a rare glide3x bug? 1964emu , glide64, winXP & v3

Started by ggab, 06 February 2004, 08:08:24

Previous topic - Next topic

bloodworm

Hmmmmm.  part of my problem is that the MESAFX driver doesn't do ANY texture decompression whatsoever.......  the latest NWN patch has removed some of the uncompressed textures and replaced them with NEW higher res compressed textures even though they can reside in the folder side by side (don't know why yet).  this is what is causing the white backrounds and such.  when I revert to the rainbow/colorless OGL driver, everything works good (with the glideXP glide3x driver).  I will try some of this in XP, but XP is hard to keep the drivers from shifting around without you knowing it.......
Bloody Mess

koolsmoky

ggab,
Congrats!

bloodworm,
Please read Daniel's and my post regarding texture compression, how to get it working, etc in the MesaFX thread. And let's focus on win98se. winxp isn't necessary. I have some questions;
1) Have you installed DX9.0b runtime?
2) Have you installed all windows updates?
3) The version of NWN.
4) Is NWN using pre-compressed textures or compressing on the fly?
5) What's your CPU?
6) Does the demo run?

-KoolSmoky

bloodworm

koolsmokey,
sorry it took me so long to respond.... I had to make room on my harddrive for the demo.....

I have all patches for winblows 98SE

DX9.0b must have fixed something with the shadows (they used to be all rectilinear and blobby shapeless and way too big when I was running 8.1b/8.2)), because now they work fine! with the 40404 beta glide3x.dll.

My processor is a celeron 1.4Ghz 100Mhz FSB powerleap upgrade for my Intel SE440BX2 motherboard, 768MB ram, w/V5 5500 AGP.

The demo runs sweet, but with the mesaFX it has one white box at the character picking screen above the character stats where there should be words.  this is the same error I see with the real game, only the boxes are EVERYWHERE.  with the old ICD or the glideXP OGL addon, the white boxes are not there.

My version of NWN is the very latest patch which is the 1.620 update (NWN only, no addons).

The newest patch has the textures all compressed into one file (a DDS instead of a TDA file???)  a few patches before it (ver 1.32) had the TDA files which are supposedly uncompressed for compatibility with older video cards....

PS. I will look into following your instructions on getting the compression routines to work with the MesaFX and it should fix the problems I'm seeing.

Bloody Mess

ggab

bloodworm, next time, post in the correct topic :-)

bloodworm

sorry GGAB!
when I started ranting, I thought it was a glide problem that I was having.....  turns out that glide and/or Mesafx may be acting differently with DX9.0b than with previous DX's, so my ranting in your post has not been a total loss and may help for your problem as well.[8D]
Bloody Mess

koolsmoky

bloodworm,
Thanks for the feedback. Strange that the demo has texture problems. I have a few more questions with the NWN demo;
a) What is the version of MesaFX?
b) Where did you place the MesaFX dll (opengl32.dll)?
c) What resolution and color depth is your desktop?
d) What resolution and color depth are you running the demo?

-KoolSmoky

bloodworm

good questions koolsmokey:

1. the version of mesafx currently is 6.1.0.3
2. I have been placing the opengl32.dll in the D:\Neverwinternights\NWN\ folder.  It IS on my D: drive though....
3. My desktop is running at 1280x1024 32bit.  I have found that if I run my desktop any lower or at the same res as the game, the game will crash or not run at 1024x768 etc....
4. I am running the demo at 1024x768 32bit.....

I noticed that the demo has NO title screens or movie in the intro section, just the NWN splash screen that WILL show up in the game too.  I have only been able to get the intro title screens and movie to show up in the game ONLY if I run my desktop at 800x600 32bit and the game at the same..... THEN the game will NOT show up at all even though the mouse shows up and the music plays and I can hit buttons and all but no screen just blackness.

PS. We should move this to a new post for the sake of GGAB's sanity.
Bloody Mess

ggab

QuoteOriginally posted by bloodworm
PS. We should move this to a new post for the sake of GGAB's sanity.
no problem, maybe i was a little rude with my last post :-), go on here!

bloodworm

Koolsmokey,
I noticed that the latest mesafx has the compression extensions running (via realtechVR opengl extention viewer).  The rev 6.1.0.4 mesafx w/40404beta glide3x lists the S3TC twice in the (extensions tab/capabilities/extension specifics/texture compression) and is missing the RGBA DXT1 compression extention (notice the "A")?

if I use any other glide, the compression extensions are missing (and some others) and the white tabs problem is gone, but alot of monster textures are missing.  also shadows look fine with the 40404beta glide3x.  I am pretty sure the shadows where corrupted using the 30303 glide3x but I didn't see the white out problem then....

also I just checked the demo and there is two places the "textures" look corrupt:  I am not sure that the white I am seeing is textures though.....

1. the journal tabs at the top of the journal;  you can see the tabs and the graphics inside them but the transparency around the tab is solid white

2. character selection screen:  the tab at the top of the character sheet is ALL white solid.  no text.
Bloody Mess