3dfxzone.it ~ SFFT Drivers ~ MesaFX ~ 3D-Analyze ~ 3dfx Headlines ~ 3dfx Cards ~
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | GoogleSearch | FAQ | 3dfxzone.it
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Index
 3dfx Hardware & Software
 Voodoo4/5 Discussions
 Linux Driver for V5 5500
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Print topic

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

amp_man
Experienced

545 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2006 :  04:27:56  Show Profile  Visit amp_man's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Okay, I've been away from the 3dfx community for, oh, I don't even know how long. I'm actually somewhat amazed and delighted that this site still exists. Now, down to business. I'm playing around with various distros on a 466MHz Celeron with 256mb of ram, gentoo is the current flavor of the week, but I'm looking at several others. I know there are drivers out there (and even included in the kernel) for the V5 5500, but last I knew, they only used one of the VSAs. Is this still the case? And is there a patch or seperate driver to support both GPUs? Also, I see that XiGraphics has a driver that allegedly (according to x-3dfx) supports both gpus. Does anyone have experience with this? 3dfx isn't even listed on their homepage, which is why I ask. Thanks for any info!

Edited by - amp_man on 05/09/2006 04:31:18

dborca
Average

Romania

425 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2006 :  22:06:05  Show Profile  Visit dborca's Homepage  Send dborca a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by amp_man

I know there are drivers out there (and even included in the kernel) for the V5 5500, but last I knew, they only used one of the VSAs. Is this still the case?

Yes.
quote:
And is there a patch or seperate driver to support both GPUs?

No.
quote:
Also, I see that XiGraphics has a driver that allegedly (according to x-3dfx) supports both gpus. Does anyone have experience with this? 3dfx isn't even listed on their homepage, which is why I ask. Thanks for any info!

In theory, it is possible to use all GPUs. But with DRI, it requires changes in the X server. Non-DRI options still exist, like DGA (quite obsolete) or CINIT (direct hardware access). I wrote the code for DGA and CINIT, but encountered some problems and never finished it.

Regards,
Daniel Borca
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Print topic
Jump To:

Forum Rules

Legal Info

Privacy

Contact Us

3dfxzone.it

HWSetup.it

ForumZone.it

All trademarks used are properties of their respective owners - Forum Graphics and Contents 2001 - 2014 3dfxzone.it - Forum Engine Snitz Forums