3dfxzone.it ~ SFFT Drivers ~ MesaFX ~ 3D-Analyze ~ 3dfx Headlines ~ 3dfx Cards ~
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | GoogleSearch | FAQ | 3dfxzone.it
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Software Platforms and Apps
 Linux Distibutions and Open Source Software
 running compiz and beryl on voodoo
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Print topic

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

1 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2007 :  15:55:29  Show Profile  Visit 11010010110's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I want to run compiz or beryl.

I want to know
1. whether a voodoo card will work here
2. what voodoo card do i need
3. PCI or AGP
4. what drivers etc do i need
5. what x servers are supported

PC : pentium 4 w. gentoo linux

17 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2007 :  01:54:05  Show Profile  Visit Dr.Yak's Homepage  Send Dr.Yak an AOL message  Send Dr.Yak an ICQ Message  Click to see Dr.Yak's MSN Messenger address  Send Dr.Yak a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
After some testing I can say that :
OpenGL 3D acceleration is working nice again in latest versions of Xorg 7.2 and Mesa, as long as you provide a Glide3x library ([url=http://www.3dfxzone.it/enboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3262]as discussed elsewhere[/url]).
Also a couple of extensions are supported like GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap (necessary for compositing = drawing windows not onto screen, but into buffers and then using those buffers as texture inside compiz).

But ! This is not sufficient !
- Currently 3DFx drivers only supports power-of-two texture sizes (256, 1024 or 2048 pixel wide texture, for exemple, but nothing in between). This is a problem for compiz, because it uses the windows' buffers as texture for compositing and those windows could be any size, not only powers of two. Also, I currently don't remember if it's a hardware limitation (VSA-100 can only do power-of-two textures), Glide limitation (Glide is partially used as a backend for Mesa3D on Voodoo) or if the openGL driver is only too old (quite possible that everything is ready for arbitrarily-sized textures but wasn't implemented yet).

Also other non-critical obstacles :
- VSA-100 can't do AGP texturing, i.e.: It can't autonomously pull textures from main memory. Thus buffers with windows content have to be manually loaded into GPU memory.
- typical (unmodified) Voodoo have low memory. But for 3D-hardware assisted compositing you must allocation enough memory for double buffering + enough memory to hold the buffer with the content of every window (as I said, no AGP-texturing). So even if the texture-size problem is corrected, you'll be still limited to lower resolution where everything can fit inside the 32Mo per VSA-100 (64 with modified Voodoo 4s)

Q: What would happen if the value of pi was changed ?
A: The universe should reboot.
Go to Top of Page

284 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  17:42:31  Show Profile  Visit ms-dos's Homepage  Reply with Quote
so you are saying that it dose not run compiz or beryl
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Print topic
Jump To:

Forum Rules

Legal Info

Contact Us

All trademarks used are properties of their respective owners - Forum Graphics and Contents 2001 - 2014 3dfxzone.it - Forum Engine Snitz Forums