MY NEW SYSTEM POSSIBLITYS

Started by LD, 17 December 2003, 11:13:48

Previous topic - Next topic

LD

Hello everyone i am new but i am a long time 3dfx owner and fan
i need some advice to make a long story shorter i am thinking seriously about up grading from my pentium 3 to a pentium 4
right now i am running my asus p3v4x mobo with 640mb of pc133
and a p3 700e @ 826  and i would really like to upgrade to an asus pentium 4 motherboard but i am very concerned that my voodoo 5 5500
might not be compatable with any of them even the ones that have the 4x agp slots and the sis chipsets .

Here is a list of asus motherboards i an considering.

ASUS P4SDX
ASUS P4S800
ASUS P4S533X
ASUS P4PE-X

The price range i am looking at is under $100.00
i would hate to buy a new mobo only to find out it wont work with a voodoo 5 any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Sincerely LD.

osckhar

Hi,

Welcome to the FORO ;)

The v5k is agp2x. Then You need looking for a MOBO with support to agp2x. For me the best options is CHIPSET SIS 645 O 645DX. These mobos has support agp1x, agp2x and agp4x.
I have 2 motherboard with the chipset 645dx.
ABIT SA7
DFI NS-72
And Everything perfect :D

Thanks
Regards
Oscar

Rolo01

Have a look at www.voodoo6000.com
In the resources section there is a list of compatible motherboards ( and if they are compatible with the V5-6000, the 5500 will run, too :D ).

ArchAngelCD

Don't buy the Asus P4PE-X board because it's not compatible with your Voodoo5 AGP card. All P4 motherboards that use Intel Chipsets are incompatible with Voodoo AGP cards other than the Voodoo4 4500 AGP. If you have a Voodoo5 5500 PCI you can use any P4 motherboard you like. Some of those SiS chipset board you have listed might not work either because they are AGP 8X boards. Make sure they support 3.3v AGP cards before you choose.

Asus P4P800 i865PE | Intel 3.2 GHz P4C | 2048 Mb Kingston PC3200 Dual Channel DDR SRAM | 160 Gb Western Digital SATA HD | NEC ND-3520 16X DVD-RW | WinXP Pro SP2 | ATI Radeon X850 Pro | 6-channel AD1985 audio CODEC | 3Com 3C940 Gigabit LAN | Diamond Monster 3D II 24Mb SLI

LD

Thanks for the help, i really want an asus pentium 4 mobo to work with one of my voodoo 5 agp cards.
I have been studying the specs and reviews on sites like asus.com and new egg.com etc but i am still not sure which ones will work.
It just seem to me that any board with a 4x slot should work with it i think it just seems logical that it should?
i am obviously confused i wonder if there is anyone out there who has an asus pentium 4 mobo with an agp voodoo 5 in it.
i would really like to see what it could do on an over 2 ghz system.

Thanks for you input i value it.

Sincerely, LD,

Nightbird

a P4S533 without the X will be OK
(P4S533-X only supports AGP 4X (1.5V only))

In-ter-ac-tive :
The way video games were always meant to be played

Welcome to 3dfxzone.it Community