than the 2 that are already posted on this site

Matt

Rainbow

this bios is based on sources of bios v1.18.
default frequency - 166 mhz.

after flashing and the first start:
1. press F2 for initiation adjustment "by default".
2. restart computer.
3. press F1 and change adjustment.

VGA bios setup works at frequency "by default" and installs the user frequency only when turning in POST computer.
i.e. when installing the too much frequency, necessary only to install adjustment "by default".
Voodoo5 5500 AGP with Special VGA BIOS Setup

amp_man

does this use the tightened RAM timings that the 1.18 had originally, or the looser ones (for overclocking) from earlier versions (or even custom)? And lecram, yes I'm aware that the 3500 ran at 183MHz, it was the only MARKETED card that ran at that speed. But I'm sure that a V5 5500 could probably handle 183MHz fine for a while. I'd test it, but it's too late, i threw my stock cooling in the trash, except for one fan mounted on my 440BX's heatsink.
When the sun goes down, the music turns up...

Windows XP Pro|Athlon XP 1800+|Voodoo 5 5500 AGP|MSI K7T266-A|768MB DDR 2700 RAM|SonicEdge 5.1 Sound Card

bloodworm

yes the ram is a problem at higher speeds (the 3500 used better ram than the 5500 in some cases).  but now that I have done some digging, It seems that most (if not all) of the overclockers for the 5500's were NOT overclocking both VSA's at the same time, hence not much gain in speed, but terrible glitch potential......  must download rainbow's newest BIOS and try some testing again anew!!!
Bloody Mess

nSomniac

well well i have been running my voodoo 5 5500 at 173~185 for about 7 months now... and I USUALLY dont have any probs... the only time it really locks up on me is when the temp outside goes up to about 90 then it's hard for me to keep the temp down on my card, cause i dont have air conditioning, but it really is a piece of art, atleast that's what i believe, and i have been using the bios that i posted for almost a month now and it seems MUCH more stable, oh and about the timings, u can set them all at startup when u go into the setup program in the bios rom.. i just dont know what most of the timres actaully do, im sure if i really tried to research it i could find out but i dont care enough to try and set them i just wanna change the freq mostly, and it is easier to do it w/ the bios file than it is to wait for my pc to boot up and then go to the v5 overclocker that koolsmokey made (not that its not great but...) it just easier to do it once and not have to worry about it everytime i turn my pc on, but if ne1 knows what the tRAS and such to plz inform me, for i would like to know im just kinda lazy:D, thanks again.
Matt

Nikos_ch

I just wanted to know if this BIOS is right
for  Voodoo5 5500 PCI.
Abit BH6 440BX, INTEL P3 450 oc 558 (4.5x124),192 MB SDRAM PC 133, Voodoo5 5500 PCI Bios 1.16

nSomniac

I dont see why it wouldnt work with a pci too, cause I have heard many times that a pci bios will work for agp,  so why not the other way around, because the agp version is just a pci card with an agp interface (if htat makes sense to you)

Matt

P.S. if u try it lemme know how it goes kk?

amp_man

Heh, those old Abit BH-6s are great, aren't they? Currently have one with a 667MHz P3.Yep, thats 133FSB, which the 440BX definately wasn't meant to handle. Only problem is, my NIC didn't like the higher PCI Bus (44MHz vs. 33MHz), so I had to find a different one. But the Voodoo 5 works fine on an 88MHz bus. Anyways, enough ranting. I honeslty don't know if that would work or not. Since the Voodoo 5 AGP is just basically a PCI card with an AGP connector, it might, but since the AGP speed is always 66MHz (or...in that range), the BIOS MIGHT be set up for that, so it wouldn't work correctly. Anyways, if you flash it and it goes bum, be sure to get a backup of the original before you do. Then put in an AGP card and set that one to be the default in the BIOS (it's in the Advanced Chipset Settings I think, don't want to disturb the rest of the house by turning it on). The u should be able to re-flash it with the original BIOS (or with the latest PCI BIOS, version 1.16, available on stanto's site, which is linked to above).

BTW, I haven't played with the bios yet cuz ive been having issue with my other box, using that one to straighten the **** out, so i don't have time to fool around, that'll come soon.
When the sun goes down, the music turns up...

Windows XP Pro|Athlon XP 1800+|Voodoo 5 5500 AGP|MSI K7T266-A|768MB DDR 2700 RAM|SonicEdge 5.1 Sound Card

Rainbow

bios for Voodoo5 AGP will not work on Voodoo5 PCI.
Voodoo5 5500 AGP with Special VGA BIOS Setup

Nikos_ch

Thanks all for the reply.
I don't flash ...
Abit BH6 440BX, INTEL P3 450 oc 558 (4.5x124),192 MB SDRAM PC 133, Voodoo5 5500 PCI Bios 1.16

nSomniac

so has anyone tested this bios yet? i just wanna know, but also i have retired my agp :) i got a mac pci and it seems to be MUCH better thanks :)
Matt