good vcard...

Started by samuraiboy, 26 January 2004, 16:42:14

Previous topic - Next topic

dborca

QuoteOriginally posted by samuraiboy

yup, 3dfx bring so much visual quality with the voodoo5 that they forgot about the framerate issue... as long as the game has good visuals and has a fast framerate, its fine with me...
Wrong! They were always against people's request! They were hanging on speed when people wanted quality, and then after they were hanging on visual quality when people asked for speed.

Example Voodoo3: they brought speed when people wanted quality. That's why nVidia shadowed 3dfx. The lie went bigger when they kept asserting that internal rendering is done in 32bit. That didn't warmed anyone... Because they had the 32bit SVGA core -- and because everything was 32bit -- why they still refused to implement 32bit rendering?
Example Napalm: they brought quality (FSAA) when people wanted speed. That's why nVidia took over in the end. Long time after Napalm was released, there were no CPUS to scale to it. This means FILLRATE. Which is useless, when the CPU dies trying to keep up with the geometry.

Indeed, 3dfx got burned by Napalm!

Oh, and when you remember the mythical Rampage was planned to be released "just after V2". With noone to prove it, I think that was another HUGE lie. [:(]
Regards,
Daniel Borca

samuraiboy

well if rampage was out... it was rumored to have HW T&L + all the graphics quality- WOW!!! but the voodoo2 was the big hit for 3dfx... the banshee thrashed out 3dfx... well, whatever happens, im still a 3dfx fan...

samuraiboy

to amp_man... what games you have run on your pII system with the voodoo5? can you show some screen shots or fps count... thanks!!!

amp_man

unfortunately, I can't give screenshots or fps counts, because it's currently dead, waiting for a new hard drive. I've played GTA2, which runs really nice in Glide mode and 800*600 res, GTA3, which was very poor in FPS even at low detail settings, NFS 3,5, and HP:2, 3 and 5 run great at high details, HP:2 is slightly lagging even at low details. Unreal Tournament at medium settings gets about 30FPS in Glide, and looks better than my 9500 at high details in Direct3D. I know there must be more than that, but that's all I can think of at the moment.
When the sun goes down, the music turns up...

Windows XP Pro|Athlon XP 1800+|Voodoo 5 5500 AGP|MSI K7T266-A|768MB DDR 2700 RAM|SonicEdge 5.1 Sound Card

ArchAngelCD

For that system the Voodoo3 would be the best card. Since it doesn't scale like the Voodoo5 you will be fine.

Asus P4P800 i865PE | Intel 3.2 GHz P4C | 2048 Mb Kingston PC3200 Dual Channel DDR SRAM | 160 Gb Western Digital SATA HD | NEC ND-3520 16X DVD-RW | WinXP Pro SP2 | ATI Radeon X850 Pro | 6-channel AD1985 audio CODEC | 3Com 3C940 Gigabit LAN | Diamond Monster 3D II 24Mb SLI

amp_man

the scaling of the VSA-100, at least IMOHO, would not make it any worse than the V3, and the VSA-100 also has features like 32-bit rendering and FSAA.

Windows XP Pro|Athlon XP 1800+|Voodoo 5 5500 AGP|MSI K7T266-A|768MB DDR 2700 RAM|SonicEdge 5.1 Sound Card

samuraiboy

how can i see the FPS in quake2, quake3 and unreal tournament?

qrazi

quake3: /cg_drawfps 1
unreal Tournament: timedemo 1
quake2: erm... Fraps?
ECS K7s5a@ 147 MHz, Athlon XP 1600+@1825+, Voodoo5 5500 @166 MHz, 512mb pc3200

amp_man

i think all quakes use the /cg_drawfps. in UT, open the console and type stat fps to see your fps as you go

samuraiboy

thats lot of informtion out there... thanks to you all... what card can i combine with my voodoo2 sli in my k6-2 system? is the geforce2 good? can i use the voodoo3 or voodoo5 with my voodoo2?

amp_man

QuoteOriginally posted by samuraiboy

thats lot of informtion out there... thanks to you all... what card can i combine with my voodoo2 sli in my k6-2 system? is the geforce2 good? can i use the voodoo3 or voodoo5 with my voodoo2?

GF2/3 is good, but a V3/5 would be a bad idea, since these cards already do Glide! I would suggest either the GF2/3 with the V2, or a V5 5500, without the V2.

samuraiboy

thanks!!! i can still use the hw t&l capabilities of the geforce in juction with the voodoo2... anyone have used or have the canopus pure3d II LX here? can i combine it(SLI) with an ordinary voodoo2 board? i heard that the SLI port of the pure3d II LX is in the middle of its PCB so you need to use a Long sli cable... is that true?