PII detected as Celeron?

Started by amp_man, 29 November 2003, 05:57:47

Previous topic - Next topic

amp_man

I have a Pentium 2 (in my sig) that I love, 'cause I can overclock it to death and not care. My problem is that Windows, the DirectX Diagnostic tool, and 3D Mark 2001SE all pick this up as a Celeron, although Rain 2.0 detected it as a PII. Does anyone know how to fix this?
When the sun goes down, the music turns up...

Windows XP Pro|Athlon XP 1800+|Voodoo 5 5500 AGP|MSI K7T266-A|768MB DDR 2700 RAM|SonicEdge 5.1 Sound Card

qrazi

do they still detect it as a celeron when you run it at stock speed? perhaps they just see 466mhz and decide it must be a celeron (which had a 466mhz version)
ECS K7s5a@ 147 MHz, Athlon XP 1600+@1825+, Voodoo5 5500 @166 MHz, 512mb pc3200

amp_man

yes it was detected as a Celeron at stock speed and at 434mhz, which was my previous OC, until I got bored the other day, lol. When I look at the System Info under 3D Mark '01, it states the Family is Celeron, but the Model is Pentium II. It also shows no L2 cache, when I know very well this processor has 512k.

Windows XP Pro|Athlon XP 1800+|Voodoo 5 5500 AGP|MSI K7T266-A|768MB DDR 2700 RAM|SonicEdge 5.1 Sound Card

amp_man

CPUID and WCPUID also show this as a Celeron, with no L2 cache. but the POST screen shows a PII

EDIT: I believe I've found the issue. I took off the HS/casing (SECC2) and on the backside, the lower left hand hole has some scratches around it. I'm not sure what the previous owner did to this, but it was Gateway OEM and in the stock HS/SECC casing when I recieved it, I installed the SECC2 myself. Anyways, I believe these scractes are on some sort of pipelining for the L2 cache, which makes programs that use this to determine the difference between celeron and P2 to find it a P2. These scratches just barely go through the green coating, but it's the only physical problem I can find. Also, they appear to possibly connect a few unused resistor sockets.  I tried taking a pic, but my camera is really crappy. If anyone has any other suggestions, I haven't given up yet.