3dfxzone.it ~ SFFT Drivers ~ MesaFX ~ 3D-Analyze ~ 3dfx Headlines ~ 3dfx Cards ~
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | GoogleSearch | FAQ | 3dfxzone.it
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Index
 3dfx Hardware & Software
 Hints By Advanced Users
 DXTC in v3īs
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Print topic

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fantasma
Initiate

Spain
59 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2003 :  01:26:09  Show Profile  Visit Fantasma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The files 3dfx16vs.drv and 3dfx32vs.dll in the version 4.13.01.0028 which are in mikepedoīs 1.1 driver and x3dfx 1.07.00 drivers supports the dx texture compresion although it results in white textures. Why donīt develop this?

AMD 1800+ xp voodoo3 2000 16Mb 320Mb SDRAM Win 98SE

koolsmoky

101 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2004 :  18:42:59  Show Profile  Visit koolsmoky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's becuase the Voodoo3 hardware doesn't support native DXTn formats. Even if the drivers are able to convert DXTn to other compressed formats that the V3 can handle, it would only be useful for games that pre-load all compressed textures because doing so during game play would be too slow.

KoolSmoky
Go to Top of Page

Fantasma
Initiate

Spain
59 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2004 :  22:12:19  Show Profile  Visit Fantasma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, but you gain compatibility with lots of games and itīs an advance
Also, now I think the most important thing is the compatibility but itīs only an opinion

Go to Top of Page

dborca
Average

Romania

425 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2004 :  09:43:54  Show Profile  Visit dborca's Homepage  Send dborca a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by koolsmoky

That's becuase the Voodoo3 hardware doesn't support native DXTn formats. Even if the drivers are able to convert DXTn to other compressed formats that the V3 can handle, it would only be useful for games that pre-load all compressed textures because doing so during game play would be too slow.

KoolSmoky

Yep! and

Regards,
Daniel Borca
Go to Top of Page

amp_man
Experienced

545 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  01:15:27  Show Profile  Visit amp_man's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, what's the sense of compatability if it will result in 1 frame per 3 seconds? Some things are best left alone, and I think this is one of them. Drivers aren't developed to allow compatability when it will result in a completely useless gaming experience, at least that's my opinion. Sorry mate, but I think the team's time is best spent elsewhere.
Go to Top of Page

Nightbird

1938 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  02:37:59  Show Profile  Visit Nightbird's Homepage  Send Nightbird a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Of course a Voodoo3 user doesn't think probably the same and this is normal that this user hopes something, no ?

In-ter-ac-tive :
The way video games were always meant to be played

Welcome to 3dfxzone.it Community

dborca
Average

Romania

425 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  08:24:02  Show Profile  Visit dborca's Homepage  Send dborca a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nightbird

Of course a Voodoo3 user doesn't think probably the same and this is normal that this user hopes something, no ?

While amp_man has a point, I shall favor Nightbird on this. Back in those days when I had a Voodoo3 only, I would have thought the same. Unfortunately, our team is very small (me & big K) and time is a limiting factor. Perhaps a bit of SW rescaling won't hurt anyone. That is, on condition that the "patch" won't slowdown the driver.

Regards,
Daniel Borca
Go to Top of Page

Nightbird

1938 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2004 :  01:11:29  Show Profile  Visit Nightbird's Homepage  Send Nightbird a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have always my Voodoo 3

In-ter-ac-tive :
The way video games were always meant to be played

Welcome to 3dfxzone.it Community

Fantasma
Initiate

Spain
59 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2004 :  02:23:27  Show Profile  Visit Fantasma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dborca

quote:
Originally posted by Nightbird

While amp_man has a point, I shall favor Nightbird on this. Back in those days when I had a Voodoo3 only, I would have thought the same. Unfortunately, our team is very small (me & big K) and time is a limiting factor. Perhaps a bit of SW rescaling won't hurt anyone. That is, on condition that the "patch" won't slowdown the driver.

