Difficulty configuring new Voodoo2

Started by mxm, 18 August 2007, 13:59:01

Previous topic - Next topic

mxm

I'm new to the Voodoo2 thing.  I recently bought and installed an "Apollo 3dfx Voodoo2" 12MB PCI card (single card, not SLI).  I tried several different drivers from clean installs.  First, I should probably say a bit about my system:

P4 2800mhz with (disabled) inteegrated Intel Extreme Graphics
1.5gb 2100 speed DDR RAM
BFG Technologies GeForce 6200 OC PCI connected to monitor via Voodoo2

When I tried to use FastVoodoo2 4.0 XP and the KoolSmoky driver, the Voodoo2 appeared under "Sound, Video, and Game Controllers" and not "Display Adapters".  I don't know if that's how it's supposed to work, but...

When I tried the LegendGrafix Voodoo2 xtreme, the Voodoo appeared under "Display Adapters" below the "nVidia GeForce 6200" and functioned normally!  I was even able to run Kiss Psycho Circus, with it detecting the card and all three usable available resolutions.  

However, when I'd exit whatever 3dfx program I was running in LegendGrafix, it would send me to a desktop with no start menu and no windows, at 640x480 with my background scaled!  I could tell everything was still there, on a separated desktop because I could open a command prompt blind and alt-enter to fullscreen.  Still, I have to reset the computer to regain control!

Does anyone know what I can do to get it all working?  I'd sure love to play Kiss Psycho Circus again...

Thanks,
Steve

mxm

Well, I tried everything but I still can't run KPC.  Ah well.

I installed fastvoodoo 4.0, wickedgl, and mesafx and tested them with Deus Ex and Serious Sam.  Turns out a lot of the games I have are 3dfx-compatible.

I can't believe how fast the thing is; it outperforms my integrated AGP Intel Extreme Graphics which has slightly more than 5x the memory of the Voodoo2!  In a few cases, it even does better than my GeForce.  Heh, even if I still can't play KPC I don't regret the purchase one bit.

ps47

QuoteOriginally posted by mxm

When I tried to use FastVoodoo2 4.0 XP and the KoolSmoky driver, the Voodoo2 appeared under "Sound, Video, and Game Controllers" and not "Display Adapters".
this is normal,and perfectly ok.

When I tried the LegendGrafix Voodoo2 xtreme, the Voodoo appeared under "Display Adapters" below the "nVidia GeForce 6200" and functioned normally!
you should not use that driver unless you want to alpha/beta test.its not recommended for regular use.

Does anyone know what I can do to get it all working?  I'd sure love to play Kiss Psycho Circus again.
you will need some standalone opengl driver to run KPC,either wickedgl or mesafx (btw,you really should run pure opengl games on your geforce,they WILL look better,use your voodoo2 only for glide games such as deus ex)..it seems like you got things running fine,so if it works,dont fix it anymore.anyway,if you need more help,check out these:
http://helppage.3dfx.sk/#SLIdrivers (also applies to single cards)
http://helppage.3dfx.sk/#wickedgl
http://helppage.3dfx.sk/#mesafx

my recommendation for your system would be (assuming that fastvoodoo2 works ok,if not,go for koolsmoky's driver,be sure to check the readme first):
-clean install of xp and system/geforce/audio drivers
-install fastvoodoo2 (just run the installer and reboot) or koolsmoky's driver (manual install via the device manager,reboot)
-install wickedgl and/or mesafx for 3dfx opengl games (manually copy the wickedgl/mesafx opengl32.dll file to the game folder with the main game's executable)

that should get it working 100%.

mxm

Everything works except KPC now.  Every time it goes from psycho.exe to the main client.exe, it takes up 100% cpu resources for about 2 minutes, loads the intro movies and plays them, and locks up on the title/profiles select screen.

I used the wickedgl ogl with the high resolution, and it does the same, but it'll eventually get to the point where you can select a profile, and very rarely to the main menu screen, but I never got past that.  Baffling.

I got the game to run a few times somehow with my Intel Extreme Graphics integrated, and once with the Voodoo2 in LegendgrafiX, but never again after that.

Something tells me this might be more than a videocard problem, but if anyone does have any insight I'd be grateful.