Problem with my STB Voodoo2 , Dots and Grids!

Started by eclypse, 07 August 2008, 22:45:17

Previous topic - Next topic

eclypse

Hey guys.. Original owner of 2 perfectly working STB V2 12MB cards that worked great for years.. Then i get the itch to build an old school gamer rig and run the V2 SLI again and i now have a prob with one of the V2 cards.

I norrowed it down to just one of the 2 cards. I was testing it out using an old graphics bench program called 3dmark2000.

Durring the test i see Pink or purple and sometimes blue dots in the backgound sky in the first test.. Also alot of white grids around on other objects.

Please see the pics and you can clearly see it.

I've also tried Quake2 runing glide and all the textures have dark dots.

Flipping me out hardcore i tell ya.. i've spent the past 2 days solid so far lookin the card over with a loop and see nothing wrong with the card.. Could it be a bad memory chip.. loose pin leg on the GPU or simply a bad cap?

I now have a bad 8MB STB card i could use as a donner card.. as i bought what was supposed to be a 12MB STB card off ebay recently just for the PCI Bracket and i got a 8MB busted up card.
Is it just toast??

eclypse

Oh,forgot to add that i'm using the default drivers right off the original STB install disk. No overclocking.

eclypse

As suggested on another forum to downclock the card and see if its over heating.. Verified that if i run the card at 75Mhz or under the probs are gone!

Cool.. but wht the freak! Never seen anything like this before. I have 2 120MM fans blowing on the card and its overheating at 80Mhz.

Isint 80Mhz the default for these V2 cards?

I dont think i ever tweaked the bios on the card but who knows as its been 10 years now. Is there a program i can use to read the bios on the card?? I'd love to compare the 2 card bios and see if theres a difference as to why one is overheating and the other is not.