Different version of Voodoos on the same PC?

Started by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman, 27 November 2006, 10:27:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

Well, I just browsed through the FAQ of each Voodoos, but what I found is quite surprising, if not shocking.

First, it seems that it's possible to combine Vooodoo2 and Banshee.

Quote10. Can I use a Voodoo Rush card with V2?

Yes. Any 2D card will work with V2. In the case of Voodoo Rush and Voodoo2 in the same machine you would choose Voodoo2 when the game begins.

And, according to this FAQ, it is possible to put Voodoo3 and Voodoo2 on the same PC.

QuoteQ: Can I use a Voodoo3 with a Voodoo2?

A: Yes, but why?. The Voodoo3 is a standalone product with 2D and 3D combined. No other graphics card will be required.

Now, many people says that it's impossible to put two different version of Voodoos on the same computer, but the FAQs above has shown two cases where it's possible: Voodoo2 with Vooodoo Rush, and Voodoo3 with Voodoo2.

Makes me wonder: have anyone tried putting Voodoo1 with Voodoo5? Is such thing possible? And at best, what do you get?

The reason being is that because some GLide games seems to refuse running on Voodoo5. I have EF2000 V2.0, which is a DOS GLide games. Alas, it refuses to work with my Vooodoo5 despite my tinkering with GLide Environmental Variables. And while I don't have Mechwarrior 2 - 3dfx Edition, I heard that the game will only work with Voodoo1 --it won't even run with Voodoo2.

So is it possible to put both Voodoo5 and Voodoo1 on the same PC? The Voodoo5 will handle GLide 2.x and 3.x games (mostly Windows GLide games, I guess), while the Voodoo1 should handle Glide 1.x games (games like EF2000 V2.0, Blood, and Jetfighter III).