Win XP install + hot CPU

Started by Friday, 14 November 2003, 00:33:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Friday

Something stupid happened to me 4 times. On four different computers (all with athlon cpu's) the Win XP install failed. First time I didn't know what went wrong, it just stopped while transfering the files from CD to HDD (it couldn't copy some files). So I tried again, and again, and again...[:(!]
After 5 hours (stupid me), I checked the CPU temp in bios. It was over 60°C!!! I've opened the case, put HUGE fan to blow inside it, and then - VIOLA! That happened 3 more times, and each time the problem was solved with the "huge fan". The last time cpu temp was around 45°C, but still it didn't work (maybe the sensor was a junk). I install WinXP very often, but this only happened to me with athlon CPU's. It's just amazing. The owners of those computers never had any problems with them in everyday work (never crashed or something), but CPU's simply refuse to install WinXP if you don't get a nice big fan for them.
So people, if you go somewhere to install XP, don't forget the fan.;)

amp_man

wtf? I've never heard of that. Which version of XP have you been installing? I've reistalled XP Pro Corporate on my machine five or six times, never had a problem. It just has a regular old CoolerMaster fan on it. I've added more cooling since, but I never had that problem even beforehand. Are these the classic Athlons, or the XPs? Do they all have the same core?

When the sun goes down, the music turns up...

Windows XP Pro|Athlon XP 1800+|Voodoo 5 5500 AGP|MSI K7T266-A|768MB DDR 2700 RAM|SonicEdge 5.1 Sound Card

Friday

One of them was XP (never had problem with Duron's). I don't know about the core. The version was Pro each time. I felt so stupid first time. People thought I don't know how to install Windows. They almost called some other guy to do that. The install almost every time stopped while transfering the file crypt32.dll. And on few other files (oembios.bin). But they never had any problems with windows before or after that, just while installing.

Manuelson

maybe too hot house.. ;)