Il2 Forgotton Battles on W2k

Started by Paul Harrison, 13 January 2004, 01:34:10

Previous topic - Next topic

amp_man

So, where exactly is your problem, anyways? Are you compiling programs for DirectX 8.0, or need to run those SDK demos for some reason? Or are there other apps that don't run? I'm curious why this is even an issue. My V5 worked fine in many DirectX 8.1 games under Amigamerlin 3.0 XP (back when I had it in a different box).
When the sun goes down, the music turns up...

Windows XP Pro|Athlon XP 1800+|Voodoo 5 5500 AGP|MSI K7T266-A|768MB DDR 2700 RAM|SonicEdge 5.1 Sound Card

Paul Harrison

I am just having a play, testing various driver and application combinations, more out of curiosity than anything else, I just noticed it and thought it was worth raising, if no-one reports probkems how do people know to fix them.

Paul

qrazi

hmmmz, well, geforce 2 mx has directx 9 drivers right? try running LOMAC (Lock On: Modern Air Combat) on one of them, it practically wont. despite the fact that Lockon only require directx 8.1. while on the other hand i have no problems running battlefield 1942 (directx 8), flanker 2.51 (directx 8), Max Payne (directx 8), Max Payne 2 (directx 9).

i dont htink it is correct to say that directx 8.1 will just do the features in software when they arent available in hardware. i think it will skip those features. and if you then take into consideration that the vsa-100 is only directx 6 compliant (=has all directx 6 features supported in hardware), its quiet impressive that it runs those new games.
ECS K7s5a@ 147 MHz, Athlon XP 1600+@1825+, Voodoo5 5500 @166 MHz, 512mb pc3200

Paul Harrison

I agree that the Directx runtime, can only emulate certain bits of the functionality, not all of the possible supported functionality. It seesm odd to me that the Amigerlin 3.0 seems to not bother reporting some of the things that it can do, when the Dx App is DX8 or greater. You can only go so far with an old card. Although the voodoo 5 seesm to still hold up quite reasonably.

Paul

ElvIsAlive007

i got it running with any standard 3dfx driver tweaked or not under win98 and that the trick

under winxp it wont bloody show me the fsaa and it seem s very slow

Under win98 its fast and plays 800x600 8x fsaa on my voodoo 6000

i have the full 2x cdr version NICE GAME on the v6000 and it looks mental

screenshots coming hey

Paul Harrison

The problem with the Amigerlin 3.0 seesm subtly different than I first thought, in that it runs all the DirectX 8.1 demos, but only in a 16bpp colour depth. I was trying it in 32bpp depth and they all failed. I can't get the driver to report any 32bpp modes to a game that I am testing with called Gunship, a DirectX 7 game, which lets you select the resoultion to use for DirectX. Is this a known problem, with Amigerlin 3.0

Nightbird

Do you enable in the 3dfx tools "force 32 bits rendering" ?

In-ter-ac-tive :
The way video games were always meant to be played

Welcome to 3dfxzone.it Community