Yes, itīs what I mean

Go to Top of Page

Gemail
Novice

Romania
32 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2005 :  20:54:10  Show Profile  Visit Gemail's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is it then possible to disable texture compression in 4.13.01.0028 core? There are still enough "goodies" in those driver releases but the white textures are a big pain in the ass. Is there a reg. key to be add or changed to disable DXTn?
Go to Top of Page

ps47

Slovakia
1461 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2005 :  23:12:27  Show Profile  Visit ps47's Homepage  Send ps47 an AOL message  Send ps47 an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
if you have white textures with a voodoo3,that means the textures are either too large,or compressed (this is caused by the game,not by the driver core-texture compression and other VSA-100 features are automatically disabled for voodoo3).voodoo3 cant display such textures,so it will result in some textures being white.the texture resolution problem can be fixed by running under opengl and using mesafx sw rescaling,but that is not always possible.sw rescaling under D3D should be possible,but I'm not sure if SFFT wants to do it.the problem with texture compression can be fixed as well,but this requires a patch for the problematic game (such as the doom3 voodoo2 patch,or the not released call of duty voodoo2 patch) that will convert the compressed textures to some format the voodoo3 can handle..

The 3Dfx Helppage and Game Guide / Voodoo3/4/5 enviromental variables
Go to Top of Page

Gemail
Novice

Romania
32 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2005 :  13:24:04  Show Profile  Visit Gemail's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So if it is not a driver's core issue, why when I run 3DMark 2001 SE build 330 on my system (Duron 1100@1200Mhz, 256Mb DDR, KT 266A MB and, of course, Voodoo 3 3500TV PAL) with Amigamerlin 2.9 driver (core 4.12.01.0666) all the textures are displayed in corect colour (by the way, I get 2020 3DMarks - is that a good score?) and I get no info about texture compression in the "Display and CPU Settings" section, but when I install Mikepedo 1.1 driver (core 4.13.01.0028) on the same system and I run the same 3DMark 2001 SE buid 330 allmoust all textures are displayed white only and in the "Display and CPU Settings" section clearely states "texture compression" (and runnig the benchmarck I get less than 1700 3DMarks!) ??? I concluded that the 4.13.01.0028 core (Mikepedo 1.1 and other drivers) enables by default the texture compression, allthough it is a feature not supported by the Avenger chip of the Voodoo 3. Because the 4.12.01.0666 core (Amigamerlin 2.9 and others) is also usable both for Voodoo 3 and Voodoo 4/5 and yet does not enables the unsupported texture compression when in use with Voodoo 3, it must be a way to do the same thing with the drivers based on the new core (maybe a registry key?).
Please, there are many guys here that are driver writers, please give me an answer :)
Go to Top of Page

ps47

Slovakia
1461 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2005 :  16:38:33  Show Profile  Visit ps47's Homepage  Send ps47 an AOL message  Send ps47 an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
well..it may be a bug in 3dmark,maybe the beta core is not identified properly.3dmark behaviour is not important,its just a tool for benchmarking,not a game.I had no problems with white textures when using SFFT driver on my voodoo3.but I will load 3dmark and see myself..

Go to Top of Page

ps47

Slovakia
1461 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2005 :  19:56:24  Show Profile  Visit ps47's Homepage  Send ps47 an AOL message  Send ps47 an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
ok,ran 3dmark 2001se on both amigasport and SFFT for voodoo3,and indeed,there are (very) few white textures in the car chase (high),but the rest of the tests went fine (1965 points,wooo).so I would say if you have BIG problems with the white textures,its a bug in the mikepedo driver..

Go to Top of Page

SuperFurryFurryThing
Average

385 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2005 :  19:56:47  Show Profile  Visit SuperFurryFurryThing's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It sounds like the Mikepedo core thinks that your V3 is a V4 or five and so is reporting DXTn texture format caps, are you sure that this core isn't V4/5 only.

SFFT
Go to Top of Page

SuperFurryFurryThing
Average

385 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2005 :  20:00:19  Show Profile  Visit SuperFurryFurryThing's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One further thought, if the driver core is also reporting 32 bit texture caps, it is probably a v4/5 driver core, does 32Mark list options for compressed 16 bit and 32 bit textures.

SFFT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Print topic
Jump To:

Forum Rules

Legal Info

Privacy

Contact Us

3dfxzone.it

HWSetup.it

ForumZone.it

All trademarks used are properties of their respective owners - Forum Graphics and Contents Đ 2001 - 2014 3dfxzone.it - Forum Engine Đ Snitz Forums