Microsoft Beta Software Code Named "Acrylic"
Thank you for taking the time to download and install this beta software
“Acrylic” is the codename for a new professional design tool that brings
together the richness of pixel-based painting and the flexibility of editable
vector graphics for a more fluid and flexible creative workflow. With Acrylic
you can create sophisticated designs and graphic elements for your on-screen,
Web, and print projects. We hope you will enjoy exploring this exciting new
application and would greatly appreciate any and all comments, bug reports, and
general feedback you can share with us.
Portions of this software are based in part on the work of the Independent JPEG
http://www.microsoft.com/expression/ for information and links to community
forums and ways to submit feedback to the "Acrylic" team at Microsoft, including
Double click on the "acrylic.msi" file to start installation of the program.
You must have Administrator rights on your Windows XP machine to install the
program. Please read the End User License Agreement carefully.
Once you have started the program, press the F1 key or choose the
Help menu's User Guide menu item to view the extensive help content.
Key Feature Areas
- Vector and Pixel Tools: Paint on pixel layers, create objects and insert images on vector layers, convert between vector and pixel layer types, create selection masks by
dragging vector objects to pixel layers, and more.
- Expressive Pixel Painting Engine: Create
realistic pixel paintings using the pixel brush engine.
Create your own multi-component brushes for expressive power; use them to
paint with gradients, textures, smudging, and paint thickness.
- Pixel Selection Tool: Automatically create
tight and accurate pixel selections on complex shaped image features with
just a few simple in/out region markings.
- Live Effects:
Apply image effects and color correction
filters on a per object or per layer basis to either vector or pixel based
- Variations Palette: Paint with variations in hue, saturation, lightness, strokes, stroke width,
- Image Stitching:
Stitch together individual photographic or
scanned images into high quality panoramic images.
- HTML Workflow: Create rollover and popup buttons, preview your
artwork in Pixel Preview mode, and export to HTML
format with auto-slicing capabilities.
- Hint Palette:
Quickly access contextual information
regarding the currently moused-over tools and palettes.
The following hardware and software are required to create images with Microsoft
- Microsoft® Windows® XP with Service Pack 2
- 733 Mhz processor with MMX or equivalent
- 256 MB of RAM
- 150 MB available disk drive space
- 800x600 monitor resolution with 24-bit color
- Mouse and/or digitizer tablet
- Microsoft® Windows® XP with Service Pack 2 or greater
- Pentium 4 processor with MMX or equivalent
- 512 MB of RAM
- 500 MB available disk drive space
- 1024x768 or greater monitor resolution with 24-bit color
- Pressure sensitive tablet supporting the WinTab API or a Tablet PC
- Pixel painting has not yet been optimized and the performance is slow.
Optimization work is currently in progress and drastically improved
performance will be delivered in the final release.
- Importing of .ai files can results in blank documents and under some
circumstances application instability.
- Exporting to non-.xpr vector formats does not persist pixel layer data.
We have included a number of sample files to give you ideas and inspiration.
You will find them in the Samples subdirectory, by default located in "C:\Program
Files\Microsoft Code Named Acrylic\Samples\".